Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General NON-Automotive Conversation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 AM
Posting Guru

r***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to behold
Any Computer Savvy Folks Present?

Looking for some advice how to run AE on my Linux OS computer.

I bought the Auto Enginuity PC ScanTool Total Ford Bundle. On the box it says 'for Windows-based computer'.

My computer is a Linux OS. I understand that the AE won't work on Linux. I hear that all I need to do is download Windows onto my computer without removing Linux.

Is this possible?

I don't want to buy another computer if I don't have to.

Has anyone here installed Windows onto their Linux OS computer?

What do I need to do?

Thanks,
4x4 CCLB SRW__4"TurboBack/5"Tip__AM Boost,Pyro,Trans,Fuel__AFE2__TS6__MagHytec Front&Rear__Bilsteins__CCV Mod+Catchcan__RR Boots&Inserts__DS 203*&Housing__Sinister Filter Kit__Delo ELC__DeFoiled__285/75/16 ToyoOC A/T2's__JW Trans__26-row Cooler__IH Uppipes Coated
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I'll forward this to a fellow mod who is pretty darn good with 'puters.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Post Fiend

jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.
What you're looking for is called WINE. It allows you to install a Windows virtual machine on your Linux system. The other option, which may be a little trickier depending on how your computer is currently setup is to setup a dual-boot system so that at power-on you can choose whether to boot into Windows or Linux. Either way, you'll need a copy of Windows (I think you do with WINE--never used it, just read about it when I set up a Linux box here at home).

Jason

Probably the greatest harm done by vast wealth is the harm that we of moderate means do ourselves when we let the vices of envy and hatred enter deep into our own natures.
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Posting Guru

r***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to beholdr***r is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Stewart
Appreciate it, Stewart. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroehl View Post
What you're looking for is called WINE. It allows you to install a Windows virtual machine on your Linux system. The other option, which may be a little trickier depending on how your computer is currently setup is to setup a dual-boot system so that at power-on you can choose whether to boot into Windows or Linux. Either way, you'll need a copy of Windows (I think you do with WINE--never used it, just read about it when I set up a Linux box here at home).

Jason
Okay. Wine or a Dual-Boot set-up. A couple things I shall research. Thank you very much Jason.
4x4 CCLB SRW__4"TurboBack/5"Tip__AM Boost,Pyro,Trans,Fuel__AFE2__TS6__MagHytec Front&Rear__Bilsteins__CCV Mod+Catchcan__RR Boots&Inserts__DS 203*&Housing__Sinister Filter Kit__Delo ELC__DeFoiled__285/75/16 ToyoOC A/T2's__JW Trans__26-row Cooler__IH Uppipes Coated
Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Stewart
Thanks, Stewart.

To the OP,

If you have a Windows® CD, another thing you can do is install a "virtual machine" (vm) of it, then "play" it as necessary. I do this when I need to run 'doze for resume purposes, for example.

I run CentOS/RHEL at work and Ubuntu at home, and I flip-flop between VirtualBox by Sun Microsystems (now owned by Oracle) and VMPlayer® software by VMWare®.

IMHO VirtualBox is easier as it lets you create a vm right there, whereas I think VMWare wants you to build the vm using one of their licensed products (e.g. Workstation™) which can then be played on their free player software. I haven't built a vm in a few years now and forget the details so you might verify that, first; also, I believe you can download a free, temporary-use license for their Workstation product but you'd need to look and see what their current policies are.

Oracle VM VirtualBox
VMware Player Plus: Easiest Way to Run a Virtual Machine | United States

I haven't done Wine in what seems like decades (might literally well be) - not since I discovered virtual machines.

Setting up a dual-boot installation is more work than is necessary IMHO especially when Linux is already installed; Microsoft doesn't play well with others and likes to think they have exclusive ownership of your hardware and it'll blow away your Linux installation if you're not careful (and, at a minimum, will replace the boot loader on your MBR). VMs are easy, they're one huge file for the VMs and a handful of supporting config files.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Posting Guru

ctubutis,

The computer lingo in your post is way beyond my knowledge. I know just enough to operate a computer.

Looks like I have some homework to do.

I thank you for sharing in-depth info of what I can do to add Windows to my computer.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Posting Guru

Thread Update

Well, given the information that you folks have shared with me in this thread, I have chosen to purchase a new computer. This is much easier for me since computers are not my niche.

It is a new Toshiba Satellite C55-B i5 8GB 750GB with windows 7.

This will be more than sufficient for my needs.

So THANK YOU to whom have chimed in and helped guide me in my direction.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 PM