Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Lucky Me-Hedman Header install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM
kevinv10
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Lucky Me-Hedman Header install

No pictures, but, here's my story. After looking into it, I ordered the Hedman Headers, from Summit Racing. Got the regular ones, non coated, delivered for about $357.00.
Installation was reasonably easy. I did pull the passenger side fenderwell, and shock mount out. Liberally soaked all the manifold bolts. Started the motor, let it warm up, sprayed the bolts again. Did this for 3-4 cycles. Let everything cool down, then sprayed the bolts again, I was using PB blaster for this. Now originally, I did have 2 broken bolts, the top front on both sides.
Disconnected the y pipe, O2 sensors, and removed it.
Starting on the passsenger side, I was able to remove all the nuts, then the manifold, and then the bolts. None broke off in the head. Loosely installed the passenger side header.
Removed the drivers side manifold nuts, and bolts. Again none broke off. YAY ME!
Installed the drivers side header loosely. Installed the y pipe, new O2 sensors, and tightened everything up. Started the motor, let it completely warm up, then retightened the header bolts.
Next day I drove about 250 miles, some freeway, around town, slight loads, heavy acceleration, etc. No issues at all. No exhaust leaks. I will check all the bolts again tomorrow, and insure they are all tight.
Few things to note:
The directions from Hedman say to remove the starter, and jack up the motor. While this might make things easier, it is not necessary, and will take longer to complete the job. Only reason to do this is to have easier access to the lower bolts. You can still reach them without removing the starter, or jacking up the motor.
The bolts to the y pipe, from the headers, as supplied by Hedman, are to short, I replaced them with 3" bolts, and lock nuts. Again, will check everything tomorrow.
Some people have stated that you need to remove the remaining factory bolt from the exhaust that connects to the y pipe. I did not do this, and used the Hedman supplied collector bolts in this area.
Re-Using the factory manifold bolts does make the project easier, as you can hang the headers on them, while you install the other bolts. However, with the issues of them breaking, once I got a few bolts in, I removed the factory ones, and used the Hedman supplied bolts.
Overall, if you are considering the headers, Pricewise, the Hedmans are pretty affordable. And while I only have about 250 miles on them, I have noticed a slight increase in mileage, and better low end response. I will continue to update this as time goes on. But, overall, the Hedmans are making me happy.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for posting!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for sharing but where are the pictures. Also in the excursion section hav24wheel shared some pictures of the flanges coming apart, may want to tack them in place or something.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM
kevinv10
More Turbo
I know, I know, I should have taken pictures. however, AK_Angler, has some excellent pictures on his post. I will try and take some tomorrow or the next day. Bently_Coop, I am aware of the flanges problem. I spoke with Hedman before I ordered them. They aknowledged there were issues in the past, but, have stated they are now using thicker steel, and have resolved the issue......or so they say. however, they did say they still have the lifetime warranty, if there are issues.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 PM
7racecar7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!

how long did the job take you?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 PM
kevinv10
More Turbo
7racear7, start to finish, it was about 8 hours. But, that included running to the parts store for a 15mm socket that I could not find. And, another trip to town for the longer bolts to the y pipe. Also, I did not rush things. I took my time and did it step by step. If you have everything in front of you, and don't have your 4 year old daughter "trying" to help, it can be done in probably 5-6 hours, not including soak time for the PB blaster on the original manifold bolts.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
bolowc
New User
What is "slight" increase in mileage?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bolowc
What is "slight" increase in mileage?
When I did my Borla system on my 99, I gained .5 or so solo. However, when I was towing it went up to 1-1.5 mpg. More ummph so less pedal is what I figured.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kevinv10
7racear7, start to finish, it was about 8 hours. But, that included running to the parts store for a 15mm socket that I could not find. And, another trip to town for the longer bolts to the y pipe. Also, I did not rush things. I took my time and did it step by step. If you have everything in front of you, and don't have your 4 year old daughter "trying" to help, it can be done in probably 5-6 hours, not including soak time for the PB blaster on the original manifold bolts.
Good to know I am not the only one with this problem.

I do love her however, she does test my patience.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
kevinv10
More Turbo
Bently_Coop yes, mine decided to "help" me by using a screwdriver to check my tires, while saying "daddy, I'm helping!" Yes you are sweetheart. So precious at that age, so glad when the wife came out and took her inside!
bolowc, don't really have a figure for you, just noticed it did not go through a tank as fast as before. If I had to guess, with no real math involved, I would say maybe 1 more mpg right now. Will do some better tests later and see.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
muddyforeman
Junior User
I hope to start on my Thorleys this wknd, wish me luck!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM
kevinv10
More Turbo
UPDATE:
So, I installed the Hedman headers on 06/16/2014. Since then I have towed our fifth wheel over the passes 7 times.
These headers a are great big pile-o-dooky! I have constantly had problems with the y pipe to headers connecting starting to leak.
At first, I thought I was using the wrong type of bolts, as every time they leaked, the bolts were loose. However, after the last trip I have realized it appears the headers are being deformed due to the load on them possibly. By that I mean the gap between the header flanges, and the y pipe flanges are getting smaller and smaller. It appears to my untrained, non-scientific eye, the the actual headers are being deformed and slipping deeper into the y pipe. If that makes sense.
I know Hedman had an issue with this connection in the past, however, prior to buying them, I called Hedman, and was told I would be getting the new and improved, redesigned system.
So, sadly, I will be replacing this system with a Banks system.
Just letting everyone know.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:46 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would let Hedman know! If the headers are in good shape then see if you can cut out the collector and weld in flanges with gaskets.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:03 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
The flanges on the Headman Headers have haunted a couple other members as well. Sorry to hear about that.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 AM
toddb1
Mountain Pass
I had the same problem. I let hedman know and they were willing to resolve it but I had to pay to ship, AZ to CA was some $75. I converted the joints to slip fits like thorley does it and haven't had a problem since. The flanges on them are pure garbage.

Quick Reply: Lucky Me-Hedman Header install