2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Transit from E-Series: A Look into the New Ford Transit Vans

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

I'm a letter carrier for the USPS and I agree, some vehicles shouldn't be used as a constant stop and go delivery vehicle. UPS like any other courier service
is start and stop and jamming through the gears all day.

I'm seeing a bunch of Sprinters in the FedEx fleet and I wonder how they're doing. *** communications is migrating to the Mercedes and Sprinters and they basically idle all day and they seem to be holding up well.
How can you tell they are holding up well?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
How can you tell they are holding up well?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
There's no way to tell for sure without seeing maintenance records. In contrast, we know that the 6.0L diesel in the superduty trucks didn't hold up well at all and most larger fleets like *** have gotten rid of them.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
There's no way to tell for sure without seeing maintenance records. In contrast, we know that the 6.0L diesel in the superduty trucks didn't hold up well at all and most larger fleets like *** have gotten rid of them.
I see a large number of fleets with 6.0 trucks that aren't going away. Xcel energy has a ton of pickups with the 6.0 and they seem to be hanging on to them.

The point is, it is foolhardy to make claims as to the reliability or durability of a vehicle based on what one perceives a vehicle to be doing. You don't have any data to back up those claims.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyFan
"If you don't like the demise of the Econoline, then vent toward Obama, not Ford. CAFE ratings are the biggest reason for the change."

CAFE generally applies to vehicles under 8,500 GVWR. The Transit Full Size commercial vans discussed in this thread are 8,600 GVWR and over.

This is a Ford Truck forum. There's probably another forum online somewhere for promoting a political persuasion, but around here, discussions centered around Fords and facts are preferred.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
CAFE generally applies to vehicles under 8,500 GVWR. The Transit Full Size commercial vans discussed in this thread are 8,600 GVWR and over.

This is a Ford Truck forum. There's probably another forum online somewhere for promoting a political persuasion, but around here, discussions centered around Fords and facts are preferred.
Fuel economy standards WILL apply to these vehicles, it is coming, and the writing is on the wall.

As for facts on this forum, take your lecture on facts around here, and go on a trip down threads that bring up Chevrolet products and come back and tell me that with a straight face.

The fact is, whether I supported him or not, which you don't know, based upon my comment, he led the charge on raising those standards. Government has put enormous pressure on the industry to improve efficiency in ALL vehicles. Heck, so has the marketplace, for that matter. I never said I was opposed to it, did I? In fact, I've been enjoying the 4+ mpg improvement of the Transit over our Express.

The Econoline was a good solid van, but was basically a 50 year old design tweaked and improved. They weren't going to get much out of it in weight, and thus, efficiency. Aerodynamically, it was a brick.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I see a large number of fleets with 6.0 trucks that aren't going away. Xcel energy has a ton of pickups with the 6.0 and they seem to be hanging on to them.

The point is, it is foolhardy to make claims as to the reliability or durability of a vehicle based on what one perceives a vehicle to be doing. You don't have any data to back up those claims.
And where's yours? *** has canned all the 6.0's here and gone with 2013 / 2014 F-550's with the 6.8L. A fella on my route is a *** lineman and we talk.