Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 PM
New User

Mtnhermit is starting off with a positive reputation.
What am I seeing

I was changing my front brake pads this weekend and came across a couple of things that just don't look right. Problem is I don't really know what it is I am seeing and what it should look like. I am hoping folks here can give me a hand. My truck is an 06 Ford F350.
In the first pic you can see a hose that is in two pieces where I am pretty sure it should be one. Any idea what this hose is?
The second one seems to be some kind of seal. Is there a piece missing to hold that in place? Is it a big problem?

Click the image to open in full size.

what is this broken hose for?

Click the image to open in full size.

what is this and how big of a problem is it going to be?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Posting Guru

Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
The line is a vacuum line for the ESOF 4x4 hubs.

The second is a dust seal, most all look like that after some time and usually don't hurt anything.

1939 Ford COE custom. "Ford-Tuff"
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
New User

grizz686 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The hose is for the auto locking hub. The seal is a dust seal witch is common to falling out I think there is a updated one out to replace it my 06 has the same seal Hanging out . I don't think it's much of an issue unless you are in a lot of deep water and mud mine has been like that for over 4 years no problems yet
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM
New User

Mtnhermit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. And the sense of relief about the dust seal!! That had me a little concerned. The vacuum line I am sure I can replace now that I know what it is I am looking for.
Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 AM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you still have the factory auto locking hubs, or have they been replaced with full manual hubs? If you have full manual hubs, you can do away with the hose- just cap it under the hood and put a plug in down by the wheel. If you still have the factory hubs, replace the hose with a new one.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
New User

Ski1982 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was going through dust seals pretty frequently. It didn't bother me at first, but started noticing rust build up inside the axle housing. I started spraying mine with Ballistol, routinely, when i change my oil. It has been 2 years since I started doing this and they still look like new.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Posting Guru

golfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant futuregolfmedik has a brilliant future
I believe the ESOF lines are 3/16 inside diameter.....
2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ weighing in at 15k
Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty