Project Daily Driver, 1990 F250 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Project Daily Driver, 1990 F250

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Senior User

The other Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice job. I'm glad your happy with the outcome.

I do paint and body and know how much labor is involved.

Black is a bi/$h to keep clean, but looks so nice when it's done

Joe W
Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Senior User

emspjay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.emspjay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Joe View Post
Nice job. I'm glad your happy with the outcome.

I do paint and body and know how much labor is involved.

Black is a bi/$h to keep clean, but looks so nice when it's done

Joe W
Thank you Joe!

I applaud you for being in the paint and body business! It has been so long for me I forgot how much work it was! LOL! Other than some wet sanding and rubbing out old paint with my Makita wheel on other cars this was the first body work I have done in 13 years!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Junior User

TheCoach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great stuff... If i could get mine looking like that one day Id be a happy guy.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Senior User

emspjay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.emspjay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Coach, all it takes is a little bit of free time I got this truck less than 2 months ago.

So here is the current tally on cost for this since the main goal is having a nice daily driver 3/4 or 1 ton truck on a budget. (and i'm going to sell my 2011 1500 Ram and get rid of that $530.00 a month payment when this F250 is done)

Truck purchase $1600.00 cash

New tires and wheels $830.00 shipped to my door (discount tire direct)

New Lug nuts $35.00 shipped (Ebay)

VA inspection $16.00 (truck passed with flying colors!)

New Tailgate $138.00 shipped (LMC Truck)

New Paint Maaco $600.00

Rear brakes about $150 in parts (advance auto) did everything myself and bent and flared the new lines)

About $40.00 in MISC door/window and tailgate seals from LMC truck.

New headlights, taillights, grill $280.00 (Ebay)

Change oil, air filter, new wipers about $60.00 (advance auto)

New front fuel tank pump/sender $120.00 (advance auto)

I will say about $300 in misc sandpaper, primer, paint, etc.

New door stereo speakers $33.00 (Ebay) Replaced those when I had the door panels off for painting it black.

Last edited by emspjay; 06-15-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Senior User

Now here is the "To Do List"

Fix the A/C

New rear tank fuel pump/sender

New front brakes and lines

New stereo

Spray in bed liner

Fuel filter

Change trans fluid

Change coolant

Change rear end fluid

New U-joints

Tint the windows

Tonneau cover for the bed
Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Posting Guru

Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quite a transformation. Thanks for doing the cost breakdown, it really helps. How long did it take you to replace the fuel pumps? And did you drop the tanks or pull the bed? I plan to paint mine black with the same wheels as those when I get some cash together. Again, great job and keep us posted!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99 View Post
Quite a transformation. Thanks for doing the cost breakdown, it really helps. How long did it take you to replace the fuel pumps? And did you drop the tanks or pull the bed? I plan to paint mine black with the same wheels as those when I get some cash together. Again, great job and keep us posted!
Thank you! I have been following your thread also, great work! I would have liked to have a 4wd beast like yours but I had a hard time finding one and gave in on this 2wd truck.

I only did the front tank pump/sender so far. I used ratchet straps to lower the tank and raise it back up (low on fuel so not heavy), took me about 2 hours. I haven't done the rear tank yet or even remove the spare tire to see if I can do the ratchet straps on it or if I need to pull the bed up.

Got A/C fixed and converted to R-134 today so add $370.00 to the total.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Senior User

Got the emblems and windshield trim back on.

Got the DIY Spray liner done. $60.00 (advance auto)

Got the new stereo in $60.00 (Ebay got stereo and install kit)

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior User

It's been awhile since I updated. I have been driving the truck everyday and enjoying the hell out of it!

New Tonneau cover $200.00 Shipped (anything auto)

New door strikers $18.00 (advance auto)

Tinted the back windows with 20% (still have to do the side windows with 35%) Purchased all the tint stuff from advance auto for $30.00

Some of the new pics are with flash off and flash on (I can't take good pics so I will post them all)

Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Posting Guru

Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks sharp! What color did maaco call that and did they do a good job? It looks great in the pics but I know black lays down like a mirror for imperfections. And where did you get the tail lights?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior User

Thank you! It's just a single stage straight gloss black. Yep you have to do a really good job with your body work if you paint it black (took me about 1 month). Maaco did a good job spraying it, a little orange peel in some spots but not bad. It still looks great. I might wet sand and wheel it out this winter if I get bored, that's not on my priority list since it's a daily driver and not a show truck. I got the taillights on Amazon.com. I barging shop everything, Amazon, Ebay, etc. If I know what I need before I will go to Advance Auto website and order everything and use a coupon code, then pick it up at the store the next day on my way home.

Last edited by emspjay; 07-09-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Elder User

Bootlegger's Deluxe is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks great man! ive done a few of those "60 day transformations" itr makes you feel so proud, dont it?

im curious as to what wheels you used, any info on them?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe View Post
looks great man! ive done a few of those "60 day transformations" itr makes you feel so proud, dont it?

im curious as to what wheels you used, any info on them?
Thank you! Yes I agree it sure does! This is my first car/truck project since I joined the Military over 13 years ago. I went to tech school after High School and was a mechanic/body tech for about 6 years before the Military.

Below is the link for the wheels, Discount tire direct. Got wheels/tires for $830 shipped to my door. Went with standard wheel size and standard size/load capacity tires for the truck. Wanted to make sure I have the correct load capacity for the truck since I tow a boat. Being safe loaded and towing is more important than looks.

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Senior User

So over the weekend I did new front rotors, pads, and brake lines. And it still had the original spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor so I did all those also. So ad $300 to my total cost.

Since the coil is also original I think I should also replace that, do you guys think I should get the MSD Coil or the Accel Coil?

Truck has been running great and I have been getting 11mpg with the A/C on full blast. I think this is good and I'm happy with that. I drive easy trying not to go above 2000rpm, the only time I'm above 2000rpm is on the highway with the 4:10 rear I'm at 2100-2200rpm at 65mph. Much better than my old 85 F350 CC dually 460/C6 got 6-8mpg
Old 08-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Posting Guru

Do you have pics of the orange peel? I'm about to do a brake job too but I'm having trans problems now