6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Air Condition Fan Speed After Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:23 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
My curiosity got the better of me so I slipped out for lunch.

The results were interesting. After remote starting the truck just now, the fan speed was in low. Whoever coded that piece of software is confused with how remote start is supposed to work.

I turned the key to "on" and all lights turn off and climate control turns off. I turned the key further to "run" and the climate control went back to how I left it this morning, full blast on Lo. I run the temp up to about 72 and the fan drops down, I drop the temp back down to Lo and the fan speeds up.

So in summary:
Yes the fan is in low when remote start is activated regardless of previous settings.
Yes the fan is in high if that's the last setting after the remote start is deactivated by turning the key all the way.

>Yes the fan is in low when remote start is activated regardless of previous settings.

no.. that is also not how climate control during remote start works.

it make a determination if it needs heating or cooling and adjusts properly.
from the owners manual, sadly . 'cold, hot and moderate are not defined.
someone on the forums had posted what those numbers were, maybe here, but I don't remember. (but we didn't like what was selected as I recall)
"
The climate control system will condition the cabin temperature during
remote start based on the outside temperature. Engine idle may increase
to help with adjusting the cabin temperature.
Manual climate control
For hot weather conditions:

The climate control system will be set to MAX A/C.

For cold weather conditions:

The climate control system will be set to provide maximum heating in (floor/defrost) mode.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.

For moderate weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be heated, cooled or off, based upon the
previous operating state (last ignition-on cycle).

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be deactivated.

Automatic climate control
For hot weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).

The cooled seats (if equipped) will be set to high.

For cold weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).

The heated seats (if equipped) will be set to high.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.
For moderate weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be heated, cooled, or off, based upon the
previous operating state (last ignition-on cycle).

Heated/cooled seats (if equipped) will be deactivated.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be deactivated"

Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
>Yes the fan is in low when remote start is activated regardless of previous settings.

no.. that is also not how climate control during remote start works.

it make a determination if it needs heating or cooling and adjusts properly.
from the owners manual, sadly . 'cold, hot and moderate are not defined.
someone on the forums had posted what those numbers were, maybe here, but I don't remember. (but we didn't like what was selected as I recall)
I don't know how to explain it any clearer. I'm simply talking about fan speed, not temperature, and the manual you quoted does not mention fan speed, it mentions temperature.

My research stands. The fan turns on its slowest setting if the truck is remote started and the key has not been turned in the ignition, regardless of previous settings.

I'd be fine with the automatic 72 degree temp setting if the fan would just blow WOT in hot weather.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I don't know how to explain it any clearer. I'm simply talking about fan speed, not temperature, and the manual you quoted does not mention fan speed, it mentions temperature.

My research stands. The fan turns on its slowest setting if the truck is remote started and the key has not been turned in the ignition, regardless of previous settings.

I'd be fine with the automatic 72 degree temp setting if the fan would just blow WOT in hot weather.
that is not how my truck behaves.

if I remote start
and it is 100 outside, and the truck has been sitting, when I open the door the fan is on full tilt blowing out the dash vents, and the temp is cold coming out of the vents (if I give it a minute or two)

if it is 30 outside, the fan is on full tilt, but the air is flowing out the floor vents. and the temp is (trying to be ) warm

if its near 75 outside, (doesn't happen than much in austin) it might be on low fan.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru

if I remote start
and it is 100 outside, and the truck has been sitting, when I open the door the fan is on full tilt blowing out the dash vents, and the temp is cold coming out of the vents (if I give it a minute or two)

if it is 30 outside, the fan is on full tilt, but the air is flowing out the floor vents. and the temp is (trying to be ) warm

if its near 75 outside, (doesn't happen than much in austin) it might be on low fan.
Ah, well that explains the confusion.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Ah, well that explains the confusion.
yeh, and our 'problem' is that we open the door, the fan is blowing full tilt on cold, and we turn the key and it shuts off..!! WTF?!..its still hot in here..! just like a second ago..

Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I remote start

Sam... I believe the confusion my be the model year of the trucks. Your signature states you have a 2012. I "believe" this condition started with the 2013 models, or at least read that somewhere. My previous truck was a 2011 and did not experience this condition. When I remote started and got in the truck it would be blowing full (when HOT outside). When I turned the key the blower would shut down for a second and then RETURN to blowing full. My 2016 does not do this.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by allcool
It does say in the manual, system will resume the last 'setting', not the last fan speed. Auto is a setting, yes..?
I don't think so. I take it to mean ACTUAL fan speed setting, not control setting.

control is auto, fan speed is low.. thats what happens.
set to auto, fan speed set to last actual.
we have proven it works EXACTLY as documented..

on key turn, it returns the 'settings' to the SAME STATE as when the truck was turned off.. the ONLY thing missing is the functional working state of AUTO.

the fan returns to the SAME SPEED as when the truck was last running.
I did the tests and provided the results here 2 yrs ago now.

the text from the manual
"Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle) and adjustments can be made normally."
No 'we' have not proven it works as documented... The exact opposite.
Your definition of last setting is not correct in any form, for any normal reasonable operator.

Whats normal or 'last settingish' about the fan speed increasing when turning the temp **** up to a higher temp(80°+) when the cab is 100° inside,,, and fan speed slowing down to almost nothing when turning the temp **** down to 60°...? All after a remote start then key in and engine running.

Maybe your 2012 truck doesn't do this, but every truck we tried in the dealer lot did not work as the manual states. And the temp **** works exactly opposite as it should after a remote start.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely luv my truck, but that doesn't mean we all should overlook problems and incorrectly call it normal operation as in the manual. This problem should not be common on $60,000+ luxury trucks with automatic climate control. In normal everyday operation a driver shouldn't have to reboot his climate control system multiple times every day...

jmo

Old 07-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
My curiosity got the better of me so I slipped out for lunch.

The results were interesting. After remote starting the truck just now, the fan speed was in low. Whoever coded that piece of software is confused with how remote start is supposed to work.

I turned the key to "on" and all lights turn off and climate control turns off. I turned the key further to "run" and the climate control went back to how I left it this morning, full blast on Lo. I run the temp up to about 72 and the fan drops down, I drop the temp back down to Lo and the fan speeds up.

So in summary:
Yes the fan is in low when remote start is activated regardless of previous settings.
Yes the fan is in high if that's the last setting after the remote start is deactivated by turning the key all the way.

Second update. This procedure has not worked for me since I typed up the above response. Lately, the fan has been staying on low after turning the key from remote start. I have been making sure each time I shut down that the fan is blowing wide open, prepping for the next trip. It doesn't recall fan speed consistently.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I visited my daughter & son in law last weekend, they have a 2016 Eclipse and 2015 Explorer. Both behave EXACTLY the same way..

remote start, fan on full blast, transition to running, fan resets to speed when turned off..

Old 08-26-2016, 03:30 PM
guiness
New User
First post, hope it adds something...Just bought 2013 CC F250 Platinum with the spark plug delete option. Converted over from a 2011 Silverado that had remote start and Auto Temp Control. I read the first 10 or so posts and the last 7-8 posts. On the Chevy, after a remote start, when you turn the key to run, the Climate system actually shuts down or pauses for a second and then it starts doing what it needs to do to reach the desired temp. It appears my new to me F250 returns both the fan speed and the air temperature (air temp door actuator) to their "previous setting".

My example, I drove up to Maine and arrived at 11pm, it was 55F outside and the ATC was heating the cabin to my setting of 74 degrees. The next day I did not get in to the truck until about 12 noon and it was 80 degrees outside, probably hotter in the truck. I remote started and I remember getting in to the truck and not noticing anything odd which, to me, means the truck was probably trying to cool down. I am driving along I start to realize HEAT is slowly coming out of the vents. My first thought is, "Oh great the ATC on the truck I just bought is shot!" I let it go for about 3-4 minutes just because I thought maybe it WAS cooler inside the truck, when I started sweating, and it was obvious it was well over 74 in the truck, I turned the temp dial way down and the system started working correctly. Once I hit 'Auto' again it was fine.

So the truck went back to the previous setting, of the night before when it was keeping the temp up to 74, rather than doing what it needed to do to get down to the 74 degree setting. The software apparently sets the fan, and temp door actuators to their previous settings, and ignores the ambient air sensor.

It is programmed whacky and needs to be fixed please!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Brahmus
New User
Dead horse here but I will add my similar experience. 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 living in hot/humid south Louisiana and always leave the truck set on auto at 72*. Remote start truck for lunch after sitting in 90*F heat. Get in truck, air is blowing cold but fan is on low. Put key in and turn to run, CC lights comes on but nothing changes with air temp or fan speed. I must either change the controls to manual or turn the CC completely off and back on and then the fan speed will increase as it should to cool off triple digits. It's annoying and the dealer is telling me that is the way the truck is programmed. Seems ridiculous! There, now I feel better, until I leave for lunch!

Old 10-29-2016, 04:54 PM
LoneStarLegend
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
The owner's manual explains it exactly as is. Your "previous setting" is what you had it on when you shut down the truck on the last drive cycle, meaning your last setting.

To all in this thread.... the remote start system is designed to adjust cabin temps based on "outside" temperatures. It does this automatically as long as you have it set that way in the settings menu of your driver information display. Once you put the key in the ignition, the system reverts to what you had it set when you last drove the truck and turned the ignition key off.

So if your fan speed slows down or speeds up, then it's probably what you had it set on when you last drove the truck. If you have the automatic temp control, then it's going to revert to the last temp setting. Sometimes it does take a minute for it to "read" the interior temps.

You can change these settings to manual, along with a few other options depending on how your truck is equipped.

If you have the automatic temp control, and if there is a significant delay or some issue, I haven't seen a TSB about it yet nor have I experienced it myself or even heard about it until I read this thread. If you are experiencing those issues, I'd like to know more details since I deal with these systems on a daily basis.

Post in this thread or send me a PM if you prefer. But I would really like a detailed explanation of what's happening.
I am having the same issues in my 2016 F-350 Platinum, PLUS even when the system is OFF, on a cool day heat start rolling out the vents...So hot, I have to turn the A/C on to make it stop. The other issue I'm having is that while on Recirc, it still sucks in fresh air(exhaust fumes, dead skunk stank, etc). What the Heck? I took it in to a dealer, and they supposed re-flashed the A/C ECU, but it didn't do anything. Has FORD come out with a fix, yet? I see these posts go WAY back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:00 PM
LoneStarLegend
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
One more thing, my 2012 F-250 didn't have ANY of these issues. The system worked great. When remote started, if it was hot, the system run high to cool the truck down, and when I turned the key, it resumed operation normally. The fan didn't slow down, and it remembered the last setting I had it on! I guess Ford has been too busy with the new 2017 Super Duty to care much about this...