Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone with HVAC issues speak up!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Danthebrat
2014 EcoBoost with 5900mi standard HVAC. A/C won't get cold even when it is only 80 degrees out. Junk HVAC. Love the truck otherwise. Haven't had time to take it to the stealership.
Let me know when you plan on heading in to the dealership, Danthebrat; I'll get this pushed up to your regional customer service manager. When you make the appointment, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there.

Crystal

Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '13 FX4 with dual climate control, My Ford Touch with nav, remote start (plus Ford cell phone remote access), seems to work except for when I remote start the vehicle.

If I remote start the truck, the heat or A/C (depending on the time of year) and seat heat or A/C turn on like they're supposed to. However, when I get in the vehicle and turn the key, the whole system turns down to idle mode like it thinks the interior is the correct temperature (I always leave it on auto) even if it's still 100+ inside. The A/C seams to turn off since changing the fan speed just makes the fan run faster but the air doesn't blow any colder/hotter than ambient temperature. If I turn the truck off and restart it, everything works like it should, so I've gotten in the habit of hopping in the truck and turning it off just to turn it back on when I use the remote start feature.

I do plan to take it to a dealership to have it looked at, but I'm currently over 2 hours away from the nearest dealership and can't afford to take a whole day of work off just for an A/C quirk.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Cruiser64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the weak AC... My AC was terrible until I began having these problems. Once the engineer for climate control hooked his software to my truck and closed the blend door completely is when it 'came to life'.

Unfortunately, you can try the dealer but they won't be of much help unless ur system is throwing codes. One thing you can try is set it to recirculate max AC on auto at 60 degrees. I honestly don't know how this helps, but its the first thing the dealer, engineers, and any other schmuck that looks at my system does right off the bat. It must help or have some unspoken value otherwise I doubt everyone would do it.[/QUOTE]

So 5.4 how do we get our blend door to shut, I've got a 2010 FX4 Crew with Nav and the A/C is terrible! Had it back to the dealer after we bought it and was told they charged the system but it's not any better at all. Is my only choice to do what you said in red above? I've read before that the 250's and above has a valve to shut off antifreeze running through the heater core and some have put that system on their 150's and has helped some. Looking for help cause with Black leather it get a little hot.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:19 PM
JoeLariat09
New User
here's mine:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-response.html

2009 F150 Lariat CrewCab

Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Danthebrat
2014 EcoBoost with 5900mi standard HVAC. A/C won't get cold even when it is only 80 degrees out. Junk HVAC. Love the truck otherwise. Haven't had time to take it to the stealership.
Me too! '14 150 700 miles EcoBoost standard HVAC doesn't get cold most of the time; once in awhile and when it does, it stays cold. I thought it was me at first, but wow... why doesn't Ford recall this? (no its not a safety issue (or is it when the driver is overheating? :P)).

Is it fixable? Is there a TSB or known issue with it? I have a '14 Chevy Camaro; gets WAY colder than this; I'll freeze to death in that squashed cabin :P

Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
2011 dual zone navigation system, had the blower motor resistor go out yesterday, otherwise no issues. A/C works pretty well although i don't get the extreme high temps other members do.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 PM
brithefireguy
New User
2014 with 5200 miles. Ecoboost and regular hvac. Was working fine yesterday morning. Got back in truck after grocery store and fan won't turn on. No ac. No heat. Nothing. System lights up. Of course everyone at service dept gone until Tuesday.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by mynetdude
Me too! '14 150 700 miles EcoBoost standard HVAC doesn't get cold most of the time; once in awhile and when it does, it stays cold. I thought it was me at first, but wow... why doesn't Ford recall this? (no its not a safety issue (or is it when the driver is overheating? :P)).

Is it fixable? Is there a TSB or known issue with it? I have a '14 Chevy Camaro; gets WAY colder than this; I'll freeze to death in that squashed cabin :P
Have had a chance to compare/drive both of them in comparable weather, interestingly enough they both have the same air temperature but of course the Camaro's inside space is significantly smaller.

Neither systems get cold like the older systems amazingly in order to really feel cooled you have to direct the air at you which does no good at cooling the cabin really which is dumb and I find this the case for both my vehicles... now I'm really really disappointed with newer vehicles as older vehicles had much better HVAC/AC systems but those don't last forever.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
If it will help I can look up what they did to fix a similar problem in my 2008. It took the dealer several months of trial & error to finally fix the issue. The HVAC only worked on maximum cold to get AC & Maximum heat to get heat. Anything in the middle was just some random temp. The problem was you had to drive long enough that the HVAC needed to cycle temperatures in order to experience the problem. The dealer just wanted to drive around the block. I think they replaced the blendoor actuator and a control head. It was a big job they had to remove the whole dash to change the parts.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
If it will help I can look up what they did to fix a similar problem in my 2008. It took the dealer several months of trial & error to finally fix the issue. The HVAC only worked on maximum cold to get AC & Maximum heat to get heat. Anything in the middle was just some random temp. The problem was you had to drive long enough that the HVAC needed to cycle temperatures in order to experience the problem. The dealer just wanted to drive around the block. I think they replaced the blendoor actuator and a control head. It was a big job they had to remove the whole dash to change the parts.
I noticed that on really hot days I have to use max air... yes when I first start up the vehicle on a hot day; sure once I get going and have enough airflow I shouldn't have to continually use max but unfortunately that's not the case but at least if I direct air towards me instead of generally in the cabin I can turn it down some but in my older vehicles I could use max half of the time and it would still keep me comfortable.

I even went to the dealer; they said it was cold, define COLD? It was just "cool" not cold, cold is refrigerated; this doesn't feel refrigerated, it feels cooled there's a huge difference.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Let me know when you plan on heading in to the dealership, Danthebrat; I'll get this pushed up to your regional customer service manager. When you make the appointment, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there.

Crystal
Be advised she told me the same thing, but also told me they/she have no power to tell a dealership to do anything. I encourage you to read the links I posted above. After here referral I was contacted by another Ford escalated rep and told they would look into it. She never saw my truck and reached a decision to support the dealer. What will ultimately happen is, they will tell you to keep going to dealers until one finds an issue.

Good Luck!

The compressor is smaller, some folks reported Ford deliberately undercharging units on the line at build time.

I offered Ford dealer and Crystal and escalated Ford Rep to take my truck and drive it for a week, no one would. I was told by Joe Myers Ford in Houston that they would reclaim the system and check for contaminates then recharge to the correct amount, the backed out and said that as long as my ac showed a 40 degree drop from outside temp, it was functioning correctly. I cant drive it in the afternoons! My wife and sons Edge and Explorer will freeze you out and get to 39 degrees and lower.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by mynetdude

Ford implemented 44451 to address complaints. My 2013 has this PCM update and it sounds like a tornado most of the time, its annoying and does nothing to assist in my case.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Alright, so the whole goal of this thread is to prove there was a widespread issue with our HVAC's. A little connecting and I got in touch with somebody who had the power to diagnose and solve and guess what...

Nothing.

All said person could do was scratch their head and say "yeah this is a problem" but nobody can figure out how to diagnose it, or fix it. Now, I'm stuck with a truck with a bum HVAC unit that only provides arctic freeze or surface of the sun temps at random.

Good news is, if you have weak AC, it most likely is a blend door issue. Our AC is wicked strong, the problem is getting the blend doors to shut out the heat... So your wicked cold AC is getting mixed with hot air from heater core. Even better: the dealer does not have the software to tell/ see this kind of phenomenon, and unless your blend door jams and throws a code....

Yay.
Its more than a blend door issue. If a blend door issue it would happen all of the time. Ford also aside from downsizing the system to 24 ounces of Freon, they also changed the cycling times of the compressor for fuel economy. Some have reported shorted R134A levels on new vehicles.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM
ddbck
Senior User
The new AC coolant is weak. I did do AC mod, helped a little. Otherwise works great. The heater on any setting...vent-defronst-floor.....Will sweat you out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with HVAC issues speak up!