Sponsored by:

Tired of crappy ride/steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM
jknowles4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of crappy ride/steering

I have a 2001 Excursion 4x4 with about a 6" lift and 35" tires. My wife mainly drives the truck as I am in my work truck most of the time (2006 1 ton Chevy). When we go somewhere as a family the ex is the vehicle we take. When I first got it I didn't notice the ride and handling was as bad as it seems now. That was probably because at that time I drove it more.

All the front end parts are fairly new and all seem to be in good condition. I have been reading about the V/B spring swap but don't want to spend the money on something that doesn't make much of a difference.

I was hoping there would be someone around the Oklahoma City area who has performed this swap that would let me ride in their EX to see the difference. If there is a person out there who wouldn't mind meeting up and letting me feel the difference it would be greatly appreciated. If not, someone talk me into spending the money on this beast. It would be nice if there was a place to buy all the parts needed and not have to piece everything together. Thanks!!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM
59CRL
Senior User
The spring swap makes a big difference on the ride, my truck is actually very stiff now, going over speed bumps you have to slow down..... feels like the shocks are frozen, lol..... oh well I bought the truck that way..... better than a very soft ride I guess..... it depends if you want a stiff ride then swap the springs..... good luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 AM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Originally Posted by jknowles4
I have a 2001 Excursion 4x4 with about a 6" lift and 35" tires. My wife mainly drives the truck as I am in my work truck most of the time (2006 1 ton Chevy). When we go somewhere as a family the ex is the vehicle we take. When I first got it I didn't notice the ride and handling was as bad as it seems now. That was probably because at that time I drove it more.

All the front end parts are fairly new and all seem to be in good condition. I have been reading about the V/B spring swap but don't want to spend the money on something that doesn't make much of a difference.

I was hoping there would be someone around the Oklahoma City area who has performed this swap that would let me ride in their EX to see the difference. If there is a person out there who wouldn't mind meeting up and letting me feel the difference it would be greatly appreciated. If not, someone talk me into spending the money on this beast. It would be nice if there was a place to buy all the parts needed and not have to piece everything together. Thanks!!
Define crappy ride? To each their own on that. To me a super soft spongy ride is a horrible ride. Maybe your is too stiff but you don't really clarify this.

If you are complaining of too stiff a ride then most likely you have some other issues not spring related causing your steering problems. If the ride feels like mush then those springs could be a major factor in the steering issue.

I can't stress this enough to you. Tires also make a huge impact on handling. All it can take is one bad tire or one out of whack in some form and it can distort the steering.

how wide are your tires? Back spacing? Are they too fat for the rims they are on? There are a ton of possibilities here. Watch your steering joints with someone else slowly steering the truck back and forth. (While idling for god sakes so you dont get run over) Is there play in the tie rod ends before they start pull/push the knuckle? Your lift have a drop pitman arm? Some lifts don't always come with the exact proper equipment. Some companies sell only the bare essential lift to get you on the road. HOw is the condition of it the arm? Remember to watch that when checking your steering joints. check at the spline of the steering box where the pitman arm is attached as well as where the pitman grabs the drag link. I have seen pitman arms go bad on the spline area. Luckily the steering output spline shaft is harder than the pitman arm so you should only require a new pitman arm if there is play at the spot. How are your u-joints? A bad u-joint(s) can keep the steering from being silk 100 percent left and right. Sway bar bushings and the links? Condition? Condition of steering stabilizer/ Again some mfg's don't give a new one and yours could be worn out and with those bigger more leveraged tires could impact things.

How old is this lift? Did anyone ever re check the tourque of the bolts after the install?

I could go on and on here!!!!!! A little more specific info would help narrow some things down.

Good luck

Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CRUMMY ride?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
kuneefay
Freshman User
If your having problems steering a redhead steering gear, bilstein 5100 stabilizer, and a power steering pump would set you back a total of around $500 once the shipping was done and you returned your steering gear core. Also could be as simple as bad steering fluid, people tend to not understand that power steering oil needs to be flushed and replaced just like all the other oil does. I would suggest a good synthetic to use. I did the redhead steering gear, bilstein stabilizer, with redline steering fluid and it was unreal the difference in the smoothness and eas of steering. As far as ride goes Xcursion88 hit it on the head with more details and tires tires tires. I've been enjoying my yokohama geolander tires, super cushy, good in water and gravel, no road noise(running 35s) and good wear life at a reasonable price.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM
jknowles4
New User
Ok, to clarify crappy ride, this thing will rattle your teeth out. Not sure on the lift manufacturer, I bought the truck lifted. It looks like it has some no name aftermarket shocks. It would be nice to get it to ride smoother.

The tires are open country 35x12.50x18.

I crawled under the truck yesterday and watched the steering components as my son turned the wheel back and forth. Everything was nice and tight! Since I was under there I decided to remove the 2 steering dampners and see how it drove after that. It was a lot better! It didn't take as much force to turn the wheels. I believe if I put a new steering box on this thing I may have the steering problem solved.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Great news. You are making some headway. Let me suggest before go and replace that expensive steering box that you check those front u-joints. Unfortunately the only way to REALLY check those is pulling the left and right axles. This is not a hard job however let's say these are the original u-joints. ...they could be a ******* to get out of the axle shafts. Shop press,vise, fire wrench could all be needed. Big sockets to allow push thru etc. You could take the axles out and take those shafts to a garage abd ask them to do new u joints. That would save a ton of labor as the garage doesn't have to reach the point you are at. and you won't have to fight with the u joints. Again if you have a bad u joint it could keep your steering less than stellar. Much cheaper than a new steering box. Worth a look. Also the steerring box has an adjustment screw on it but we can get into that later.

As far as your ride. #1 you are familiar with a general motors as your work truck. It is well known GM strives to be the best riding truck regardless half or one ton.
#2 those shocks at the bottom of the tube should have some numbers or letters stamped into them.

Psi of your tires? Amazing what ten pounds of air can do to a ride.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM
jknowles4
New User
Both u joints are new as I have replaced both front hubs on this truck. When I did that I replaced the joints. I know my work truck will and does ride better but I also have a dodge 1ton (similar front axle to the EX) so I know what these should ride like. I thought that the EX, being a family based vehicle would ride a little smoother. I usually keep my tires aired to about 5-10pds under the max pressure. I will try letting some air out of the tires and see what that's like. I will also take a look at the shocks and see what they are. Thanks a ton for the help up to now!! Hopefully I can get this thing figured out.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Is that dodge coil sprung 1 ton variety? Coil and leaf are night and day by default in the good ride sense. Find out the shocks which potentially could lend abd idea on the lift kit. Providing they used that lift mfg shocks. Cheaper lift companies have been known to use ridiculously stiff spring packs by using some springs with a gigantic arch. Big arch will equate to tooth loosening ride. Keep us posted

Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM
jknowles4
New User
Found out this morning that I believe the lift is a pro-comp. At least the shocks are. The numbers on the shocks are explorer shocks 92650. Would bilsteins help with the ride or is it the lift/leaf springs?

I have adjusted the steering box a few times and that's why I think it is shot. The steering will not self center after a turn (it wouldn't when I bought the truck either). If I buy a new box should I go redhead or just a local reman. unit? I have a redhead on the dodge and it works very well but would I get the same thing out of a reman. box.

I also, let 10psi out of the tires this a.m. so I will post back and let you know if that made any changes. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have adjusted the steering box a few times and that's why I think it is shot. The steering will not self center after a turn (it wouldn't when I bought the truck either).
Have your front end alignment checked. A good mech can setup caster or camber at the min or max side to help improve the handling, the cheap places just get them within the acceptable ranges.

The typical indicator of a worn steering box is lots of wander, like piloting a boat. Adjusting it too far can result in it binding, and not returning to center.

Tires with uneven wear also make things worse, try rotating them.

I run tires pressures 60/60 and hiway is great, 20 mph on my brick streets is very rough, when empty. 4 people and luggage is much better. I see most pickup's rear wheels leave the surface 'cause of the rough brick surface and tire pressures. Soft tired cars just glide on the bricks.

And some tires tend to make these problems worse than others.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
kuneefay
Freshman User
Found out this morning that I believe the lift is a pro-comp. At least the shocks are. The numbers on the shocks are explorer shocks 92650. Would bilsteins help with the ride or is it the lift/leaf springs?

I have adjusted the steering box a few times and that's why I think it is shot. The steering will not self center after a turn (it wouldn't when I bought the truck either). If I buy a new box should I go redhead or just a local reman. unit? I have a redhead on the dodge and it works very well but would I get the same thing out of a reman. box.

I also, let 10psi out of the tires this a.m. so I will post back and let you know if that made any changes. Thanks!!
With my experiance with redhead they seem to use much better bearings seals and everything else plus theyre coated and it obviously translates to steering feel and response. If you plan on keeping the ex for the long haul I would suggest the redhead but if its time has a number on it id just throw a regular remaned on. If you have a redhead already im sure you noticed the difference from the stock one. Seems like you pretty much have the issue nipped. As far as bilstein shocks go, I wouldnt buy anything other than them or ohlins. But as ohlins are tons of $$$ and dont make shocks for trucks...bilstein, bilstein all the way.