Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
New User

BrianDye is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is a diesel ideal for long commutes?

I've been in the market for a new (to me) vehicle for awhile now, waiting a bit longer to build my credit up a bit more, and I have some questions about diesels.

I grew up around my uncle and grandpa driving lifted F2/350 diesels, and as a kid, fell in love with them. I've never owned one, nor do I know much more than the basics about them.

I want to buy a truck and lift it, and it would be my DD for at least a year, but possibly longer.

95% of my drive is my work commute which is about 35 all-highway miles, and occasionally trips into town.

Some friends tell me to go for it, and I'll never want to get rid of it, and other friends are saying itl be the biggest mistake to buy a diesel as a DD.

As for climate, (since some seem to have problems starting in the winter) our summers range from 70 degrees-100ish, and Winters get down to -30 at times. I would be parked right in front of my garage so running a cord for a block heater would be no problem.

If it matters, I'm looking for 4 doors and preferably the long bed. Might even consider an Excursion but the people that have the ones I like know what they have, lol.

Do you guys have any regrets buying your diesels vs a gasser? I'm leaning towards the 7.3 also, but wouldn't mind a newer body style with the 6.4 but I hear some horror stories about them.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i have had diesels trucks as daily drivers for the past 26 years.
with the cost of fuel these days though, i have been using the car a lot more, because it get the same mileage. so it costs less to drive the car.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Elder User

Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.
I have just about the best possible ford diesel combination for mileage A 2000 7.3 2wd xl with a 6speed with only 110k miles It averages 20mpg

And I walk right past it every morning to get in a 2000 v6 auto short bed GMC Sierra with over 230k miles. It's quieter, rides better, gets essentially the same mileage but on far far cheaper fuel and oil changes and will not be irreplaceable when I wear it out merely transporting my butt from A to B and back each day

Buying a diesel to commute isn't necicarily a bad idea. But having to buy a 3/4 ton > just for the privilege kinda is.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Buy what you want. If you want a diesel buy a diesel.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDye View Post

As for climate, (since some seem to have problems starting in the winter) our summers range from 70 degrees-100ish, and Winters get down to -30 at times. I would be parked right in front of my garage so running a cord for a block heater would be no problem.
iv never owned a gas engine that starts so easy when cold as my diesels.
those glow plugs are a very,very nice thing.

i can't help ya with your debate though.im far,far,far too cheap to ever desire driving a truck (of gas or diesel) around empty,let alone a lifted one on large rubber for fun.it's so easy to say when you prefer driving a car anyway though.good luck to ya.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Is a diesel ideal for long commutes?
Ideal no, manageable yes.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
A diesel would be ideal for a long commute. Something like a TDI or old Rabbit diesel, though, not a truck.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
^^^^Truth^^^^
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
35 miles is a long commute?
Thats barely enough to get the block up to operating temp on a 3/4 ton truck.
You can do it if you want, but might be wasting some money.
Diesel are ideal for long trips, like multiple hours, and towing. If you aren't doing either, your probably throwing money away on it.
A 4 door 4x4 diesel will maybe get 20 MPG, put a lift and bigger tires on, and say hello to 16 MPG tops, highway.

What about a gas truck, and with the money saved, but a little commuter car?
Just drive the truck when you have extra cash to burn?

Gas engines start way easier than diesel, unless they aren't running right.

It sounds like there is more "want" than "need" here, so if you want one, by all means go for it.
What about a cheaper IDI 6.9 or 7.3 truck? Sometimes you can find good deals on them, I even seen them with recently rebuilt engines for cheap.

Or does this need to be a coal rolling mall crawler?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Posting Guru

Ya'll know we are just talking to ourselves at this point, the OP hasn't been on in over two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Six View Post
A diesel would be ideal for a long commute. Something like a TDI or old Rabbit diesel, though, not a truck.
Personally I think an IDI/E4OD in something like a 69 Torino would make an awesome commuter.

I got these crazy ideas, how about a mutt combination of a F250HD4WD/IDI/E4OD and a 1970-71 Ranchero with the Torino GT grill. Not tall, but not low, F250HD to use the D50TTB in order to carry the weight, have 4WD, IFS, and not too tall, with the right mods a TTB can get pretty low. Go really crazy and put a CC dually rear axle in it and tub it with a 5th wheel hitch.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
35 miles is a long commute?
Thats barely enough to get the block up to operating temp on a 3/4 ton truck.
You can do it if you want, but might be wasting some money.
Diesel are ideal for long trips, like multiple hours, and towing. If you aren't doing either, your probably throwing money away on it.
A 4 door 4x4 diesel will maybe get 20 MPG, put a lift and bigger tires on, and say hello to 16 MPG tops, highway.

What about a gas truck, and with the money saved, but a little commuter car?
Just drive the truck when you have extra cash to burn?

Gas engines start way easier than diesel, unless they aren't running right.

It sounds like there is more "want" than "need" here, so if you want one, by all means go for it.
What about a cheaper IDI 6.9 or 7.3 truck? Sometimes you can find good deals on them, I even seen them with recently rebuilt engines for cheap.

Or does this need to be a coal rolling mall crawler?
WTF are you talking about parkland? It doesn't take 35 miles to warm up the engine...
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
agreed. my diesels will be at operating temps in 5 miles or less.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
WTF are you talking about parkland? It doesn't take 35 miles to warm up the engine...
OK not 35 to warm up, but it takes multiple miles just to get to operating temperature.
This was my major point, is that if you spend half the trip warming up, that's not really ideal.
Depending on where you live, and time of year, it could take less.
My diesels have taken about 5 miles to warm up in summer, and about 15 when it's really cold.
Obviously they still run fine, for a 1 mile trip, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone to do on a daily basis.
I've seen the oil on some trucks that run short trips, it looks like greyish brown foamy garbage, the moisture collects in there, and never burns out.

The OP says winter can be -30, that is pretty cold. That means a lot of idling to warm up, and wear and tear.

Can you own a diesel and drive 35 miles a day? Sure you can, many do.
Is it going to save any money? Most likely not.
Maybe if you live somewhere thats hot all year.

I drive 100 miles with mine, otherwise I usually take my car, which is better on gas and warms up faster, and burns cheaper fuel.

I just want the OP to realize, that when some guys post up here that they get 20 MPG, (or whatever) on trips, he is unlikely to see that, with shorter trips. Thus becoming less economical.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Post Fiend

And also, a stock 6.4, with emissions system intact, I wouldn't consider for a commute like that, at all. When mine had the DPF, and it was -30, it was regen time every time I drove away after warming up, almost every time. Maybe the 5% gov't mandated biodiesel at play, who knows, but it wasn't a good thing, and mileage took a crap when cold because of that.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Posting Guru

The warm up thing I as true for spark engines as it is for compression engines.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion