Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello.Help. May Day..Tune Up for 1995

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM
dj delite
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hello.Help. May Day..Tune Up for 1995

Hey everybody 1st to say this is a very nice forum. I like the participation amongst all an popularity this place has. Im glad to stumble across so thanks in advance to any members how chip in any cents to this thread. Also nice job mods..

So ive done some reading an searching in the threads but I guess specifically this will be the best to help my needs since Im not truck savy at all.
Im getting a tune up from a good mechanic but I need some suggestions cause I dont want to mess anything up

1) Spark plugs????? any recommondations to brand Im looking for price range of 4-8 dollars a piece or maybe thats silly is Bosch ok to get?

2) Headlight bulbs?? any suggestions I just want something that will be easy for the mechanice to take out an replace no crazy re-wiring?

3) He wrote down I need a P.C Valve? I have no idea i typed that in on the internet cant seem to find that

4) Dist. cap and Rotor Cap he wrote down i needed as well? I think these are the same two pieces that go together for the sparkplugs

5) Do you think I should get this F150 Truck Ignition Coil??

Finally please add any good sites or any 2 cents ideas that could help me. I honestly want to take advantage of the situation before this guy retires he just charged me 30 dollars to replace my starter of course i paid for the part but Ford wanted 400 total I spent 110...big difference.... Thanks ill check back to this post often....

Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by dj delite
Hey everybody 1st to say this is a very nice forum. I like the participation amongst all an popularity this place has. Im glad to stumble across so thanks in advance to any members how chip in any cents to this thread. Also nice job mods..

So ive done some reading an searching in the threads but I guess specifically this will be the best to help my needs since Im not truck savy at all.
Im getting a tune up from a good mechanic but I need some suggestions cause I dont want to mess anything up

1) Spark plugs????? any recommondations to brand Im looking for price range of 4-8 dollars a piece or maybe thats silly is Bosch ok to get?I prefer Champion Truck Plugs in my truck (Jeep)

2) Headlight bulbs?? any suggestions I just want something that will be easy for the mechanice to take out an replace no crazy re-wiring?Get some Sylvania replacement bulbs, the super bright ones. Should be about $50 a set. I do most of my driving at night so I prefer them. They are direct replacement for what is in there now.

3) He wrote down I need a P.C Valve? I have no idea i typed that in on the internet cant seem to find that..Positive Crank case Valve. I've never been a brand specific for these.

4) Dist. cap and Rotor Cap he wrote down i needed as well? I think these are the same two pieces that go together for the sparkplugs .. Get the best brand the store has, always been told to make sure they have brass contacts. I run MSD cap and rotor on mine, but they came with the set when I converted my Jeep to the Ford TFI ignition.

5) Do you think I should get this F150 Truck Ignition Coil??..Is your coil weak? if so replace it if he didn't suggest it I wouldn't bother. What about your plug wires? If he is not recommending them then maybe he feels they are OK to run. If you do replace them then get a good quality set
Finally please add any good sites or any 2 cents ideas that could help me. I honestly want to take advantage of the situation before this guy retires he just charged me 30 dollars to replace my starter of course i paid for the part but Ford wanted 400 total I spent 110...big difference.... Thanks ill check back to this post often....
All these parts you can get from any local parts store. Just don't cheap out on parts get good ones.. There will be many opinions on what brand is best . If you can find Motorcraft Brand then get those. Some things are available without going to the dealer. Amazon is a good place to find parts online. You can also get alot of reviews on certain stuff you are looking for. There again you'll have a ton of different views but weed through them and find what you feel is best.
You are probably in for about $100 in parts or so depending on coil and wire replacement it will go up.
There's my nickle ninety-eight's worth.
Good luck

Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) AutoLite copper plugs have always worked real good for my Fords. Don't waste your money on them silly 4-electrode Bosch (or other brand) junk.

2) Do your research. I bet if you go over and search around candlepowerforums.com, you'll get more info than you ever wanted to know. Look here for a start: <a href=http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?231144-Brightest-9007-bulb> CPF</a href> and since that thread got closed, there's a little more reading <a href=http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?13227-Best-white-headlight-bulb-for-car> here</a href> and even more to be found if you search around!

3) PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve. I'd run Motorcraft (Ford) brand, they are only a few bucks.

4) Cap, rotor, plugs, and wires are normally replaced all at the same time. I like either Ford/Motorcraft, or MSD.

5) No, if you don't have any issues after doing the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, then you don't need a coil.

Advice... read up on the Sixlitre tuneup, then do the work yourself. Or, print it out and ask the mechanic to do it for you. It's basically just new ignition components, a bigger plug gap (over stock spec) and bumping the ignition timing a couple degrees (or as much as your particular engine will tolerate without pinging).

Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
dixie460 is right on the money for everything up there.

I spend time on candlepowerforums as flashlights tend to me my 2nd obsessive hobby. Most guys there recommend the philips xtreme vision. I've run silverstars in the past and don't much care for them. They do appear brighter, but this is more of an illusion than anything. In my opinion, I would say they seem to make shadows darker by tricking your eyes into perceiving more light, by tilting the spectrum towards blue. I have a set of the xtreme visions that I have had sitting around for a couple months, just haven't swapped them in yet.

My dad put them in is '04 and says he does like them.

Also, to expand on what Dixie460 said about plugs, don't bother with platinum plugs either, plain Autolite 24's or 25's depending on which motor you have.