best programmer for 05 f150? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

best programmer for 05 f150?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM
steager_94 steager_94 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
steager_94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
best programmer for 05 f150?

i have an 05 f150 lariat. ive been looking for a good programmer to get the most out of my truck as far as fuel economy but also im 20 and have a lead foot every once and a while so id like to have alot of power.
i live in fort irwin ca so i have to commute pretty far. theres alot of wide open roads out here (hence lead foot). i dont tow too much but when i do i obviously want my truck to perform well. doing some research i looked at edge, gryphon, and sct seem to be very popular. also i put 87 octane in my truck. what do yall think is the best for me?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 PM
CaptFX4 CaptFX4 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 212
CaptFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steager_94 View Post
i have an 05 f150 lariat. ive been looking for a good programmer to get the most out of my truck as far as fuel economy but also im 20 and have a lead foot every once and a while so id like to have alot of power.
i live in fort irwin ca so i have to commute pretty far. theres alot of wide open roads out here (hence lead foot). i dont tow too much but when i do i obviously want my truck to perform well. doing some research i looked at edge, gryphon, and sct seem to be very popular. also i put 87 octane in my truck. what do yall think is the best for me?
You'll get a few opinions but it comes down to your preference. The edge works great if your truck is stock. Definitely wakes it up. I went with the edge because I like to monitor different parameters such as tranny temp when towing. When I started adding intake/exhaust etc the canned tunes will make your truck run lean. So I had custom tunes loaded.

The gryphon is a form of the edge. Customizable

I have also seen others pleased with the SCT but can't comment since I haven't used one.

Basically any of them will work well but again I like the monitoring functionality of the edge. No fuel mileage gain for me because I enjoy the power. Definitely helps when towing.

Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 PM
steager_94 steager_94 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
steager_94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thank you very much. very helpful my friend
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2014, 07:18 AM
60DRB's Avatar
60DRB 60DRB is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East L.A.
Posts: 686
60DRB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.60DRB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
First, thank you for serving. What's your MOS?

Bad news next... A tuner of your choice is unlikely to improve your trucks gas mileage (regardless of any advertising claims). What it will do is improve throttle response and transmission shifting. Then you will more enjoy the "lead foot" syndrome, and further reduce mpg! Watch out for coyotes and desert tortoises...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2014, 11:45 AM
steager_94 steager_94 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
steager_94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you sir. My mos is 91m Bradley mechanic.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:15 PM
twfish twfish is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 331
twfish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I enjoy my php gryphon (edge evolution) with custom tunes. I leave it in #3 all the time and thats where I see my mileage gains. 13.5 pre tune with alot of stopping and goin 15.3 after tune. 17.6 pre tune on the highway driving extremely cautious and 20.2 after tune all hand calculated. Im also running intake and cat back straight pipe (mileage with and without tune had same mods) however it is very hard too keep your foot out of it lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 AM
tjcprop's Avatar
tjcprop tjcprop is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 776
tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfish View Post
I enjoy my php gryphon (edge evolution) with custom tunes. I leave it in #3 all the time and thats where I see my mileage gains. 13.5 pre tune with alot of stopping and goin 15.3 after tune. 17.6 pre tune on the highway driving extremely cautious and 20.2 after tune all hand calculated. Im also running intake and cat back straight pipe (mileage with and without tune had same mods) however it is very hard too keep your foot out of it lol
I have the Edge Evolution also that destroyed truck module. Had to change the mod and flash it. Where did you get the custom tunes?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
CaptFX4 CaptFX4 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 212
CaptFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcprop View Post
I have the Edge Evolution also that destroyed truck module. Had to change the mod and flash it. Where did you get the custom tunes?
PHP is Power Hungry Performance. Google them and their site should be able to help you out.

That's where my custom tunes came from as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 AM
tjcprop's Avatar
tjcprop tjcprop is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 776
tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFX4 View Post
PHP is Power Hungry Performance. Google them and their site should be able to help you out.

That's where my custom tunes came from as well.
Thank you for assistance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
nojoke327's Avatar
nojoke327 nojoke327 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: monroe ct
Posts: 1,246
nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.
Superchips has some nice features too. You cam choose to monitor 4 things on the screen too. I use it in my 350 and have had several friends use it in their 150s and all have been pleased.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 AM
tjcprop's Avatar
tjcprop tjcprop is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 776
tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.tjcprop has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojoke327 View Post
Superchips has some nice features too. You cam choose to monitor 4 things on the screen too. I use it in my 350 and have had several friends use it in their 150s and all have been pleased.
Is superchips a generic programmer or is each programmer programmed to specific truck? Your friends with 150s, are these trucks basically stock or like me have aftermarket larger gears, wheels, diff, etc. Generic programmers are not tuned to handle my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 AM
apdanos apdanos is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4
apdanos is starting off with a positive reputation.
+1 for the PHP Gryphon w/ custom performance tune.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 5.4 MOD Issues CAI, Efans, underdrive pulleys, chips AceHigh14 2004 - 2008 F150 2 02-16-2015 03:12 PM
Tuners & Programmers Dans2Fords 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 11 04-25-2013 04:08 PM
best programmer for 1999 v10 zakarehamrick Modular V10 (6.8l) 4 08-09-2012 04:59 PM
Programmer on 2010 F 150 efx4 Computer Chips & Tuners 1 11-16-2010 06:45 AM
2004 5.4L tuner apdanos Computer Chips & Tuners 8 05-31-2008 05:05 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.