Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

New F250

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F250

I have just been reading an article in the Sunday mail regarding the new F250,s.
I see that Performax have been granted government approval to import, convert and sell the new F250 series. The trucks will be due for release around august next year at this stage with the price being between $100,000 to $125,000 depending on the model and US exchange rates. These trucks will have nothing to do with ford Australia and will not need an independent engineers approval and have approval for registration in all states and territories.

It would be nice to have a new one, but at over double the price of the truck in the US is just crazy.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Wallsy,

I like the look of the new trucks. I've also got 2 main reservations:
1) Price - you'd have to really earn some money with the truck to justify the outlay - which I don't;
2) the body of knowledge & parts available to help you keep the truck up & running without haemorrhaging money - which is still nothing like the support you get with the 7.3.

So just like cricket, there are 3 choices to think about: yes, no, or wait.

I hovering somewhere between no & wait ATM.

cheers 4 now!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 AM
2-many-toys
Freshman User
I have a 2012 SWB FX4 F250 and love it. It's worth every cent (although double the US price sucks!!).

Harrison F Trucks in VIC (converted by VDC and supported by All American Driveline) already import and sell them. Not sure what's special about Performax doing it? I've had awesome support from Harrison F Trucks and All American Driveline and the conversion by VDC is very tidy. I have no doubt I'll get another one from them in the future.

Cheers, Mal.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going thru the hoops and loops to import my F250 I have in the states. Sadly on the expense side, I can see why they are charging those prices. First of all, the conversion is an expensive process (cheapest quote I saw was 25 grand, and that was by a New Zealand company where I would have to ship truck to NZ, then to Aus, most expensive quote was 38 grand from an Aus company). Shipping from the US is about 4-5 grand (another 4 grand to ship it from NZ if I used that shop), then there is GST/LCT/Stamp Duty...

As for a truck. Its very good. Its much faster, quieter, more economical, comfortable etc. but I also miss my old 7.3 - mostly because it was a manual.

Also, as Simon said, parts are a bit of a concern. Oil/Fuel/Air filters I'll have to order from the US, and if it ever gives any trouble, I have to accept that I might be without the truck for a month or so as I order in parts.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 PM
2-many-toys
Freshman User
It's actually not that bad. The guys here seem to stock the common stuff, and even the not-so-common stuff is here within a few days. After waiting for months, for parts for a Jaguar and BMW over the last few years, a week seems quick! Hell, it can take a week to get a Ford Falcon part from Melbourne to Sydney.

Good luck getting yours over. It will be worth it, and if the conversion is a good one it will hold its value too.

Cheers, Mal.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I didn't know that about the parts Mal, good to know.

I did follow your lead, and bought a Northstar camper to put on the back of my truck for when it comes back too.

I managed to find a shop here in the states that will do the conversion for a reasonable price - they seem to do a bunch of US government contract work, I saw 2 Ford Raptors that they had converted, and was really impressed, they also have a small quantity import license to Aus, so if all goes well with my import I'll share their details for anyone else looking to go down the path.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:55 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BigF350
I didn't know that about the parts Mal, good to know.

I did follow your lead, and bought a Northstar camper to put on the back of my truck for when it comes back too.

I managed to find a shop here in the states that will do the conversion for a reasonable price - they seem to do a bunch of US government contract work, I saw 2 Ford Raptors that they had converted, and was really impressed, they also have a small quantity import license to Aus, so if all goes well with my import I'll share their details for anyone else looking to go down the path.

now thats giving me half a chubbie

Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
now thats giving me half a chubbie
Dodge ,Ford ,Dodge ,Ford

Hmmmm

Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

yep like em both. If you made me choose right now I would take the RAM. Especially now they have the 1500 with the 3.0ltr.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Have you seen the payload on those Brian?
My Courier can carry more.

I do like that you can still get the Ram 2500/3500 with a manual trans tho, and I like that they have added rear coils/airbags from the factory on the 2500 (altho you can't manually adjust them...). I'm definitely a Ford fan, but was very close to getting a 2500 Ram with a manual trans and Cummins.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

yep like em both. If you made me choose right now I would take the RAM. Especially now they have the 1500 with the 3.0ltr.
1500 WTF don't go girly on me now bruvva....

Im driving a cummins atm 600 HP,2050lbs torque,goes good..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Ninja380
Freshman User
I could buy a new f250, or pay off the house.....

There is a MOB called SCD, I drive past there all the time, they have dodge and ford, also chevy, they are making a killing, My mate lives near one of them. Apparently they make from $30000 and up (per unit). Having said that, they may only sell one a month. still gotta pay the bills.

Right Hand Drive Conversions | Dodge Ram Conversions

I'm currently applying for jobs out on the GAS fields, which will make my disposable income a little higher. Still will pay the house off 1st, then maybe buy a bigger house.

taking donations ..... now.....

Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Ninja380
I could buy a new f250, or pay off the house.....

There is a MOB called SCD, I drive past there all the time, they have dodge and ford, also chevy, they are making a killing, My mate lives near one of them. Apparently they make from $30000 and up (per unit). Having said that, they may only sell one a month. still gotta pay the bills.

Right Hand Drive Conversions | Dodge Ram Conversions

I'm currently applying for jobs out on the GAS fields, which will make my disposable income a little higher. Still will pay the house off 1st, then maybe buy a bigger house.

taking donations ..... now.....

pffft, pay off the house. U dont go buy and say, wow - that is one sweet looking house. Now buy a brand new f truck. yeh baby

Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

pffft, pay off the house. U dont go buy and say, wow - that is one sweet looking house. Now buy a brand new f truck. yeh baby

Yep fekkin house is over rated,got me Ftruck nothing else matters.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM
2-many-toys
Freshman User
Yep, the saying goes "he who dies with the most toys wins", not he who pays of his mortgage wins ;-)

Quick Reply: New F250