Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I have had mine since new and I never noticed a fan "roar". Same with my dads 03'. The 03' Explorer though that thing roars quite a bit.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Junior User

muddyforeman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I notice the fan clutch when my truck is started. I can also hear it when it comes in on a long hard pull up a hill, I can feel it too as it'll drop a mph or so when it does.
03 ECLB F250 V10 Auto. 5 Star SCT 4:30 Gear Detroit Tru Trac Doug Thorley headers
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Freshman User

7racecar7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
renningerracing
Well it wasnt fan clutch

I put a new fan clutch on and same deal. Also the new fan clutch has smaller bolts to it and after finding the bolts the heads almost slide through the holes in the fan leaving play, so after ordering the new fan with smaller holes i had everything together.

I started the truck up and "roar" great i though that was that but I towed again this weekend 90 degrees out and first hill the temp started to get up to the red line I was expecting the fan to engage and it never happened.

So back to turning the heat on full blast to help cool it off, made it to my destination with getting to the red line once and the warning light came on, i pulled off and let it cool...took about 5 min to get back down to 209.

So I drove this week with out towing and the temp was 195 to 203 tops (300 mile trip)....then add the tow(5000lbs) and it got up to 203 quickly then averaged 215 and spiked at 240 when the warning light came one...and cooled it back to 209 and ran the rest of the way around 215 to 220 all temps according to the scan guauge II readings....temp spikes only on inclines.

So I can still get this back to the dealer this week but again they need to duplicated it to fix it...although this time i took video of the trip....also not sure why the fan is not kicking into "roar" mode when it gets hot...i pulled the rubber top of the radiator area today and ran a hose through the back side to front of the radiator then blew it out with air, didnt see a ton coming out.

Not sure what to do from here...the warranty is for power train not sure radiator falls into that category, my worst fear is head gasket but im not loosing coolant, there is a touch of dampness at the bottom of the radiator where the 2 small lines run but that looks like it can be cleaned up and doubt that would cause overheating...

So if i wasnt under warranty i would prob replace the radiator....but since i am i want to eliminate any bigger issue (head gasket that dealer will cover is its the issue)....but the dealer will not be towing up a hill with 5k on a 90 degree day so this duplication thing is the issue as its been there once and they can not reproduce...they did pressure test and said ok.

any advice appreciated...
Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Junior User

Vwags has a good reputation on FTE.Vwags has a good reputation on FTE.
I would be suspecting a blockage in the radiator. My mom had an old Cadillac that when we took it on a trip the coolant temp light would come on going uphill and go off when going down hill. Never did when driving around town. Only on the long grade called "The Grapevine". I replaced the radiator and it went away. If you have an IR Thermometer you could look for hot and cold spots.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
I think vwags may be on the right track otherwise is it possible to switch the heater core hoses around and see if the flow changes or if something loosens.

Did you ever use stop leak in it?
99 F250 CCSB V10 - 4"MBRP cat back, SPD y pipe, K&N Drop in, zoo dad, Powerslot cryo rotors up front, hawk pads all 4 corners, weathertech visors, husky liners, 2008 Complete back end, Bilstein 5100 up front and pro comps in rear, Bestop EZ roll. More to come....
Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Freshman User

renningerracing
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
I think vwags may be on the right track otherwise is it possible to switch the heater core hoses around and see if the flow changes or if something loosens.

Did you ever use stop leak in it?
I did not, I've owned the truck for about a month and a half, Im a worst case scenario thought guy and really dont trust to many things when it comes to auto....

so got from dealer, on phone they said head gasket, ive been looking for issues before i waste a week back and forth to dealer getting another ride ect trying to trouble shoot whats not covered under warranty and stuff i can fix and should replace anyway for reliability ect...but I would hate to think there was a head gasket issue and they put stop leak/barhs whatever or anything else in it to patch it up and now clogging up flow/radiator...

i change the thermostat today because why not at this point...read on here they can stick...visually they look the same got motocraft to replace the spring is easy to move...not sure what i would be looking for in a bad one...but truck has no issues getting up to temp quick, or overheating anywhere but towing so i would imagine the thermostat would be a long shot...

so anyway if you do it right the block seal/leak/barhs stuff works (ive used in racecars) but you have to follow the direction exact like flushing or running with a spark plug out...and then run out put new coolant mix in...some people just poor it in and think thats that...and leads to the clogging issue...not sure how i would check that, with the thermostat change today i got a good feel for the coolant nothing glaring like chunks...im thinking i might do a flush...to see what comes out..

im thinking about pulling the trigger on a new radiator...will talk to dealer tomorrow assuming the radiator is not in the "power train" warranty...with me towing a new radiator can not hurt anyway with 130k....nothing like braking down with a beast of a truck and a race car in tow 400 miles from home...shoot me...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Junior User

So if I read this right the dealer is diagnosing this as a head gasket which they would cover but you don't believe them and are trying get an idea of what it might really be to get them to cover that. I have a hard time believing a head gasket is causing it with out any loss of coolant but if all else fails you could have them do the head gasket and make sure you see the vehicle in process to verify that they are doing the work and not just using a "mechanic in a can".
Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
in a can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwags View Post
So if I read this right the dealer is diagnosing this as a head gasket which they would cover but you don't believe them and are trying get an idea of what it might really be to get them to cover that. I have a hard time believing a head gasket is causing it with out any loss of coolant but if all else fails you could have them do the head gasket and make sure you see the vehicle in process to verify that they are doing the work and not just using a "mechanic in a can".
its not that i dont believe them that is what the guy on the phone said (service manager) after I had it in the first time, they went over it topped off the coolant, pressure tested it and said it was prob the coolant level (i was skeptical because at that point I had the truck for 2 weeks)

so the temp spike happened again 2 days later over the weekend when towing and I called that Monday morning and we were going over what was going on over the phone and he jumped to head gasket..that lead to whats covered under warranty head gasket is...good call on going to check the in process im calling today to sort out the rest...

i really thought it was going to be the fan clutch...and for 200.00 was worth the effort to pursue...so from here I will find out if the radiator is covered if so then it goes is if not i have to consider changing or flushing....eliminate that then everything else is covered under warranty like water pump, heads ect...unless im missing something to check...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Junior User

toddb1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
have you tried just back washing the radiator? They tend to collect a lot of road dirt over the years. I washed a bunch out of mine when I put my intercooler in.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Freshman User

renningerracing
Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb1 View Post
have you tried just back washing the radiator? They tend to collect a lot of road dirt over the years. I washed a bunch out of mine when I put my intercooler in.
if you mean take a garden hose and wash from inside out and then blow out with forced air i did a once over, i think i would need to take it out to do it right but i didnt get a ton of dirt out...but after a while with the air i got strands out so it could be something to do more thoroughly...on my list of to dos...if the radiator does not get replaced first...

you mentioned innercooler...what is that...i know what the condenser is then there is one smaller one about 6" tall and as long as the condenser directly in back of condenser on the bottom then about a 6" space then the radiator and i assume transmission cooler lines to the bottom of the radiator...i then have one small one in front of the radiator on the upper left side if you are looking forward over the truck...i assume one is an oil cooler but not sure about the 2nd one...thanks for any help...
Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Junior User

An intercooler is like a radiator or any other cooler except that it cools the air charge coming out of a turbocharger or supercharger before it goes into the engine. If you don't have a turbo or supercharger you don't have an intercooler. As I was thinking about it if I was going to have the head gasket replaced I would very likely replace the radiator if for no other reason to protect that new gasket. Maybe replacing the radiator should be in your future regardless of the head gasket. If you try to flush it and it comes out clean does not automatically mean the radiator is clean inside. I still think an IR Thermometer or at least your hand (after turning the engine off of course) placed at different spots on the radiator could give you some clues as to its effectiveness.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwags View Post
An intercooler is like a radiator or any other cooler except that it cools the air charge coming out of a turbocharger or supercharger before it goes into the engine. If you don't have a turbo or supercharger you don't have an intercooler. As I was thinking about it if I was going to have the head gasket replaced I would very likely replace the radiator if for no other reason to protect that new gasket. Maybe replacing the radiator should be in your future regardless of the head gasket. If you try to flush it and it comes out clean does not automatically mean the radiator is clean inside. I still think an IR Thermometer or at least your hand (after turning the engine off of course) placed at different spots on the radiator could give you some clues as to its effectiveness.
I shot the radiator with the IR last night operating temp on my scan gauge was 209 there were different temps on the radiator ranging from 154 to 195 the middle was cooler the outside hotter
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Junior User

toddb1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
backwashing the radiator like you said will help clear debris. When the truck is up to temp IR the inlet temp and the outlet to see what the temp drop is across the rad.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
IR Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb1 View Post
backwashing the radiator like you said will help clear debris. When the truck is up to temp IR the inlet temp and the outlet to see what the temp drop is across the rad.
Ok the top hose is about 188 pending where you hit it highest spot was 192 but mostly 185-190

Then the bigger bottom hose about 172 and the smaller hose about 165

I also noticed some seaping on one of the metal lines going into the bottom of the radiator going to tighten that up or open it up and put some Teflon around it...its minimal but noticeable
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
Radiator clean found a chirp vide link provided

I took the fan and shroud out today and throughly cleaned the radiator mostly small particles of dirt I wouldn't say it was filthy but had some dirt in it, I did notice a slight discoloration in a good portion of the fins a very faint brown coloring spent about 45 min with water and air

On another note I noticed this chirp or ticking

I may have gotten water on belt can clean/replace belt and clean up pulleys I read soapy water on belt and degreaser on pully?

If not the water I did change thermostat so could also could have been drops of coolant that made it on belt unlikely bit possible
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)