Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM
ZPI28's Avatar
ZPI28 ZPI28 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Luxora, AR
Posts: 65
ZPI28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 4:10s so Im 2K rpm at around 67 mph.
__________________
2008 F350 DRW, 6" RC lift, 35" Fuel Offroads
SCT Livewire 9625 Extreme
GO ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:54 AM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,541
bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
I'm curious. Is it just me, or are those of you getting great fuel mileage running 3:55 gears instead of 3:73s? Shouldn't that equate to around 1700-1800 rpm the so called holy grail of ideal rpm range?
I have 373"s, but usually I run around 67MPH on the freeway, just not in a hurry anymore.
Speed defiantly makes a difference on mine, going from 65 to 75 makes a noticeable difference in GPM.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 AM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
I have 373"s, but usually I run around 67MPH on the freeway, just not in a hurry anymore.
Speed defiantly makes a difference on mine, going from 65 to 75 makes a noticeable difference in GPM.
I agree.
My problem is that my wife and I travel about 750 mi each weekend from east TX to south TX - our commute - with a 73 mile stretch (each way) legally at 80-85 mph, talk about suck down the dead dinos. Normal trip takes 6.5 - 7.5 hours, depending on pee and Cabela's stops. It's tough to slow down when your just ready to get there.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,541
bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
I agree.
My problem is that my wife and I travel about 750 mi each weekend from east TX to south TX - our commute - with a 73 mile stretch (each way) legally at 80-85 mph, talk about suck down the dead dinos. Normal trip takes 6.5 - 7.5 hours, depending on pee and Cabela's stops. It's tough to slow down when your just ready to get there.
Sounds like you need a little car for the commute,, but they just suck.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
Sounds like you need a little car for the commute,, but they just suck.
You must be clairvoyant, I bought a Subaru Outback
Ok, more specifically, a dog hauler. Three dogs that make every move that we do. The Subi hauls all of our crap and the dogs and gets about 26 mpg. I prefer my F350 SRW. But dang it has gotten very expensive to operate. BTW the dogs are kid replacements....we probably need psychological assistance.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 PM
bubbasz1's Avatar
bubbasz1 bubbasz1 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 1,541
bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I think the Subaru might be a little small for Mine> the wife, her sister, and my daughter show ours, except the lab, she's our rescue dog. Anyways she uses our 99 E250 as the dog hauler. Here is a picture of the group, sorry it's a little old but the only one I could find with all of them together. LOL, they weren't very happy at this photo shoot.
__________________
My name is Jeff BUT "My Buddies call me Bubba"

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe if you taught them how to drive...just sayin'. They're a lot bigger than my group.
I've got two smalls and a large rescue "AAD", All American Dog, that likes to ride on top of the lil dog kennel with her head on my shoulder. The F350 is a perfect fit for her.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM
auriferous auriferous is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 142
auriferous is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
MPG's!

I fill the tank till I see the fuel in the neck and then I know to repeat that benchmark at the end of the trip,do the math etc.I got 17mpg's on a vacation [1100 miles] lot's of highway no trailer . but I just finshed a 3week vaca with a 25' tow behind toyhauler with a upper rear bed[lot's of wind resistance]@6,500 lbs total weight and could not do better than 9 mpg! wind was a definite factor on over half the trip [Ca. to Ar.] 3.73 rear 4x4 crew cab banks tuner set on econ. my suspicion is the trailer tires were one rating below what they should have been? when i bought the trailer I took the wheels up to the store and asked for replacements ,I should have consulted the dealer about the proper tire . I can honestly say that I passed a few people on hills though! she is not lacking any power and I have this stinking obsession to get 12mpg's with this trailer and truck or else .......Well I can't bring myself to say it
__________________
08 F-250 Lariat CC/SB
4x4 Banks 6gun with IQ,CAI/4"SE long beach Ca."That rug tied the room together!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 AM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auriferous View Post
I fill the tank till I see the fuel in the neck and then I know to repeat that benchmark at the end of the trip,do the math etc.I got 17mpg's on a vacation [1100 miles] lot's of highway no trailer . but I just finshed a 3week vaca with a 25' tow behind toyhauler with a upper rear bed[lot's of wind resistance]@6,500 lbs total weight and could not do better than 9 mpg! wind was a definite factor on over half the trip [Ca. to Ar.] 3.73 rear 4x4 crew cab banks tuner set on econ. my suspicion is the trailer tires were one rating below what they should have been? when i bought the trailer I took the wheels up to the store and asked for replacements ,I should have consulted the dealer about the proper tire . I can honestly say that I passed a few people on hills though! she is not lacking any power and I have this stinking obsession to get 12mpg's with this trailer and truck or else .......Well I can't bring myself to say it

I would be in the same boat except I can only avg about 13.5 on a trip (350 mi commute) because of our liberal speed limits and at 75-85 with a lil headwind any better mileage for me is nearly impossible. I may change over to 3:08 axles but that may affect my 5th wheel towing
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
wp6529 wp6529 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 462
wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
I would be in the same boat except I can only avg about 13.5 on a trip (350 mi commute) because of our liberal speed limits and at 75-85 with a lil headwind any better mileage for me is nearly impossible. I may change over to 3:08 axles but that may affect my 5th wheel towing
Perhaps if you picked up a cheap set of wheels and put somewhat oversized tires on them you could get the best of both? Put the oversized on for notmal driving and get the same effect as the ratio change, and when you're going to tow heavy put the stock size on. That would seem better than being stuck with a new ratio all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
Perhaps if you picked up a cheap set of wheels and put somewhat oversized tires on them you could get the best of both? Put the oversized on for notmal driving and get the same effect as the ratio change, and when you're going to tow heavy put the stock size on. That would seem better than being stuck with a new ratio all the time.

Utterly brilliant, I like the way you think!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM
parkland parkland is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,441
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by auriferous View Post
I fill the tank till I see the fuel in the neck and then I know to repeat that benchmark at the end of the trip,do the math etc.I got 17mpg's on a vacation [1100 miles] lot's of highway no trailer . but I just finshed a 3week vaca with a 25' tow behind toyhauler with a upper rear bed[lot's of wind resistance]@6,500 lbs total weight and could not do better than 9 mpg! wind was a definite factor on over half the trip [Ca. to Ar.] 3.73 rear 4x4 crew cab banks tuner set on econ. my suspicion is the trailer tires were one rating below what they should have been? when i bought the trailer I took the wheels up to the store and asked for replacements ,I should have consulted the dealer about the proper tire . I can honestly say that I passed a few people on hills though! she is not lacking any power and I have this stinking obsession to get 12mpg's with this trailer and truck or else .......Well I can't bring myself to say it
One thing that I noticed about the 6.4 tuning, is that it builds crazy boost sometimes, for no reason. Sometimes it seems like a 20% increase in throttle results in boost taking off super high. I disconnected my turbo actuator, and have been driving it for a long time like this. The boost now reflects actual load better, not computer calculated boost.
Using with the spartan tow tune.
With the turbo connected, this truck was always at 10 - 20 psi of boost, and now it runs like 3- 10psi normal driving. EGT's fine. MPG's up.
__________________
Such a cool little toy, for what it costs :

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-01-2014, 02:14 PM
wp6529 wp6529 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 462
wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
One thing that I noticed about the 6.4 tuning, is that it builds crazy boost sometimes, for no reason. Sometimes it seems like a 20% increase in throttle results in boost taking off super high. I disconnected my turbo actuator, and have been driving it for a long time like this. The boost now reflects actual load better, not computer calculated boost.
Using with the spartan tow tune.
With the turbo connected, this truck was always at 10 - 20 psi of boost, and now it runs like 3- 10psi normal driving. EGT's fine. MPG's up.
One note on this: If your truck has it's emissions system intact I would not try this. One reason for the variable geometry turbo and high boost is to reduce soot production (i.e. pack enough air into the cylinders for a clean burn).

If you do this with an intact emissions system you will almost certainly see much more frequent regens, higher resulting fuel consumption, probably higher fuel dilution of the oil and potentially a clogged DPF.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 75
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
One note on this: If your truck has it's emissions system intact I would not try this. One reason for the variable geometry turbo and high boost is to reduce soot production (i.e. pack enough air into the cylinders for a clean burn).

If you do this with an intact emissions system you will almost certainly see much more frequent regens, higher resulting fuel consumption, probably higher fuel dilution of the oil and potentially a clogged DPF.
If I decide to have more brave than brains and unplug with no other mods I'll let you know the end result.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM
parkland parkland is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,441
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
If I decide to have more brave than brains and unplug with no other mods I'll let you know the end result.
Yeah don't even try it on a stock truck, or tuned with DPF on.
Disaster could be the end result.

The 6.4 uses so much EGR that if you disable the turbo, the combustion will be severely lacking clean air, so it will gum everything up and probably run like absolute garbage.
The DPF on tunes control the air intake and EGR intake to burn clean, and if you disable the turbo, it will no longer do that, and likely the truck will run like junk for a short time until the DPF is destroyed.

On a tuned deleted truck, the engine is getting 100% fresh air, instead of EGR mixed air, so the truck runs decent without the turbo actuator hooked up.

One more time, don't mess with the turbo actuator if the DPF is on the truck, or the EGR is operating. Bad idea.
__________________
Such a cool little toy, for what it costs :

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody into antique Fire Trucks? seventyseven250 Alberta Chapter 0 07-30-2014 04:57 PM
Reman 6 liters-Options, advice, experiences? outdoormaniac 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 19 02-01-2014 01:06 PM
Espar / Webasto thejean Alberta Chapter 5 06-14-2013 05:48 PM
the wrong fuel - big mistake lundman 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 7 01-03-2013 10:32 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup