Tire Sizes? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Sizes? Recommendations?

Hey gang;

I'm going to be putting new rims and tires on my '05 Excursion Eddie Bauer Diesel. Currently I have stock 16x7 rims and 265/75r16 tires on it.

I want the best possible towing experience possible, and I've been told over and over again that the 16x7 tires are too narrow to provide a good towing experience.

I'm considering upgrading to 18x9 rims with 275/65r18 tires on them, which was a factory option on the Eddie Bauer in '05.

I'm also wondering if I should go as far as 20x9 rims with 275/55r20 tires.

Will the larger rims provide any additional rigidity and control when towing? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stock tire size; are they going to blow up? Slide off the road? Cause a fire? Many people are running them and the E rated ones are the way to go for towing. What is this; "good towing experience"?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by JohnInCanada
Hey gang;

I'm going to be putting new rims and tires on my '05 Excursion Eddie Bauer Diesel. Currently I have stock 16x7 rims and 265/75r16 tires on it.

I want the best possible towing experience possible, and I've been told over and over again that the 16x7 tires are too narrow to provide a good towing experience.
People are telling you silly things over and over.

I'm considering upgrading to 18x9 rims with 275/65r18 tires on them, which was a factory option on the Eddie Bauer in '05.
Sorry but no they were not, Ford did actually have plans to offer the 18x8 rims in '05 but it never happened. The rims are even shown in a sales brochure but for whatever reason the 18"s were never actually available on the '05 EXs. These are the same rims that were an available option on '04 King Ranch, Harley Davidson and Lariat SuperDuties, I have a set of the Lariat version on my EX now, they are the only plus sized rims (over 16") from Ford that will properly fit our leaf sprung EXs.

I'm also wondering if I should go as far as 20x9 rims with 275/55r20 tires.

Will the larger rims provide any additional rigidity and control when towing?
No, not really. A properly sized tire in the correct load range for the job will provide excellent ride and control under load. Bigger rims with shorter sidewalls can deliver a more firm ride but have a greater chance of rim damage due to the shorter sidewall. Bigger rims and tires can handle heavy towing chores too if they are both properly specced for the load.
Is it worth it?
Not to me. The bigger rims and rubber cost more and don't offer more based solely on their size, a smaller rim/tire combo properly specced will perform well and cost less.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.
I'm happy to provide advice and opinion based on my towing experiences. That being said I do run 18"s with 35" rubber on my EX that serves as our tow rig, I went with the bigger rims/tires because I wanted a mildly lifted rig with 35"s. Everything I did to my EX along the way was with the aim to improve it's towing abilities as a lifted SUV with taller tires. The lift and tires could be seen as a handicap that I delt myself that I had to work around/through to get the rig as good as I could for the towing work.

What are you planning on towing? Trailer weight? Trailer length? Planning on long distance towing? At what kind of speeds? Over what sort of terrain? What type of hitch will you be using? Have you done any other mods to your EX? Stock suspension? How important is it to you to keep within the factory EX's GVWR, CGVWR, axle weight ratings and hitch weight ratings?
I know, lots of questions to answer. But the more answers you can provide the better our advice can be. Towing heavy with a 137" wheelbase SUV that is sitting fairly close to it's GVWR with a family of four on board can be a challenge. I've been there, done that, have the T shirt (and have done a bunch of work to get there!).
The factory alloy rims on the EX as well as a good set of load range E tires will meet or excede the rear axle's designed load rating of 7k, so stock size will get it done safely. More to consider is that most aftermarket rims are not hub-centric like the factory design is and several of the larger aftermarket rims are not as strong as the stockers.
I have logged about 20k miles towing heavy with our EX between two trailers, a 31' 9.5 to 11k lb toyhauler and a 41' 11k lb travel trailer. Our current configuration is 61' overall length and pulls super comfortably at 65MPH and has zero sway or bad manners on the highway. But it took some work to get to this point.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two tires you are considering are only 0.4" wider not worth the costs involved. If you want a wider tire go with the 285-75-16 you will get a wider taller tire without having to buy rims.

I'd also like to point out that the stock tires for the F250 were 1.2" narrower than the Stock Excursion tires

And listen to Tom he knows his towing.

Last edited by jspence105; 06-19-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Tom
Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
^^^ X2 ^^^^

285/75/16 "E"

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
Thanks for the info guys.

Cary at CT Performance was adamant that a wider rim was crucial for better stability. Other forums refer to him as "the expert" on Ex suspension and towing.

It would be great if all I had to do was swap out my worn AT tires for something new!

Having said that, I also own an '09 Expedition EL. It tows far nicer, just lacks muscle for hills. The only thing it has that's bigger/better than the Excursion is tires. (275/55r20). It tracks and tows so much smoother with the same hitch and trailer.

To answer your questions:

My trailer is 7.5k, only a year old.
I use the Andersen WD hitch. LOVE IT btw.
I will be on the road with me, wife, 4 kidlets for about a year. (Full USA and Canada tour)
My Ex has new shocks (last month), a full bulletproof (last month) and Firestone airbags (I am guessing 2 years old).
I plan on adding V/B springs and a SD rear sway bar as well. I was also thinking of a steering dampener to make it track better.

As for staying within limits; I am confident I will be within GCWR and GVWR with my rig. I don't want to push it for this long of a trip.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Cary at CT Performance was adamant that a wider run was crucial for better stability. Other forums refer to him as "the expert" on Ex suspension and towing.
Let me preface by saying, no disrespect towards Cary and what he's accomplished in this space. There was a time he was "the expert", but I think there are more experts on this board alone today because it's a vast collection of people that have real-world experience spanning years of ownership.

I went with the 285/75/16E Michelins on my own truck. And when I tow, I wind them up to their 80 lbs and turn my Rancho's all the way up. I also have RAS which helps, but even before that install the truck was pretty solid when towing. My only issues today are that I need to replace my front springs.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
Your "ranchos"? I'm sorry, I don't know what that means...

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Your "ranchos"? I'm sorry, I don't know what that means...
No worries... Just an adjustable shock many users on here run. You can find the specs here: Rancho Suspension: Shocks » RS9000™XL

Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Let me preface by saying, no disrespect towards Cary and what he's accomplished in this space. There was a time he was "the expert", but I think there are more experts on this board alone today because it's a vast collection of people that have real-world experience spanning years of ownership.
I am the new king of towing, they call me Mr. Towmaster.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
[B]
I am the new king of towing, they call me Mr. Towmaster.
Well...I have heard you called a couple things on here, so I'll put that at the top of the list!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
^^^ X2 ^^^^

285/75/16 "E"
What this guy said

Old 06-19-2014, 04:10 PM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
OK. So if tires aren't the answer... what would you guys recommend for strengthening the handling and ride? I have absolutely no rear-end drop, so I'm not really looking for stronger springs unless they will help the ride and comfort.

Oh, and MR. TOWMASTER, I would love to get your input here too!

Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Well...I have heard you called a couple things on here, so I'll put that at the top of the list!
Yep, Cary has been de-throwned, it's all me now.........Tow King.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a rear sway bar do that first it makes a big difference.

Quick Reply: Tire Sizes? Recommendations?