1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

O/D light flashing, no TC lockup, possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
O/D light flashing, no TC lockup, possibilities?

Hey guys, I've been scanning through some of the recent threads and it looks like most of the gang is still hanging around. I've been too busy to stay involved lately, Atleast as much as I used too, but Tex and I are still around and doing fine (well, mostly).

My work truck is a 1 ton dodge dually with a 6.7 cummins and a DeF system, which means it was in the shop, so Tex and I were pulling a trailer round trip from east Texas to Pittsburgh and back, about 19 hours each way straight through. The first 3/4 of the trip went smoothly, tex performing like a champ with a current 256000 miles on the clock. Trans temp never got above 160. About 2AM Monday morning (guess that's today actually...) just east of Little Rock, cruise set at 70 on flat ground following a line of big rigs, the TC unlocks. I immediately knew that's what it was.

I tapped the breaks to turn off the cruise control, tried to get it to lock back in but no dice. I turned the O\D off and noticed the light flashing, so I know there's a code, but I still haven't broken down for AE:/. I pulled off at the next exit and shut it down, cranked it back up, checked fluid which looked fine (good level, color, and smell), and got back on the road. Right after it shifted into third, when it generally locks, the O\D light started flashing again. Other than the lack of lockup, there appeared to be no issues.

I had pretty much resolved a while back that the trans was on its way out, only a matter if time. Whether it gives out now or 2 years from now, I won't complain with the miles and work that it's done. So, I slow down and decide to keep going, keeping an eye in the temp gauge once every 3-5 seconds. I didn't really have a choice as I had to leave out for Utah (in the dodge which is out of the shop) by noon today, with the same trailer that I was pulling.

I made it home just fine, about 250 miles. Not once did the trans temp get above 160. Anyway, to my question: I won't be able to set eyes on Tex again until sometime next week, let alone put a scanner on him. I'll probably order AE from Clay and have it sitting at the house waiting for me when I get back. In the meantime, any ideas?

I'm really just interested in a list if possibilities. Worst case would be a blown converter which throws trash into the trans and trashes the whole thing, but 250 miles of interstate lean me away from that diagnosis from now.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Bad converter
Broken wire to the solenoid
Bad solenoid
Failed seal on the input shaft
Stuck valve in the valve body

That's all I can think of off hand.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
TKegs763
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did that not too long ago... Ended up being a bad TC.. Jeff, I have AE and you know you are more than welcome to it!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Sorry for the late response, it's been a long week. Made it home about 3 yesterday afternoon. I didn't order AE for it to be here waiting on me, so I'm still flying blind. My guy is leaning towards a bad solenoid, but I'm not sure if I will replace it first or wait for AE (or make a trip to Arlington this weekend for TKeg's offer...) I'll update when I know something new.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
BigHazard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribe

Same issue. when you mention the solenoids do you mean that pack of them in the pan I take it?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't lean toward a TC yet. When mine went out I had no codes set off. In other words from Mark were blind until you get those codes checked.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
For the record a scangauge 2 won't read transmission codes. I ordered AE with overnight delivery, so if the time difference from Texas to Oregon is enough, it may be here tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
AE came in today. Here's what I've got:

Generic Powertrain

No diagnostic codes retrieved

Anti-Lock Brake

GEM/Central Timer

P1876 Transfer Case 2-Wheel Drive Solenoid Circuit Failure

P1832 Transfer Case Differential Lock-Up Solenoid Circuit Failure

Airbag

Hybrid Electronic Cluster

U1059 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Transmission / Transaxle / PRNDL

U1058 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Transmission / Transaxle / PRNDL

C1284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure

U1262 SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault

B1352 Ignition Key in Circuit Fault

Park Aid

Overhead Trip Computer 2

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A

B1203 Fuel sender Circuit Failure

Enhanced Powertrain

P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

P0541 Intake Air Heater A Circuit Low

I cleared the codes and made a run, recording a bit of data. I'll post that up shortly. I highlighted the concerning portions in red. Any thoughts on what this points to?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Here are the codes that popped back up after a 5 minute run.

Generic Powertrain

Anti-Lock Brake

GEM/Central Timer

P1876 Transfer Case 2-Wheel Drive Solenoid Circuit Failure

P1832 Transfer Case Differential Lock-Up Solenoid Circuit Failure

Airbag

Hybrid Electronic Cluster

B1352 Ignition Key in Circuit Fault

Park Aid

Overhead Trip Computer 2

Enhanced Powertrain

P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

P0541 Intake Air Heater A Circuit Low

I'm pretty sure the two to be concerned about are the P0741 and P0743.

During the run, I noticed two things:
First: the Torque Converter Clutch - Modulated kept spiking and then going back to zero. It continued this the whole trip. Here is the graph:

The second thing I noticed is the "Vehicle Speed" gauge in AE was selected, but only went from 0 to .3. I checked and it is in MPH. The speedometer on the dash went from 0 to around 60 like normal. It may not be related but worth mentioning.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Right now I am leaning very hard towards the solenoid pack. Ford is showing around $450 online, while the Irish have one for $320 (I'm assuming this is the solenoid that you mentioned Mark, or is there another?): PowerTorque® TE140 - Solenoid | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Any input would be great. I hate throwing money at something unless I am sure. I haven't seen any way to test this solenoid, but I'd be willing to drop the pan and troubleshoot it if anyone has specs on how to do this.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Can you make a scan with the Torque Converter Clutch - Modulated, torque converter slip (it is called SLIP_ACT in the software. I have no idea what AE calls it, or if it is even available on AE,) and throttle position.

From what you've shared I don't see how you have concluded it is the solenoid. I can't make that conclusion yet. It is more likely to be a wiring problem between the PCM and the solenoid.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Can you make a scan with the Torque Converter Clutch - Modulated, torque converter slip (it is called SLIP_ACT in the software. I have no idea what AE calls it, or if it is even available on AE,) and throttle position.

From what you've shared I don't see how you have concluded it is the solenoid. I can't make that conclusion yet. It is more likely to be a wiring problem between the PCM and the solenoid.

I cannot, and here is why: I pulled the solenoid pack about an hour ago. I would simply reinstall but i'll have to wait for FORD to open at 9 to get another paper gasket (if they have it in stock). My plan was to pull it so it would be easier to test.

I'm going through the diagram now to check the pinout on the connector.

I will say that there is a considerable amount of rust on the paper gasket from the surface above it. This was likely caused from coolant that entered through a bad radiator about a year ago. Or from some other issue in the past 12 years...

Old 06-28-2014, 08:58 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Correction, when I made the run yesterday, I also recorded "torque converter slip actual" as well as engine rpms and output shaft speed. I did not record throttle position however, but here is what I have. again, vehicle speed only reported as 0-.3.

Edit: The modulated state would not go on the same graph without making it much larger. I reposted the graph here to make them closer.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

That doesn't show the signal to the solenoid. That's what you had in the first graph. I will have to assume that it was calling for lockup and that it didn't happen. It is still a stretch to assume that the solenoid is the problem, but you may be right.

Check the resistance of the solenoid. I don't have the spec, but if I remember it correctly it should be 10-20 ohms. You can also put 12 volts across the solenoid and feel and listen for it to move internally. If you put 12 volts across it and nothing happens, then it's bad. If it has an open electrical circuit it's bad. Same for having no resistance. If it clicks with 12 volts across it you need to investigate the wiring.

Last edited by Mark Kovalsky; 06-29-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Corrected resistance value. Thanks, mueckster!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here a scanned page, from my ATSG manual, of the connectors and the pins you need to check resistance across. PWM TCC solenoids should 10-20 ohms. EPC is 3-5 ohms.
Solenoid Pack Pins.pdf

Quick Reply: O/D light flashing, no TC lockup, possibilities?