Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone with HVAC issues speak up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone with HVAC issues speak up!

Hey guys. I need anyone who has ever had or currently has an issue with their HVAC in an 09-14 F150 to please reply with issue, model year of their truck, and if you have a standard, dual zone, or dual zone with Nav. Climate control system.

This includes loss of heat or cool, weak AC, intermittently switching to defroster, vent, or floor from another setting.

At this point in time I cannot say why, however in due time I will keep you updated.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM
john188971
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 09 screw lariat hvac intermittently decides it doesn't want to do anything. No fan at all. Controls respond but no fan. I shut truck off, take key out and restart. All good! Idk if that helps or not. Just my experience

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by john188971
My 09 screw lariat hvac intermittently decides it doesn't want to do anything. No fan at all. Controls respond but no fan. I shut truck off, take key out and restart. All good! Idk if that helps or not. Just my experience
Perfect. Just need more. I can't tell u how many threads I've seen on here about this issue.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you already know what issues exist. Get to the point.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Weak A/C..

Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts are that the system is capable of cooling the cabin, but that there may be too much tolerance in the electronic controls which regulate the cycling of the compressor. My 2010 XLT has always had just marginal cooling even after three trips to the dealer and two PCM reflashes. What I notice is that the air coming out of the dash vents no sooner starts to cool down than the compressor cycles "off" and the air gets warmer, yet I read that other truck owners say theirs can "freeze you out if you don't turn the fan down." What else could explain such varied performance levels of what is essentially the same system if not a difference in electronics. My prior truck, a 2003 Super Duty, would produce cold enough air to make your hand numb if the dash vent were directed toward it. This truck not so.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 AM
fish98f250
Freshman User
2012 XLT 38k miles - whatever standard system comes with that. Mine has been fine except for just recently when the lowest fan setting stopped working. I have a new resistor coming in this week that should fix it.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Very Little Cooling

Mine does the same thing,just when you think you are going to get some nice cool air the compressor kicks off,I know this 134A freon is crap the Molecules are much finer and when it is compressed doesnt offer allot of cooling,putting it on Max doesn't do much better my charge is all good didn't take it to the stealership, took it to a professional shop.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Thanks for the PM. The HVAC in my truck is the worst performing system I have ever experienced. I'll have to rid myself of this truck if it doesn't sort out. I saved for years to buy my truck, custom ordered, paid in cash. It was a reward from my wife for the sacrifices I made to care for her medical issues throughout the last 10 years. HVAC is literally my only complaint about an otherwise fantastic vehicle, but it is intolerable situation as you will see below.

1. Snow blows in through all vents while driving. The real problem is the windows ice up suddenly and visibility goes to 10% or less. Dealer put borescope in the HVAC while it happened and the system was bone dry. Just pulling in snow from outside and shuttling it into the cab. This is the reason I will have to sell. Intolerable to lose visibility. (I see similar complaints on the forum about abnormal amount of dust collecting inside the cab. Hints of same root cause.)

2. AC takes 20 - 30 minutes to make me comfortable at about 90F ambient and above. Once cold it stays cold. AC performance is a basic expectation not met.

3. Defrost is extremely poor. Another basic expectation not met. The floor heat works well, but defrost is ineffective. Sometimes I'll drive 30 minutes and never clear the front window, wipers still bouncing over thin ice. I'm the only person at work that has to scrape the window after arriving at the parking lot.... except for the other new F150 that parks close to me. We both have to park facing the sun to melt the ice or we'll be screwed when we leave work.

4. Does rear window defrost count? Thought it was broken from new. After two years I finally took it to dealer and they said it works..... just really sucks. The heat from cab melts the ice, not the defrost cords.

2012 F150 crew cab, Ecoboost, Max Tow
XLT with manual controls
Electric sliding rear window

Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 F150 FX4 Dual zone with Navigation

It used to switch the temperature setting randomly as I drove down the road. Had the control module replaced under warranty and now it doesn't do that anymore. It doesn't always remember the last setting after the truck is shut off, meaning it will sometimes start back up at random temperature settings. All this happens when it is in Auto, I don't hardly ever use it in manual control.

Otherwise it does a good job of heating and cooling the cabin and seats.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Let's go ahead and link you up with the recent, "What pooped in my truck?" thread....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ent-smell.html

Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
UPDATE

Alright, so the whole goal of this thread is to prove there was a widespread issue with our HVAC's. A little connecting and I got in touch with somebody who had the power to diagnose and solve and guess what...

Nothing.

All said person could do was scratch their head and say "yeah this is a problem" but nobody can figure out how to diagnose it, or fix it. Now, I'm stuck with a truck with a bum HVAC unit that only provides arctic freeze or surface of the sun temps at random.

Good news is, if you have weak AC, it most likely is a blend door issue. Our AC is wicked strong, the problem is getting the blend doors to shut out the heat... So your wicked cold AC is getting mixed with hot air from heater core. Even better: the dealer does not have the software to tell/ see this kind of phenomenon, and unless your blend door jams and throws a code....

Yay.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
2011 f-250 no climate control

I posted about a month ago my manual climate control head went out. no heat, air, blower nothing, ford said they no of no problems with the control head or body module, of course its out of warranty. I know the unit works because everytime you start the truck, the system comes on, lights and all and you can hit the buttons that control blower speed and a/c ect. and it responds then just at the same moment the radio goes from station to clock, it shuts off. nothing no lights, blower air from any were. I checked all the relays and fuses, pulled the control head to check connections all are good. I think I have a bad body control module any ideas?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Danthebrat
New User
2014 EcoBoost with 5900mi standard HVAC. A/C won't get cold even when it is only 80 degrees out. Junk HVAC. Love the truck otherwise. Haven't had time to take it to the stealership.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Danthebrat
2014 EcoBoost with 5900mi standard HVAC. A/C won't get cold even when it is only 80 degrees out. Junk HVAC. Love the truck otherwise. Haven't had time to take it to the stealership.
David7.3- I cannot intelligently speak on the new Super Duty's, however in the F150's the climate control module is separate from the Body Control Module. Keep this in mind. Also, while searching for a new HVAC control module for my truck, turns out it is also linked to other systems such as power rear window, sun roof, etc. So if you can dig up a replacement module make sure its an identical truck... Right down to the small options

As for the weak AC... My AC was terrible until I began having these problems. Once the engineer for climate control hooked his software to my truck and closed the blend door completely is when it 'came to life'.

Unfortunately, you can try the dealer but they won't be of much help unless ur system is throwing codes. One thing you can try is set it to recirculate max AC on auto at 60 degrees. I honestly don't know how this helps, but its the first thing the dealer, engineers, and any other schmuck that looks at my system does right off the bat. It must help or have some unspoken value otherwise I doubt everyone would do it.

Quick Reply: Anyone with HVAC issues speak up!