starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter issue?

Just did a search...

I just started to develop an issue while starting. Yesterday morning it sounded and cranked over like normal. A split second right before the motor started I heard a sound I've never heard before. Not like a grinding noise (I hope) but something that was not right. Its hard to explain noises with words... The rest of the day it seemed to have gotten worse. The motor still cranks over and starts but does not sound right. Kind of like a crackling noise.

Any ideas? Truck is a 2002 and AFAIK, it's the original starter.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If you could make a recording somehow that might help.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:28 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, how long does it make the noise for? It sounds like you may have a loose connection arcing somewhere just based on the description, but a recording would help out.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Injector cackle? Are you nearing 1/4-tank of fuel?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
It's fairly common for the starters to occadionally loosen up and not engage properly. Slide underneath and give it a shake and see if it's still tight.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive changed the starter 3 times since I owned my 02.

It fell right off driving down the road the first time.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Injector cackle? Are you nearing 1/4-tank of fuel?
Sorry I haven't been able to get a recording yet. Injector cackle... Could you please explain what this is? Might be on to something because it sounds more like it's coming from the motor rather than down below where the starter is located. Even the vibrations from the motor starting is not normal.

Thanks
Rob

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM
rtalich
Senior User
OK. I was able to get a couple motor starts on youtube. Of course I could not get it to sound as bad as it was on Friday. This first one you can hear just before the motor fires. The ratt-tatt-tatt-tatt...

This second one does it too but made a sound I had not heard before... sort of a whine.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds just like my 01 with 235k on it. I thought it sounded pretty good, hahaha. Then again, maybe my wife is right and my hearing REALLY DOES stink from running mowers the last 10 years.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Your microphone isn't picking it up. This is how I picked up a bad noise in my engine one time (crazy-loud injector cackle):

It would only do it in gear and with a very warm engine.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
I just went through this and had the same sound, but mine was a reman. I went through 2 remans before it was right. (2 different issues) Be careful when choosing a starter and ask to see it as some stores, including NAPA are subbing new Chinese starters for their remans and they are really bad. Look for a bead-blasted texture on the flange; if it looks freshly machined, don't accept it. I did a little research on this and good quality replacement starters are an issue for our trucks. I ended up (eventually) getting a "real" rebuilt from NAPA and it has been fine so far. A lifetime warranty is worthless when you are spending your time installing junk. From what I read, the Motorcraft rebuilds from the dealer seem to be pretty good.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
BTW- yes, I believe you need a new starter

Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
also make sure your starter bolts are tight...I read several instances of the bolts coming loose and making that noise.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM
rtalich
Senior User
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I just went through this and had the same sound, but mine was a reman. I went through 2 remans before it was right. (2 different issues) Be careful when choosing a starter and ask to see it as some stores, including NAPA are subbing new Chinese starters for their remans and they are really bad. Look for a bead-blasted texture on the flange; if it looks freshly machined, don't accept it. I did a little research on this and good quality replacement starters are an issue for our trucks. I ended up (eventually) getting a "real" rebuilt from NAPA and it has been fine so far. A lifetime warranty is worthless when you are spending your time installing junk. From what I read, the Motorcraft rebuilds from the dealer seem to be pretty good.
BTW- yes, I believe you need a new starter
also make sure your starter bolts are tight...I read several instances of the bolts coming loose and making that noise.
Originally Posted by Tugly
Your microphone isn't picking it up. This is how I picked up a bad noise in my engine one time (crazy-loud injector cackle):

7.3L Injector Noise - YouTube

It would only do it in gear and with a very warm engine.
Thank you guys!! I will replace the starter and report back.

FWIW, here is another pick video taken under the truck looking at the starter. I'm embarrassed of how dirty it is.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 AM
rtalich
Senior User
Well, I replaced the starter with a brand new Denso unit. Wow... that thing rocks! Too early to tell if the issue is fixed though. This unit sounds different, turns the motor way faster so I'm not sure if the sound is being masked somehow.

anyway, I'll try to keep y'all posted.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: starter issue?