1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coolant filters

Old 06-26-2014, 02:06 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jose, the b5089 filter i run, is on my ih water pump.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
I installed a bypass filter a few years ago because I didn't want to change out a perfectly good Ford waterpump just to get the built-in filter of the International.

Also, it was easier to plumb than the changes necessary to install the International.

Also, if I need a pump on the road, I'm presuming it would be easier to find a Ford than the International, since the Ford is in all the books for my year-and-model compared to a converted hybrid.

All this is just the stream-of-consciousness I experienced those few years ago.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
I installed a bypass filter a few years ago because I didn't want to change out a perfectly good Ford waterpump just to get the built-in filter of the International.

Also, it was easier to plumb than the changes necessary to install the International.

Also, if I need a pump on the road, I'm presuming it would be easier to find a Ford than the International, since the Ford is in all the books for my year-and-model compared to a converted hybrid.

All this is just the stream-of-consciousness I experienced those few years ago.
I subscribe the same school of thought...

Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Tayln has a point about how expensive it is.

Basically you need brass fittings, the filter base, the filter, some hoses, clamps, and a piece of metal to mount it on.

I was able to get a hold of a Diesel Site unused kit from a forum member who opted to go the IH water pump direction and bought from him for like $75 lol.
But still $100 isn't bad considering parts would be $40 or so(all depends on how saavy of a shopper you are).

It also worked well and was manufactured well. The minute I took mine off I had 3 friends asking about it. Sold it easily! LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
I understand your comfort in knowing you could find a OEM pump if you were ever in a tight spot, but water pumps don't catastropically fail all that often (at least not with proper cooling maintenance).
I am pretty sure my pump that I replaced was factory, and it never really 'failed' it was still keeping my truck cooled its just the bearing/seal or whatever was bad and it was weeping coolant CONSTANTLY!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Jose, the b5089 filter i run, is on my ih water pump.
Ah, OK, that answer my question, thanks a lot my friend.
Also thank to you Glenn.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Oil guard comes with the fittings too.

I litterally bough 5 things.

Filter head, hose, pipe clams and 2 T-s as well as a filter.

I'll take a picture, its just a pita to post to FTE.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
I subscribe the same school of thought...
Corey, did you see the post 39 and 41?

Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Corey, did you see the post 39 and 41?

I did! Thanks. I like the isolation ball valves! I was thinking about doing a differential psi gauge set up as well.. In not doing a WP until I have to but more than likely will be doing a bypass this time home. Question, when you refilled your system, did you use that Fleetguard everyone talks about?

Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
I did! Thanks. I like the isolation ball valves! I was thinking about doing a differential psi gauge set up as well.. In not doing a WP until I have to but more than likely will be doing a bypass this time home. Question, when you refilled your system, did you use that Fleetguard everyone talks about?
You are welcome. No Im using the Motorcraft Green coolant. I cant get the Fleetguard here in my town.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I have a question, if you have your charge where its suppose to be, will adding a charged filter over charge the system? I got a Carquest 89071 (exact same as a NAPA 4071) or is it the same principal as take it as it needs it? Or do you need to wait untill it needs a charge before you can add a charged filter?

Basically what I'm asking is, its designed to maintain the charge not add to it correct? So in theory changing to a charged filter should get it to/keep it where its suppose to be. I hope that made sense...

Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
So I have a question, if you have your charge where its suppose to be, will adding a charged filter over charge the system? I got a Carquest 89071 (exact same as a NAPA 4071) or is it the same principal as take it as it needs it? Or do you need to wait untill it needs a charge before you can add a charged filter?

Basically what I'm asking is, its designed to maintain the charge not add to it correct? So in theory changing to a charged filter should get it to/keep it where its suppose to be. I hope that made sense...
I think the general rule is to use non charged coolant, with an SCA treated/need release filter. Or to use SCA treated coolant and non SCA filter.

I just looked at Penray and they state their filters contain a synthetic membrane that allows SCA's to be released from it based upon corrosive degree of the coolant. They also state that they are to be used with pre charged.

I also looked at Donaldson and they appear to have several types of SCA filters:
Pre-Charge which takes care of initial SCA concentration plus maintenance levels, to filter change.
Standard Charge which maintains SCAS from a good base level, to filter change.
Blank/no charge.
Donaldson Endurance Plus which releases chemicals over a period of time, maintaining good levels (maybe same as standard charge?)

Guess I didn't realize there was this much to a coolant filter system.

What happens if the coolant system is overcharged with additives?
A: Over charging or over concentrating a coolant system with additives will result in the formation of solids. These solids will form deposits that drop out and clog passage ways in the system preventing proper heat transfer. These solids are also very abrasive and will permanently damage surfaces they come in contact with. If a coolant filter is in use, it will be quickly plugged up.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if i have the green, non charged coolant, and then add the conditioner to get it where its suppose to be, I can put a need release filter on and not over charge? Just want to make sure I get it before I go doing it and over charge the system

Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I have no idea if this is correct or not. I used SCA treated, ran it for 10K then added the Penray. IDK

Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
So if i have the green, non charged coolant, and then add the conditioner to get it where its suppose to be, I can put a need release filter on and not over charge? Just want to make sure I get it before I go doing it and over charge the system
That should be fine Thomas. You can use the test strips from napa and double check it doesn't get overcharged, but shouldn't.

Glenn, I see no problem with what you did either. Should be just fine. I haven't tested mine since I put the charged coolant in, I don't have the right test strips for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant filters