Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
292 --- Reviving

I just bought a 64 F350 with the 292. I took the spark plugs out and put marvel mystery oil in them and let it sit. I tried putting a ratchet and breaker bar on the engine and turning it by hand, but it wont budge. Where should I go next? I am afraid to try to start it and that it will break something. Suggestions?

Thanks Guys,

Cory
__________________
Cory Sanderson

1964 F-350 Stake Body
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 PM
46yblock's Avatar
46yblock 46yblock is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 2,686
46yblock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As you suspect, if it cant be turned manually, the starter shouldnt be used.

I have heard and read of accounts where guys did an initial upper cylinder lube, and then went out each day, manually trying to turn over the engine. One way, then the other, gaining a slight amount of movement each day, finally to break it free.

Personally, I think it is most of the time a waste of time. The times I have done it was with engines out of vehicle. The crank had to be turned to get the engine disassembled, and the cylinders were always a mess. Just take the intake and heads off and see what the problem is. Could very well be a broken head(s) which leaked coolant into cylinders, to sit and rust for years. Or if the engine sat exposed without hood or air cleaner, same deal. Or all could be ok. Then it is an opportunity to clean up rocker and chambers, install gaskets, and see what happens.

One home brew for a WD-40 type lube is 50% ATF and 50% Acetone. I've tried it a couple times on various things and still dont have an opinion on effectiveness. One thing for sure, it has to be shaken immediately before use because the concoction separates very quickly.
__________________
Mike Southern Oregon
[
1946 1/2 ton with Y-block, '62 Mercury Meteor S-33, '60 Thunderbird, '64 Falcon Futura, '90 Ranger 4WD, '54 Ford model 600 tractor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM
tomfiii tomfiii is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
tomfiii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you have any rust on plugs? You can try and use a pry bar on flywheel and see if you can get the motor to move in either direction even if a little,and if it moves just move it back and forth.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46yblock View Post
As you suspect, if it cant be turned manually, the starter shouldnt be used.

I have heard and read of accounts where guys did an initial upper cylinder lube, and then went out each day, manually trying to turn over the engine. One way, then the other, gaining a slight amount of movement each day, finally to break it free.

Personally, I think it is most of the time a waste of time. The times I have done it was with engines out of vehicle. The crank had to be turned to get the engine disassembled, and the cylinders were always a mess. Just take the intake and heads off and see what the problem is. Could very well be a broken head(s) which leaked coolant into cylinders, to sit and rust for years. Or if the engine sat exposed without hood or air cleaner, same deal. Or all could be ok. Then it is an opportunity to clean up rocker and chambers, install gaskets, and see what happens.

One home brew for a WD-40 type lube is 50% ATF and 50% Acetone. I've tried it a couple times on various things and still dont have an opinion on effectiveness. One thing for sure, it has to be shaken immediately before use because the concoction separates very quickly.
I am soaking the cylinders now with that "brew" as well as marvel and PB Blaster. I am trying to eliminate taking apart the engine too far.... I don't know too much about the inner workings other than the basics, valves and pistons and crank. It may be a little above my ability. If this doesn't work, Ill have to dig in deeper. Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfiii View Post
Did you have any rust on plugs? You can try and use a pry bar on flywheel and see if you can get the motor to move in either direction even if a little,and if it moves just move it back and forth.
I did have rust on 1 of the plugs, but the other 7 looks like new. Sooo, my guess is that the cylinder with its exhaust valve open is the one that has some rust in it. Where do I pry off of? I tried a breaker bar with an extension on the nut on the flywheel, but it didn't move.
__________________
Cory Sanderson

1964 F-350 Stake Body
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
tomfiii tomfiii is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
tomfiii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use the starter teeth on ring gear,just make sure you have a level bite between teeth and a pry bar.how long has it soaked maybe a week or so.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 PM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
Before I try any prying, I am going to wait a week with it soaking. Maybe it will work its self out. Thanks
__________________
Cory Sanderson

1964 F-350 Stake Body
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 AM
KsCop's Avatar
KsCop KsCop is offline
Step Out of the Vehicle..
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Haysville, KS
Posts: 1,107
KsCop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcc104 View Post
Before I try any prying, I am going to wait a week with it soaking. Maybe it will work its self out. Thanks
Don't leave us hanging...

And the status is?
__________________
1985 F150 4x4 4.9 I6, 4 speed w/granny
1963 F100 4x4 292 Y-Block, 4 speed w/granny
2005 Chevy Uplander
(The OttoMobile - Only vehicle the Great Dane fits in)
2005 Pacifica (Wife's Ride)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsCop View Post
Don't leave us hanging...

And the status is?
KsCop, I have been updating my other thread and forgot about this one. I have since got the engine turning over, I let it soak for 3 days and hit the key and the engine started turning over, but it was popping out the carb. I decided to take it apart. I found out that one of the valves were stuck and subsequently bent a push rod, so I took them out, had the heads cleaned up and started lapping and putting the valves back in last night, hope to get the other head done tonight... and hope to have her running tomorrow.
__________________
Cory Sanderson

1964 F-350 Stake Body
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 AM
46yblock's Avatar
46yblock 46yblock is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 2,686
46yblock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcc104 View Post
KsCop, I have been updating my other thread and forgot about this one. I have since got the engine turning over, I let it soak for 3 days and hit the key and the engine started turning over, but it was popping out the carb. I decided to take it apart. I found out that one of the valves were stuck and subsequently bent a push rod, so I took them out, had the heads cleaned up and started lapping and putting the valves back in last night, hope to get the other head done tonight... and hope to have her running tomorrow.
Be careful with the long head bolts. The bolts on each end of the heads
are slightly longer than the three inner bolts. Mixing them up would be an assembly error with consequences.

Good Job!
__________________
Mike Southern Oregon
[
1946 1/2 ton with Y-block, '62 Mercury Meteor S-33, '60 Thunderbird, '64 Falcon Futura, '90 Ranger 4WD, '54 Ford model 600 tractor
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 AM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46yblock View Post
Be careful with the long head bolts. The bolts on each end of the heads
are slightly longer than the three inner bolts. Mixing them up would be an assembly error with consequences.

Good Job!
Thank you, I will be on the lookout for that.
__________________
Cory Sanderson

1964 F-350 Stake Body
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
ihcc104's Avatar
ihcc104 ihcc104 is offline
Moodus Man
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 87
ihcc104 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CoryDSanderson
Well I got it all out back together on Sunday and it runs just fine now, need to do some carb adjustments as it only runs on choke but it's running.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
292 trans adapter Shortys 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 02-02-2010 12:51 PM
292 torque specs and pattern needed pagliai69 Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) 2 04-07-2008 06:47 PM
firing order on a 292 DIRTYSTEVEN 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 02-26-2008 10:08 AM
292 install padd54 Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) 6 07-07-2004 07:28 AM
292 firing order mjahrens 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 02-07-2001 02:36 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup