Sponsored by: Moser

New Truck - need opinions/feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 AM
PB65stang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck - need opinions/feedback

I registered for this forum back in 2009 when I had a 2000 F-250 5.4 that I used for my landscape company, but apparently never posted. Before that, my family had a 1990 F-150 4.9 inline 6 (which really cemented my love for Ford trucks). Obviously you can tell by my username that I'm also a Mustang guy, and I have long been a Ford guy. Not necessarily a diehard, but Ford always got my first look and was the one to beat.

Now, that being said, here's my situation and what I need some advice on. I currently have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma crew cab that has been a great dependable truck, but was recently rear-ended square in the hitch (possible frame issue) and pushed into the car in front of me with resulting front end damage...so in other words, it's either totaled or close to it, and with possible frame damage and the towing I do, I'm not going to keep driving it. Because I tow the Mustang occasionally, have plans to get a boat in the next few years, and am a bigger guy (6'2"), I'm going full-size.

Since 2009, I've wanted a King Ranch. I've driven the 2009+ enough to know what they ride like, drive like, and get for MPG. However, because I want to make the right decision, I've driven all 3 of the domestic 1/2 tons. The RAM Laramie with the EcoDiesel was OK, but the interior wasn't up to par and it's no longer an option. The Sierra SLT/Denali and Silverado LTZ are great riding trucks with good MPG, good power, and a nice warranty on the powertrain. The 2014 KR I drove was everything I expected it to be, but you definitely notice it's age compared to the 2014 GM trucks. I don't want to buy until driving the 2015 F-150, but I'm not sure really how much better it will be (plus cost is a factor).

So - my basic questions: Those with 2014 trucks, did you compare them to other brands? If so, what swayed you? How has the MyFord Touchscreen been (heard of issues), and the truck overall? Would you wait for the 2015, if you could do it over again? What it boils down to is I'm trying to decide whether to try and get a steal on a 2014 KR, wait for a 2015, or get a 2014 GM (which I can get employee pricing on through my GF's family). Sorry for the long first post, but as you can see I am generally conflicted. I love Ford, but I don't want to buy something outdated that will have issues, and I don't want to regret my decision. Thanks in advance for any input, opinions, or comments you may have.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
With the 2014's nearing the end of their model run, the frame and suspension are 10 years old. The interior is most definitely dated being five years old and the body though still very attractive in my eyes is also in need of a major change.

Can you wait for the 2015 F-150's? They're due out later this fall / winter as I understand it. It will employ the latest and greatest features on the market for sure.

The 2014's will be aggressively marketed for certain and may be worth some serious consideration.

By 2016, GM and Ford's joint 10 speed transmission venture will see fruition.

Note I didn't give GM and recommendations and I won't for many reasons that run from quality issues to political reasons that we cannot and will not discuss here.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 2013 Platinum, so many of my features carry to your wanted KR.

I did NOT do a head to head comparison per se, but working in the wireless phone tower industry I get to see and put my hands on many of the new trucks on a monthly basis. For me the Ford has always been the best compromise of style, comfort, ride, capacity, efficient and bang for buck.

I've seen, not ridden in, the new Ram. It "looks cool" to the eye with dual exhaust, front end styling etc, but I could not come to love the new interior. I honestly cannot get past the new Chevy/GMC twins and their square lines and low overhangs. The Toyota has a new nose that I will never grow to love. Style to me is key, especially if I'm going to spend this kind of coin.

That said, I LOVE my Platinum. Unique leather. Woodgrain (faux but still) that looks lovely and dark. Brushed accents and dark interior. It's just a grown up truck that I get compliments on nearly daily. The MyFordTouch system has its quirks, just like any computer, but mine has worked somewhat flawlessly. The only thing I can complain about is that it randomly resets my ambient lighting and the dimming setting on the display about once a month. Honestly...that's my ONLY complaint and its pretty small on the grand scale.

In the end, we are comparing apples to apples with the full size class. Each has their own attributes...ride quality, quickness, creature comforts, efficiency and style. To me Ford competes in the top two in each of those categories.

The 2015s have some love and hate things for me. I like the idea of it being 500-700lbs lighter, but the front end is taking me a while to warm up to. I'm sure they will be nice, no doubts there, but I'm always tentative with the first year of a new model run.

Regardless, it's your hard earned money. Spoil yourself how you see fit. In my opinion it's hard to go wrong with a King Ranch as they are gorgeous trucks. Good luck in your search. It sounds like you're taking the right approach.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Try towing 8 or 9k with the 2014 GM 1/2 ton and that will eliminate that choice real quick.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
PB65stang
New User
Thanks everyone for the replies, these are the kind of things I was looking to hear. To answer the person who asked, yes I am waiting until the 2015s come out before I make a decision, if for no other reason than the 2014s will be probably be significantly discounted to get them out of there. One thing I am reading is that the 2012ish+ KR leather is not up to par with previous generations, which has me looking at similarly equipped Lariat (in a 2014). But once the 2015s come out and we know features, options, packages, etc., that will help the process.

My hope is that the 2015 blows it out of the park, and convinces me to stay Ford, which I've wanted for 5+ years now. Whether it's a Lariat or a KR with the new Mesa leather (which is supposedly thicker and more comparable to older versions), as long as that truck can get it's interior and refinement on par with the new GM, that will probably be the direction I go. Hopefully the MyFord Touch is improved, as well.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
From what I know, none of the future King Ranch trims will have real leather ever again. It was too difficult for the typical consumer to condition the seating surfaces enough to prevent the staining and fading that so many of these trucks see. Pretty much every "leather" in these trucks is coated with a protective layer. Yes, some are more supple than others, but none feel like real leather.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM
PB65stang
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
From what I know, none of the future King Ranch trims will have real leather ever again. It was too difficult for the typical consumer to condition the seating surfaces enough to prevent the staining and fading that so many of these trucks see. Pretty much every "leather" in these trucks is coated with a protective layer. Yes, some are more supple than others, but none feel like real leather.
I didn't know that about the future KR leather, in fact I had even read some stuff that said it was more of the "traditional" saddle leather that came in the older trucks. I do 100% agree with you that in the current generation, there isn't much of a difference in the leathers outside of color and stitching, hence a Lariat maybe being a better option cost-wise vs. a KR. I love the Platinum interior, but refuse to do another black leather/interior. I really wish they offered the grey they had back in 2012 or so.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Whats wrong with black leather? its heated and cooled afterall.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM
PB65stang
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Whats wrong with black leather? its heated and cooled afterall.
It clashes with my OCD . Shows dirt and wear more, basically. I had a Mazda that had black leather, and I swore I would never do it again. I cleaned that thing religiously, but every little piece of dust would just scream at me. And I couldn't keep it from cracking, no matter how much I kept it conditioned and cleaned.

I think it looks great new and clean, but I would drive myself crazy if I had it, especially in a truck I cared about. I really like tan and grey leathers.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PB65stang
It clashes with my OCD . Shows dirt and wear more, basically. I had a Mazda that had black leather, and I swore I would never do it again. I cleaned that thing religiously, but every little piece of dust would just scream at me. And I couldn't keep it from cracking, no matter how much I kept it conditioned and cleaned.

I think it looks great new and clean, but I would drive myself crazy if I had it, especially in a truck I cared about. I really like tan and grey leathers.
I also have the black leather interior like McDavis in my platinum...and love it. They are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat on ESPECIALLY for long periods of time!!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I really like tan and grey leathers.
While it's not gray like some companies "Stone" leather, it's also not stark black like my 2006 FX4 was. It's almost like a charcoal, somewhere between black and gray.

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I also have the black leather interior like McDavis in my platinum...and love it. They are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat on ESPECIALLY for long periods of time!!
Damn right! We now travel in the Plat and not in the wife's TSX.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure do love my heated and cooled BLACK leather in my Lariat! LOL! After the 2015 F-150's come out, any left over 14's will go for deep discounts, I bet. If it turns out the 15's don't do it for you, a 14 will be a cheaper cost option. The present 150's may be a bit dated now, compared to the competition, but the Fords are still a force to be reckoned with.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM
sd75mac
Freshman User
I love my black seats in my Lariat also. In my EB Expedition, those light colored seats are too hard to keep clean.

With regards to the 2015 F150s, I was bit real hard with new Ford technology on the 2003 EB Expedition and the spitting spark plugs. I'm still fighting that battle with only two more waiting to spit at any time!

Last edited by sd75mac; 06-25-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM
PB65stang
New User
Hopefully I didn't strike a nerve with anyone who has black leather! I think it looks good, it's just not for me. Black (or dark) interiors simply just aren't an option for me, just like a black truck would be lower on my wish list than other colors. I have looked more and more at the new interior and come to the decision that I need to wait until the 15s are out, drive them, and then decide whether the upgrade is enough to justify the price over a 14.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
sd75mac
Freshman User
Hopefully I didn't strike a nerve with anyone who has black leather!

Naaaa, no striking a nerve with me. Just stating my likes. Everyone has a preference, one way or the other.

Quick Reply: New Truck - need opinions/feedback