Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Trying to follow ..
So you have these loose ?

Next these bolts

Now under the flat spot of the bottom of the transfer case put your floor jack or whatever your using .. Temporarily lift it an inch .. Now put a piece of 3/4 " black pipe or similar across the frame right above the rear yoke of the transfer case .. From the pipe then around the yoke tie it off with a piece of rope .. Now lower the jack .. The weight of the transfer case should be temporarily secure .. The cross member should now be free to slide out the back .. Once it's free and out position your jacks to slide everything back and down and out .. First of course lift the transfer case to take loose your temporary suspension rope .. That's how I do it on my 79 ..

"Down and out"

Old 08-30-2014, 02:04 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rich
On my way back from HF where I picked up a transmission jack. I can move the crossmember back and forth but can't find a spot where one side will drop out of frame

Old 08-30-2014, 02:24 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,280 Likes on 2,438 Posts
Thanks to redroad for the assist. Can it twist so to speak? One side slide fwd, one back?

It should work, do you have the center mount removed all the way?

Like redroad said support the xfer case with a piece of pipe on the lower frame rail...

Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
With these bolts free on both sides of the cross member slide it back past the transfer case ..

Drop one side of the cross member to the bottom lip of the frame rail while holding the other end of the cross member to the top lip of the frame rail .. In that position spin it like a propeller and your out .. You may have to convince it she's coming out with a hammer ..

Edit : My bad ! I was thinking of something else .. The cross member can only slide forward because the frame starts to narrow after that cross member when moving back .. So slide it forward over the spring shackle upper mount and past the trans .. Now drop the trans and transfer case .. With the trans and transfer case out you will now have room to remove the cross member as I described above if you need to do so to paint it if you'd like .. "Ball of confusion"

The Spinners

Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Originally Posted by redroad

Edit : My bad ! I was thinking of something else .. The cross member can only slide forward because the frame starts to narrow after that cross member when moving back .. So slide it forward over the spring shackle upper mount and past the trans .. Now drop the trans and transfer case .. With the trans and transfer case out you will now have room to remove the cross member as I described above if you need to do so to paint it if you'd like .. "Ball of confusion"
Ahhh! I just came in from the garage completely frustrated and then read this. I thought I was going crazy because it did seem like the frame got narrower when I tried to move cross member back. I removed the transfer case mount on the drivers side and everything, but still no good. So I have to try and maneuver it over the front spring shackles? I'll give that a shot.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM
BossFan
Elder User
No way that crossmember is going to clear the front spring shackles. they sit about 1/4" off frame. Should I remove one of them? Both?

It does look like I can move the crossmember forward enough to drop the transfer case, and then slide it back enough to drop the transmission. I can’t believe it’s designed that way, but what dp I know. Is that an option, and if so, where do you separate the two? The bolts coming directly out of the transmission or where the coupler housing bolts to the transfer case?

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 06:34 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
So I have to try and maneuver it over the front spring shackles?
Yes that's right if you want to take the transfer case out with the trans .. Otherwise you can move the cross member under the trans and drop the transfer case .. Then move the cross member back and drop the trans .. Then take out the cross member .. Just remember the first thing back in is the cross member ..

Music for working on your truck

Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Separate at the transfer case at the adapter housing then slide the transfer case back with your new tranny jack .. The trans output shaft slides out of the transfer case as you slide the transfer case back If you need to go that way .. You have the trans supported by the engine hoist through the shifter hole correct ?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM
BossFan
Elder User
ok, I'll give that a shot. Had no idea changing a clutch was so involved!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Just so I'm clear, I disconnect the transfer case from the tail housing, so the shift linkage for the transfer case remains attached to the transmission. Correct? I'm not sure I'm calling everything by it's correct name.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
DO NOT REMOVE THE FRONT SPRING SHACKLES.........

Remove the xfer case lever (the big bolt on the dvrs side that holds it to the xfer case). And get it out of your way.

If you can not get the cross member removed how ever (shot of cutting it in half lol), so you can drop trans and xfer case as one piece, then yes separate the 2.

CAUTION EACH PIECE IS HEAVY trans 120 lbs, xfer case 130 lbs.

Separate them like redroad, said use the hoist to hold the trans and the new trans jack on the xfer case, slip them apart where the middle adapter attaches to the xfer case. MAKE THAT XFER CASE IS ATTACHED (CHAINED) TO THE TRANS JACK BASE, IT CAN FLOP OFF THERE AND HURT YA IN A HEART BEAT.

Leave the trans bolted to the bell housing for now and after the xfer case is off and out, then take the adapter then the trans itself, and then remove the trans.

Sliding that dam cross member which ever way it needs to go. Having fun yet? Hang in there, see why getting to know your FTE state chapter members is such a great idea.

You did read all the PFD file I PM 'ed you right?

Attached Images     
Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 AM
BossFan
Elder User
Ok, thanks. I posted on kikkup's thread to see if he removed them both at same time or split them.

That red paint looks cool on that transfer case? Is that a special paint?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
No idea on the paint, just a web pic so you could get a clear idea of what is where.

Sorry I do not have all the answers, like I said, hang in there unless its your DD for monday, is so you better get off the computer and get on getting that trans and transfer out. lol

Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
BossFan
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
No idea on the paint, just a web pic so you could get a clear idea of what is where.

Sorry I do not have all the answers, like I said, hang in there unless its your DD for monday, is so you better get off the computer and get on getting that trans and transfer out. lol
Haha. Too funny. . Not my DD, so I'm good as far as getting to work. I am in garage now and trying to get to that t-case shifter rail

Quick Reply: BossFan's '78 F250 build