Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair price to offer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P

Timing is set at 11* with the SPOUT removed.

I am going to look at a parts Flareside this week. I can look at the gate if you want.
I was thinking more like maybe the balancer has shifted and the timing marks are off.

Don't sweat the gate, got a project in mind that would need one but it's a ways off. I can imagine those suckers are worth a few bucks though.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM
clarkbre
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
...I think I might call the guy back and discuss what he wants from it before I drive out there.
I think he already listed that in his ad.....$1000.

As someone who sells stuff on Craigslist, a call like that annoys me more than anything. When the first question from a potential buyer is "How low are you willing to go?", my quick response is "How high are you willing to pay?". It kind of stops them in their tracks. Also, be realistic about it. If this was a late model F150 and he was askig $20k for it, would you offer hime $10k and think of that as a fair offer? As a seller I would advise you to return to your car quickly and leave!!!

Honestly, go look at the truck...it's a slap in the face to the seller if you start talking $$$ without seeing it. How do you justify a $500 offer if you haven't seen it?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by clarkbre

As someone who sells stuff on Craigslist, a call like that annoys me more than anything. When the first question from a potential buyer is "How low are you willing to go?", my quick response is "How high are you willing to pay?". It kind of stops them in their tracks. Also, be realistic about it. If this was a late model F150 and he was askig $20k for it, would you offer hime $10k and think of that as a fair offer? As a seller I would advise you to return to your car quickly and leave!!!

Honestly, go look at the truck...it's a slap in the face to the seller if you start talking $$$ without seeing it. How do you justify a $500 offer if you haven't seen it?
I completely agree.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
BocceMon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a '92 Flareside XLT 4X4 with the custom canopy. It is in showroom condition and I picked it up for $1200 at an estate sale. I totally understand the "Flareside Empire" thing, I LOVE my truck. I wish I could find a parts truck to have for future use. $400-500 sounds like a good price to me. I wouldn't take a million for mine. Well, yeah...maybe I would.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I see what you mean. I think I'm going a little too quick here. Gonna go look at it Sunday and I'll decide when I get there. I know what I can spend so if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Last thing I want to do is insult the guy when there is a chance for a good deal.

Thanks again guys for putting me back on track.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I was thinking more like maybe the balancer has shifted and the timing marks are off.

Don't sweat the gate, got a project in mind that would need one but it's a ways off. I can imagine those suckers are worth a few bucks though.
Guy got back to me. Seems really cool. I asked about the running boards on the parts Flareside. He said one is cracked but if I came and pulled them they were free, brackets included, which is the part I want.

As for the balancer, maybe but I have my doubts. The motor only has 50k on it. But again, maybe.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guy got back to me. Seems really cool. I asked about the running boards on the parts Flareside. He said one is cracked but if I came and pulled them they were free, brackets included, which is the part I want.

As for the balancer, maybe but I have my doubts. The motor only has 50k on it. But again, maybe.
If you are interested in the truck, I would suggest you hurry, if you wait he may have it parted out before you get there......

Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Different person, different truck. Going for those tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think he already listed that in his ad.....$1000. As someone who sells stuff on Craigslist, a call like that annoys me more than anything. When the first question from a potential buyer is "How low are you willing to go?", my quick response is "How high are you willing to pay?". It kind of stops them in their tracks. Also, be realistic about it. If this was a late model F150 and he was askig $20k for it, would you offer hime $10k and think of that as a fair offer? As a seller I would advise you to return to your car quickly and leave!!! Honestly, go look at the truck...it's a slap in the face to the seller if you start talking $$$ without seeing it. How do you justify a $500 offer if you haven't seen it?

Yess i hate ppl that try to talk me down on price over the phone and then ask where your located when its listed and then say oh thats too far.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordka
Yess i hate ppl that try to talk me down on price over the phone and then ask where your located when its listed and then say oh thats too far.
See for me, if it is a long trip I do talk money over the phone if the ad is OBO and I feel the price is a little high. In this case it is about 55 miles each way and I don't think I would pay $1k for it with what it needs so getting an idea of how flexible he is helps me decide if it is worth it. But this time, I won't be talking money over the phone. I'll go see it and then decide.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can understand that but when ppl try cutting prices in half that is what gets me. Id say prolly $800 for that truck.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordka
I can understand that but when ppl try cutting prices in half that is what gets me. Id say prolly $800 for that truck.
At first look, me as well. However, having talked with him about the issues it has we will have to see. The body is good, paint is rough, interior is rough, clutch is toast, brakes need work, has some electrical issues, over 190k miles and it has been sitting for the better part of a year. It needs a full tune-up of all filters and fluids, plugs, wires, cap and rotor ect. These don't seem like much, but they add up.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
In a situation like Evan is in I tend to ask a few price probing questions that aren't firm just to get an idea. For example "how stuck on your price are you?" Just be rather honest "It's a long drive, before I head off in that direction I want to have an idea of how negotiable you are if when I get there and it's not worth your asking price" You're not making some half price offer that just gets rejected, but you can generally get a real good idea from the sellers answers to questions like that.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok so an update. It has 190k miles and has been sitting about a year. It need a major cleaning inside and out. Passenger side window doesn't work. Gonna go look at it Sunday. If everything else checks out I will probably offer $400-$450 to start.
Keep in mind he could scrape it for that no fooling around with endless phone calls and tire kickers, if its worth going to look at its worth waiting until you get there to talk price. The opportunity for small talk gain a feel for where that fine line between a reasonable offer and a just plain insulting offer is in the process for vehicle like that.

And always have cash in hand back up any offer, none of that I'll have to go get the money especially on a low offer.

Based on asking price and what info you have on it, its worth a drive to look at it that is if you're truly interested.

If you low balled me like that I'd run you off so quick your head spin for wasting my time. No one expects to get asking price and no doubt neither does he but going in that low will no doubt be thought of insulting regardless how you lay it on him.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a good project. You might be able to get it on a tow dolly under its own power. Keep us updated

Quick Reply: Fair price to offer?