Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Elder User

coreyallan01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Welded to the frame" nerf bars, anyone have some?

Morning, I'm thinking about ditching these body mounted running boards i have on my truck currently and going with a frame mounted set-up.. What i have is good for a dry warm climate but their just rust breeding magnets here in the Northeast and not to mention their not really my style.. Id like to go with a NFab type wheel to wheel or a solid step. Couple questions, does anyone have ether of these and if so has anyone fabbed up a frame mount for the Nfab type steps or made their own. Im trying to get an idea for where and how anybody attached the steps to the frame.. Id def make my own, id just like to see what people have done...
These aren't too bad, they list them for our trucks, a little pricey, they don't show any mounted to our body styles or mounting location...Deluxe Frame Mount Running Boards [Available Upon Order] - $875.00 : Heavy Duty Truckware | Bumpers and Accessories for Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, and Toyota Trucks
Like i said i like these wheel to wheel Nfab bars too but the mounting design is
terrible.
Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories
Suggestions, advise, experience?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Senior User

Redneckmorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Redneckmorton
I have a set similar to the first one you posted. I'll take some pics here in a little bit. I actually had to cut them down to fit the larger tires on my truck. So they aren't mounted how they were originally but they are close.

I have mine tucked up close to the body, and like the ideal of the drop steps.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckmorton View Post
I have a set similar to the first one you posted. I'll take some pics here in a little bit. I actually had to cut them down to fit the larger tires on my truck. So they aren't mounted how they were originally but they are close.

I have mine tucked up close to the body, and like the ideal of the drop steps.
Right on, so yours are mounted to the frame?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Postmaster

glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd bolt to frame before I'd weld them.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Elder User

Ether-Or... Just not body mount...
Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Elder User

MOOSE_MACHINE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I second the bolt
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 4.6 e4od
Nick
Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Elder User

So I'll rephrase, does anyone have bolt to the frame OR welded on steps/nerf bars they want to share?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Postmaster

glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyallan01 View Post
So I'll rephrase, does anyone have bolt to the frame OR welded on steps/nerf bars they want to share?
Ive got bolted to the body that have frame "braces" basically a piece of square tubing with a flat plate that meets the frame for extra strength. Essentially the body mounts hold it up and the braces take the weight when I step on them.

I originally had just frame mounted, bolt on and I had way too much deflection. I used factory holes in the frame.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
I'm subscribing as that is exactly what I intend to do on my truck. I want to ditch these aluminum steps on the front doors and either buy or build a set of steps like the N-Fab steps and attach them directly to the frame. I've never been a fan of how they just bolt to the rocker panels. One thing I have heard about the N-Fab steps is that they tend to contact the bed when the frame flexes, so if you attach them to the frame, I would think you would want to leave a little additional room. I guess that begs another question... If the frame flexes enough to allow the rocker-mounted bars to contact the frame, does the frame flex enough to gnarfle the bars if they're bolted to the frame?

Here are some N-Fab step truck **** pics just for good measure:
Click the image to open in full size.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Senior User

Redneckmorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Redneckmorton
Hey sorry I never got around to taking any pics this weekend. I'll be honest I forgot about it. I'll take some this evening when I get home. But yes they are welded to the frame.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Elder User

Still love to see those if you've got a chance..
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
I'm subscribing as that is exactly what I intend to do on my truck. I want to ditch these aluminum steps on the front doors and either buy or build a set of steps like the N-Fab steps and attach them directly to the frame. I've never been a fan of how they just bolt to the rocker panels. One thing I have heard about the N-Fab steps is that they tend to contact the bed when the frame flexes, so if you attach them to the frame, I would think you would want to leave a little additional room. I guess that begs another question... If the frame flexes enough to allow the rocker-mounted bars to contact the frame, does the frame flex enough to gnarfle the bars if they're bolted to the frame?

Here are some N-Fab step truck **** pics just for good measure:

I saw a fella this week on my way to work who had a cclb lifted in pretty nice shape; rare here in Maine so I stopped to talk to him. He had the full length N-Fabs and they had been contacting the bed bad enough to push the quarter @ the leading edge of the bed up a little at the bottom. I figure do a two piece like I have now so they move independent of each other. Know what I'm sayin?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
I made my steps mounted to the frame. The plan was originally to make them power extending steps, but when i looked at the cost i decided it wasnt worth it and just made them solid steps. The angle i made them was supposed to make them hidden when the doors closed but come out and down when they open. I welded them in about the middle of what the travel would have been. I used two pieces of 1/4 in plate and sandwiched the frame and bolted above and below the frame. Way more solid than the tube steps that were on it before.

1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyallan01 View Post
I saw a fella this week on my way to work who had a cclb lifted in pretty nice shape; rare here in Maine so I stopped to talk to him. He had the full length N-Fabs and they had been contacting the bed bad enough to push the quarter @ the leading edge of the bed up a little at the bottom. I figure do a two piece like I have now so they move independent of each other. Know what I'm sayin?
Brian on here has a set of N-Fab bars on his CCLB that don't extend past the back of the cab. They look reeeaal nice! Here's a pic from RRE this past weekend.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
Brian on here has a set of N-Fab bars on his CCLB that don't extend past the back of the cab. They look reeeaal nice! Here's a pic from RRE this past weekend.
I like the N-Fab stuff; wouldn't be too hard to mod those to mount to the frame..
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel