1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

"Power steering" classic issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Power steering" classic issue...

So, I've read all 8 pages of power steering threads I turned up while searching and haven't come up with an answer to my question yet...
Both my old 97 CCLB 4x4 PSD auto lifted w 35s and my new 96 CCLB 4x4 PSD 5spd lifted w 35s have displayed the same symptom as others have described in some old threads I've read. What happens is at idle it's harder to steer than when you have some revs, driving around is fine, no noises, no leaks, nothing unusual just at idle when trying to palm the wheel quick for a maneuver.. Now I realize I have larger than stock tires; for those of you who've got 35s or larger is this a normal symptom? I know I DO NOT need a pump so forget that, the box it nice and tight and the pump is good, I drove my old 97 this way for 90k and never needed a pump, it was just a trait it had at slow speed.
Is there a "OBS PS pump mod" out there somewhere I'm overlooking or a retrofit of another PS pump or a smaller pulley? I'm not looking to shell out for a AGR etc, just looking to make some sense of this condition and a shadeTree solution.. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Larger tires and a heavy motor make a pretty good workout for that ps pump. I did see a thread about someone changing to a different pump and he did say it worked well but it also needed some mods to the accessory drive. I'll see if I can find it
I also just came across this
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...upgrade-37182/

Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Larger tires and a heavy motor make a pretty good workout for that ps pump. I did see a thread about someone changing to a different pump and he did say it worked well but it also needed some mods to the accessory drive. I'll see if I can find it
I also just came across this
Power Steering Pump Upgrade? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
That's a good find!! I saw something about drilling out an orifice but it dead ended; looks like there's a fine line between drilling it out just right and too much leading to blowing the HP hose off the box.. This is by far the most wallet friendly tho... More than likely I'll do that.. For those of you who are curious about this symptom it's legit, I'll quote the thread;

"The stock pump just don't put out enough power for the larger tires I have, especially when you do a lot of offroad playing in the rough stuff. I looked into the AGR Performance Rock Ram Kit. The only problem is they don't make a pump that will work on our older model trucks bracket. On the SuperDuty's they use a Saginaw P-series Pump that requires modification on the superduty type bracket.
AGR Superduty Install Instructions (Page 3)
I talked to Kevin at AGR and he said to get the high performance you need the Saginaw type pump.
So I went down to Ford and found out I'd be into the Superduty brackets $300 by the time I bought the power steering pump/alternator bracket, and the superduty airconditioner pump bracket, then I'd have to redo my airconditioner lines to fit the rerouted air conditioner pump.
Kevin mentioned the Ford Econoline Van was the only Ford that came with a Saginaw Pump stock. Does anyone have any ideas for me. I'm down to three options.
1- Find a powerful pump that will attach to my stock 95 bracket?
2- Spend a lot of $$$$ for superduty stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
3- Find an option through the econoline van?"

I've also read a bunch of high praise about redhead steering boxes but not gunna go there if I don't have to...

Sounds like there's a full pump swap out there too for under $100

"Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerJoe
I was able to convert my PS pump on my 97 F-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke to the 20-6244 Saginaw pump. I picked it up at Napa for just under $100 dollars with a core exchange. I have to admit my stock Ford PS pump worked well and it was not a whiner like a lot Ford pumps tend to be. My reason for converting was to have strong and powerful pump for my Mile Marker winch. My stock Ford pumped worked well for steering my truck, but I needed a pump that I know is up to the task of putting out enough power to get the most out of my winch, and I don't feel my stock Ford PS pump can do what the Saginaw can. I had this winch on a 91 F-250 with a 351 before this truck and that pump was a whiner and did not seem to put out the power needed get full power out of the Mile Marker winch. So figured it would be best to swap in the Saginaw PS pump on my current truck that is known to be strong and reliable and definitely will put out more power to run my winch. My original plan was to swap in an AGR pump that fits the old Saginaw ham can, but I could not find any info on doing this on the 7.3L Powerstoke in the OBS trucks and was not sure what modifications I would have to do to make it work. Finally sourced out my answer from Performance Steering Components that using the Saginaw pump in the ham can would not work on the Powerstroke since it will not clear, but they make a conversion kit to use the Saginaw type pump on the Powerstroke that uses an external reservoir for the fluid for about $500dollars. At about the same time I discovered the 20-6244 Saginaw pump made to replace the Ford PS pumps on older Ford trucks. I heard of a lot people using this on a wide variety of years and motors in Ford trucks and it has pretty much the same shape as the stock Ford PS pump used throughout several years on most Ford cars and trucks so I figured it should work on the Powerstroke too even though I have not heard of anyone converting their PS pump on a Powerstroke engine to the 20-6244 pump. Maybe I'm the first, but I found out first hand that it does fit. I did have to modify my PS pump bracket in order to get it to fit, but it was not too involved to do. The stock Ford pump has nubs that stick out for the mounting holes and the 20-6244 Saginaw conversion pump has a horse shoe bracket mounted to the front of it so that it will mount up to your existing PS pump bracket, and horse shoe does not clear a protrusion on the right side of the PS pump bracket, but this can be can cut back and then the pump will fit. It does not sound like this has to be done on other brackets for the gas engines, but in order to get this pump to fit on the bracket that is on the OBS Powerstrokes you have to modify it slightly. My serpentine pulley fit just fine on the 20-6244 pump. You will need a pulley puller to remove the pulley from the stock pump to re-use on the new pump. The 20-6244pump comes with the tool needed to press your original pulley onto it. You will need a different pressure line, and this goes for the trucks with gas motors to from the 90's and assume most 80's too. I think the older trucks in the 70's used a different fitting on the pressure line that fits onto their pumps, and I believe the 20-6244 pump takes that fitting. Being that I have the Mile Marker winch, it replaces your pressure line with a line that has threads for putting on different fittings, and in the kit I got with the winch it came with a couple different fittings and one of them happened to be the correct one to fit the 20-6244 pump pressure fitting. I've been running this pump for a few days now and so far it's been great, and the steering is smoother and easier. I don't have the winch hooked up to it yet, but should here shortly and anxious to see how it performs under this pump."

Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
This is an interesting topic. Subscribing for future reference.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
This is an interesting topic. Subscribing for future reference.
I'm hoping some pics will surface...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Me, too. A write-up with step-by-step photos and instructions would be very helpful.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Got4wd
Senior User

Here's some pics of how I did the 6244 pump. I can tell you that it will be near impossible to find one since they quit making them. I did come up with a idea to use a high flow psc pump. I just need time to put it all together. I think this will be a better option than what I have now. Do not use the AGR pump. They suck. The replacement C pump they make for our trucks produce too much volume for the reservior. It foams and makes a ton of noise. The saginaw one is made for the SD trucks and you have to hack the bracket pretty bad. My idea is to use a psc pump. Remote reservior with baffles and a pulley that is smaller, just a little to get the volume moving faster. I am running hydroboost (ported) also.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Me, too. A write-up with step-by-step photos and instructions would be very helpful.
Its not hard. You simply remove the pressure valve from the side of the PS pump. It comes as 1/8 (main hole), from the factory. You simply drill it out a size or two at a time until you get what you like. I believe mine is drilled out to 5/32, or 7/32.

In all honesty, as far as the PS system goes. The restriction is in your pressure line, where it makes the bend to transition to the swivel fitting. With the crimp in there it is something crazy small like 1/8 ID.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Got4wd

Here's some pics of how I did the 6244 pump. I can tell you that it will be near impossible to find one since they quit making them. I did come up with a idea to use a high flow psc pump. I just need time to put it all together. I think this will be a better option than what I have now. Do not use the AGR pump. They suck. The replacement C pump they make for our trucks produce too much volume for the reservior. It foams and makes a ton of noise. The saginaw one is made for the SD trucks and you have to hack the bracket pretty bad. My idea is to use a psc pump. Remote reservior with baffles and a pulley that is smaller, just a little to get the volume moving faster. I am running hydroboost (ported) also.
Thanks for that, do you know what the 6244 came in, maybe I can "pick a part" at the local salvage yard if it comes to that.. If I understand correctly it worked well for you? I believe you had to mod the hp line fitting out of the pump as well correct? Did you mill the bracket, those look like machining marks. Thanks!!

Quote:
Its not hard. You simply remove the pressure valve from the side of the PS pump. It comes as 1/8 (main hole), from the factory. You simply drill it out a size or two at a time until you get what you like. I believe mine is drilled out to 5/32, or 7/32.

In all honesty, as far as the PS system goes. The restriction is in your pressure line, where it makes the bend to transition to the swivel fitting. With the crimp in there it is something crazy small like 1/8 ID.
Appreciate that too, I think this'll be what I do but it's nice to get the feedback from everyone in the know.. I feel like this thread is a good contribution.. Unless I overlooked one/some others when I searched the other day...

Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Thanks for that, do you know what the 6244 came in, maybe I can "pick a part" at the local salvage yard if it comes to that.. If I understand correctly it worked well for you? I believe you had to mod the hp line fitting out of the pump as well correct? Did you mill the bracket, those look like machining marks. Thanks!!
It was manufactured by A1 Cardone, as a solution to the horrible Ford PS pump situation. They discontinued the pump in 08 or so, and years past that all the stock in the country has dried up. A1 will now only rebuild the pumps, so you have to send yours in and have it rebuilt.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Got4wd
Senior User
The picture with the 90 fitting is there so you can use the oem hose. I had a custom hose made as you can see in one of the pics when I ported the hydroboost. I did machine the bracket. It can be cut with normal tools but I have a guy with a CNC that does all my cool work.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Got4wd
The picture with the 90 fitting is there so you can use the oem hose. I had a custom hose made as you can see in one of the pics when I ported the hydroboost. I did machine the bracket. It can be cut with normal tools but I have a guy with a CNC that does all my cool work.
Roger that, my old boss has a nice milling machine I can use if I go that route, thanks..