Sponsored by: Moser

F150 idles with pedal to the metal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Dalevee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 idles with pedal to the metal

Engine disengages and won't respond to accelerator after starting from a stop. Truck begins to move forward 20 to 100 ft then the engine loses all power and won't respond to the accelerator.

Tach drops all the way down and the truck stops. Sometimes anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds it will reengage, rpms up and start accelerating. Other times I have to shift into park then the engine reengages.

Usually occurs at slow speed in a parking lot, stop light etc but it has also happened accelerating on an on ramp to I12.

1) Dealer checked it and replaced a couple plugs and wire because the code showed one cylinder with occasional misfire. I told them This wasn't misfire.
2) problem continues. Dealer finds no codes and drives it 35 miles in a week wo occurring. It happens again next day to me.
3) Dealer puts diagnostic capture with red button to push when it occurs. Will hold data for four events. One occurs as I pull out onto the highway in front of dealership. Roll backwards down hill into dealership lot so auto transmission must be disengaged. Put in park and engine renegades. Happens again after 20 ft. Dealer finds no codes and all data appears normal.
4) dealer tech drives it do another week. 75 miles. Nothing. Take it home Friday and it happens Saturday pulling from a stop sign in the middle of the intersection. Pump with no response for ten seconds then both engine and transmission eventually reengage.

Happens hot or cold.
I typically drive with a light touch because a fast candy apple red super crew with a loud exhaust tends to draw attention from those with badges!

Leaving work in the evening is like playing frogger and I don't want to be road kill!

2011 f150 SCrew Platinum 5.0 v8 auto

Last edited by Dalevee; 07-14-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Clearer info
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
welcome to the forum!

sorry to hear about you having such a time trying to get this figured out!

There have been some reports of a bad ground underneath the battery tray wreaking havoc with the PCMs and BCMs. a bad ground can do very goofy things.

I'd have a look-see underneath the battery tray and see if there is a ground connection you can identify as problematic.

see if there is any info in these threads that might help you out.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-2009-a.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-problem.html

Maybe our Ford Customer Service rep can help, too.
Where 'ya at Crystal?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Dalevee
New User
Thanks! I'll take a look this morning. I'm switching trucks with the service manager for a few days so he can have a crack at it too. It has to be electronic for both the engine and transmission to disengage but the engine stay running. Even a normal idle will make a truck move but this loses all forward thrust. Not exactly what you would want pulling a 19 foot Cobia out of Lake Pontchartrain. Make it the slowest red submarine in the bayou.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
...Maybe our Ford Customer Service rep can help, too.
Where 'ya at Crystal?
Here I am, meborder!

Originally Posted by Dalevee
Both engine and transmission disengage when starting from a stop. Truck begins to move forward 20 to 100 ft then the engine loses all power and won't respond to the accelerator...
What's the current mileage on your truck, Dalevee? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Dalevee
New User
First incident about 6-9 months ago. Told dealer about battery ground. Thx!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Dalevee
New User
30,850 miles

It's still a baby

Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalevee
It's still a baby
Thanks for following up, Dalevee. Send a PM my way with your info and I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Dalevee
New User
Crystal, I am a newbie so I cannot send PM.
However the dealer called and imagine that... 52 miles and no occurrence. going to pick it up again.

Its friday rush hour so if I don't return, the logs got the frog.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Dalevee
New User
Similar Issue - different thread . Is it the Electronic Transmission?

2 times were on my street at low speed just out of my driveway. It's like the engine shuts down for a while and maybe downshifts too. Feels like someone is stepping on the brakes for a second and then all is back to normal.

Last time I was getting out of a restaurant and accelerating hard to get up to speed on a 70km/h road. The downshift happened while I was going almost 70 but still in low speed so the braking effect was severe enough to throw me forward. Once again everything was fine the next second.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14464543

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Dalevee
New User
Anyone smarter than this f150?

Dealership gave up and gave it back. Engine / transmission problems continue. Saturday from a full stop it accelerated normally into traffic and then the engine remained at 2000 rpms with the accelerator to the floor as the transmission seemed to go into a glide mode - in traffic of course where I couldn't pull over to the shoulder. After a 10th of a mile it went back to normal.

My plan is to cut a 2x2 foot hole in the floor board so I can pull a Fred Flintstone and use my feet to "yabadabdoo" my way out of trouble.

Yes a $60k truck with more computing power than it took to build the Atomic bomb or get to the moon... and I'm back in the Stone Age. I hate computers.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Dalevee
New User
Throttle Body Computer?

After two months since I first took the truck to dealership they still have it. I was able to take a video of the instruments with the tach showing 1400-1600 tons for 54 seconds with the accelerator to the floor and a top ground speed of granny in a walker before it re-engaged and went back to normal. The wrench showed and the only code was "over speed". One service guy thinks it may be the throttle body computer but they don't want to replace it for fear it won't fix the problem and Ford won't reimburse them.

My fear is that the Ford onboard computers see this as "within normal range" so it doesn't throw a code. That likely means that there is a software bug in the way it is programmed. Since it won't show a fault code there is nothing to corroborate the issue if a driver takes it into a dealership. They didn't believe me until I brought them the video. Heck I didn't bring it in for months as it was intermittent.

Then I started thinking about How many f150's or other Ford vehicles have the same software parameters?
With over 30 years in the tech business I know programmers tend to reuse software code objects that "work" which means that section of the software would probably not get as much attention as a newly written object. However once you change one part of a system it becomes a totally different beast.
Could be a throttle body module or another computer module. But it's not safe for an engine to go to idle in an intersection.
Ideas?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should now be able to PM Crystal... get her involved.

Document everything in case you need to lemon it.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Dalevee
New User
Truck Back with fingers crossed

Originally Posted by tvsjr
You should now be able to PM Crystal... get her involved.

Document everything in case you need to lemon it.
Thanks. I am with these posts as well as the docs although this is the first time in weeks that the dealership even gave me docs when I picked it up. Probably because My first survey was not "happy" two months ago. For as many times as I have been there over two months and judging by the body language and faces of service manager and service staff I am probably not high on their weekend barbecue list. Fully understand but this is not going to solve itself!

That said they replaced a sensor in the transmission that they said if malfunctioned would put the truck in 5th gear so it wouldn't move forward from a stop. But the video shows the electronic transmission stayed in 1st the whole incident and the engine RPMs were 1400 to 1600 range with the petal to the floor. Doesn't sync with what I have in my data but at least someone is trying their best guess vs no action. I'll drive and find out. Ether the sensor or they may have reprogrammed the engine and or trannie settings too because the truck feels different as all of my gear shifts -- going into 3rd 4th 5th and 6th gear ... are quicker. When you only drive one vehicle 95% of the time you know the rhythm. It's changed. Maybe for the good but time will tell.

Going to play F150 Frogger. Wish me luck!