Sponsored by:

Recommended Location for Power Inverter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommended Location for Power Inverter

I am going to install a permanent power inverter in my '01 X. Are there any recommendations, tip, tricks, or advice from someone that has done it already? The end result will be to utilize the 110 outlets from the newer Ford vehicles to install in the front, mid, and rear of the truck.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I havn't seen the new outlets from the later Fords. Got a Pic?

Assuming you're looking at a 1500 to 2000 watt unit:

In any case, a good place to put a large inverter a thousand watts or more MIGHT be under the middle seat. The other option is to bolt it to the floor behind the rearmost seat. another option is to find one that will fit in the jack?rear A/C compartment. (make sure of enough room for ventilation)

space it at least 1/2" from the carpet, and use it for heavy loads only when the seat bottom is lifted away to allow heat to dissapate. Light loads won't make enough heat to worry about the seat Whatever you do, though, you will want the cables that feed the inverter to be as short as possible. Try to get it as close to the battery as you can. Under the seat is great if you hang an aux battery on the frame under the truck at that location. Cables are real short.

Don't put it under the hood. Most of the ones we can buy are not rated for the weather or the heat under there.

To determine the right size wire from the battery to the inverter, read this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-type.html

Wire it as if it was a constant static load. No need to let the wires get hot to save a couple of dollars. Keep your voltage drop low by the right wire size. Every extra millivolt the inverter sees on the input means less heat the inverter produces and more watts going out the line.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
My tripp lite is behind the 2nd row seat passenger side. I used 1/0 welder cable from a 250 amp fuse. http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...a60760300b.jpg http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...301e237026.jpg

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine sits under the rear side of the front passenger seat, with controls facing the second row passenger. Had it there for three years now and never a problem. This location allows me to reach over and turn it on/off safely. Ran battery cable under carpet for permanent connection. I also ran a color matching 110V power cord from the inverter to the front area for convenience.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been wanting to do this, and have a few inverters from back when I was playing with minitrucks and things but don't know if it's worth buying a new one or not. Any one I get will be hard wired in, not going to the cigarette lighter

Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I've been wanting to do this, and have a few inverters from back when I was playing with minitrucks and things but don't know if it's worth buying a new one or not. Any one I get will be hard wired in, not going to the cigarette lighter
Agree with the hardwire method, plugging into a cigarette lighter socket is only good for 400watt and below (my experience), above that it's risky and wire/devices get too hot.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Thanks for these suggestions! And yes, this will be hard-wired. I'll show you all what I'm cooking up once the project really kicks off. I recommend you hard-wire any loads that are expected to exceed 150 watts.

Here is a pic of the outlets I picked up. They have a hard plastic flap, and should work great.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I had a 2011 with the inverter and an outlet in the back of the console......they are junk. One slight hit to the side and it wont connect. I took it apart and its the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen. I would use an after market outlet if you can find one.

Also, I found that the power points charged faster than the inverter. It was crap. Im hoping you have an after market power inverter... the Ford system, again, was crap. Not sure how you can supply a 110v outlet properly with 20ga wires. Crap, crap, crapity crap.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Anyone wanting a good inverter should visit a truck stop. OTR truckers use good quality inverters to power their appliances while on the road. Just an idea for you if finding a good inverter is a challenge.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
I'm planning to install a marine inverter. They are pricier, but are better built to handle any rugged issue. It's overkill, but I don't really want to mess with this once I have it in place. 2 GA wire will be fed to the inverter.

Which brings up a secondary question: Do I want to connect it to the secondary battery (passenger side) or the primary (driver side)?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
When I installed my 2000w inverter I had already had a double 00 welding cable connected up front to both batteries through a 250 amp fuse running along the frame to the rear of my ex at a terminal block which connects to an air compressor in the jack compartment using a continuous duty relay. And also connects to the inverter through another continous duty relay. The actual location of the inverter is behind the drivers side interior trim panel in front of the spare tire. Kind of hard to get to for repair (so far so good). I also installed a plastic splash shield around it without cutting off air flow. I have an outlet in the same trim panel behind the spare tire next to the rear barn door as well as the front & rear of the center console. The relay is controled by a switch in the overhead console.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_model'a'
When I installed my 2000w inverter I had already had a double 00 welding cable connected up front to both batteries through a 250 amp fuse running along the frame to the rear of my ex at a terminal block which connects to an air compressor in the jack compartment using a continuous duty relay. And also connects to the inverter through another continous duty relay. The actual location of the inverter is behind the drivers side interior trim panel in front of the spare tire. Kind of hard to get to for repair (so far so good). I also installed a plastic splash shield around it without cutting off air flow. I have an outlet in the same trim panel behind the spare tire next to the rear barn door as well as the front & rear of the center console. The relay is controled by a switch in the overhead console.
That seems like an excellent space to put an inverter. Right now I am a little stuck with taking all of the panels out because the bolt for the rear seat-belt appears to be rusted in place. My ratchet and pipe aren't doing the trick so I'll have to have the dealership get involved. More to follow.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This is great info.. rep'd everybody I could..

Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these posts, no pics.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
IMHO, the only inverter to go with is a cobra, I've have a small 400w for over 10yrs now in my semi(powers tv, dvd, and laptop) I had in my peterbilt a 2500w one that ran microwave, coffee pot and toaster at the same time.(still have that inverter just not the Pete). Here's where I mounted the 2500w in the X just haven't wired it yet, need 15-17' leads(only had 10' from my Pete)
This is under the 2nd to on the left side top of pic is face the front.