Sponsored by: Moser

'75 F100 4x4 budget build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usuallybowtie
After getting the truck on the trailer I started realizing that the body wasn’t actually too bad and the frame and suspension were both really solid. I decided I would give it a chance. When I got it home I got it in the garage and started looking at the engine.

jb
Funny how they grow on us, it's like they are calling out to us, "Save Me! Save me from the scrap metal yard!"

Chevy to Ford, huh? I went Dodge/Jeep to Ford myself

Last edited by ZarK-eh; 12-03-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: chevy, dodge, ford... all cool!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
He is showing that IQ's can increase in time!

Here I thought we were all wired at a certain IQ level. This guy went from a Chebby to a real truck! Good for you!

Just kiddin you BTW, your build looks great so far. Don't get burned out. It's cool that the daughter is out working on it with you. You may just be saving here from genetic Chebbiness! Keep up the good work.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm not abandoning my Chevys. Just branching out. I own an American Motors car too seen in some of the pics.

Owned an '89 Bronco II and '71 LTD 2dr hardtop in the past. Only kind of miss one of those...and it ain't the Bronco.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
LMAO

I'm not abandoning my Chevys. Just branching out. I own an American Motors car too seen in some of the pics.

Owned an '89 Bronco II and '71 LTD 2dr hardtop in the past. Only kind of miss one of those...and it ain't the Bronco.

Have you ever heard anyone (Not on heavy Medication) say," I really miss that 88 Bronco II, what a great truck!" ROFLMAO

Those were some of the worst rigs ever. Very few trucks were fodder for the Suzuki Samurai owners to make fun of, but that was the one!

One thing about going Ford, you sure can't go to Walmart and buy a new crate 350 like you can with the bowties. You need to find the right combinations on stuff as you are finding out, we dont just have BB and SB.

Good luck on the build and don't forget to keep us posted.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Beedub109r
Have you ever heard anyone not on heavy medication say," I really miss that 88 Bronco II, what a great truck!"
Hahahaha, this post was perfect.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 AM
usuallybowtie
Senior User

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
New fuel tank and sending unit. Wasn't planning on getting one so early but a deal fell in my lap. Couldn't get the sending unit in for several minutes. Compared it to what was left of the one I took out of the old tank and found that it had a few degrees less of a bend in it causing it to bottom out in the tank before the flange seated. Had to put it in the vice and bend it until it matched the old one's angle.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Doc_G
Senior User
New fuel tank and sending unit. Wasn't planning on getting one so early but a deal fell in my lap. Couldn't get the sending unit in for several minutes. Compared it to what was left of the one I took out of the old tank and found that it had a few degrees less of a bend in it causing it to bottom out in the tank before the flange seated. Had to put it in the vice and bend it until it matched the old one's angle.

Shouldn't that tank have a vent tube hole in the top of it? I have the same tank in my '74 (I believe) and I have to pop the cap from time to time to relieve pressure in the tank.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
I think there is a vented and non-vented tank available. This is the version that I could get at a discount so I went with it. I have a vent line on the frame from the old tank. Guess I'll remove it and get a vented gas cap.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Doc_G
Senior User
I think there is a vented and non-vented tank available. This is the version that I could get at a discount so I went with it. I have a vent line on the frame from the old tank. Guess I'll remove it and get a vented gas cap.
Let me know if you find one. I've got the same tank in my 74 when I replaced the old tank thinking the same thing. I've not been able to locate one that fits to my satisfaction and actually works like it should.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 AM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Doc_G
Let me know if you find one. I've got the same tank in my 74 when I replaced the old tank thinking the same thing. I've not been able to locate one that fits to my satisfaction and actually works like it should.
Have you not tried the ones LMC sells that are listed for the tanks without Evaporative Emission Control? Or have you tried them and they are the ones that don't work right for you?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
AMC? I had an AMC Eagle, and can say I've owned all three (Ferd, Chebby, Cry-sler) in ONE CAR!

How hard would it be to use a hole saw and cut a hole for the evap system? A deal is a deal, and AFAIK a hole is a hole...

Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
Shouldn't be too hard, I guess. Now would be the time as there's never been a single gas fume in the tank yet. Anybody know what the tank vent hole diameter is?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Shouldn't be too hard, I guess. Now would be the time as there's never been a single gas fume in the tank yet. Anybody know what the tank vent hole diameter is?
1 5/16" Hole and the sides are smooth as a baby's bottom ... possibly to prevent damage to rubber gasket.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Doc_G
Senior User
Have you not tried the ones LMC sells that are listed for the tanks without Evaporative Emission Control? Or have you tried them and they are the ones that don't work right for you?

Have not tried them. Have ordered a few things from LMC in the past, can't say I have much confidence in their parts. For $20 (part plus shipping) I may just give it a shot.

Quick Reply: '75 F100 4x4 budget build