6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Shut off and want stay running after restart.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Shut off and want stay running after restart.

Help. I'm panicking. My 04 6.0 shut off on me this morning leaving the house for work. The truck has just over 50K on it and has never had any problems before. I pulled out of the driveway up hill pretty hard. I was running about 2500 in 3rd gear when it just turned off. Have a CEL on. The truck will re fire easily but die with throttle input or after 10 seconds. I was lucky to be able to coast back down the road into the driveway. I have changed the fuel filter twice since purchasing the truck.. Could it be something that simple that I sucked the filter shut. The only mods are an original TS Instigator box, Cold air intake, Straight pipe, the EGR valve has been unplugged since 5000 miles as instructed to do by TS products when i bought the box. I put less than 5000k o the truck a year.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
If you have a CEL then you most definitely have codes that you need to scan for. I wouldn't even venture a guess at this point because there are just too many possibilities.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
do you have scan gauge ll or something equivalent to see what's going on with the truck?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
I dont have have a scanner but my buddies shop has a pro Snap on one.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
once you get it hooked up you'll need readings for ICP pressure and ICP volt, IPR and ebpfor starters. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in and help you out a little better.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
...and with this: TS Instigator box, Cold air intake, you are only asking for problems. The CAI will destroy your turbo over time and the uncontrolled Instigstor will prob destroy the tranny.....

Guess the guys above didn't notice this in your first post.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
No worried about the tranny. It's a 6 speed.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
just to say you did it I would unplug the ICP sensor and see if it starts, it also wouldn't hurt to wiggle the main harness while someone is cranking the engine to see if it starts.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
So we did some investigating this weekend. I had a buddy hook up his shops professional Snap on computer. All sensors were within spec except the pressure reading from the ICP sensor. I have a rather large oil leak coming from the front of the engine somewhere. I also did a Low pressure oil pump test by pulling the oil filter and depressing the check valve at the bottom of the housing while cranking the engine. The housing made no attempt to fill then after 20 seconds the housing filled rapidly.

So my thoughts are that the Low pressure pump failed or the seal/front cover of the pump. This is not allowing any low pressure to build to supply the HPOP with enough oil to fire the injectors. I called a local shop specializing in Ford diesel SPE Diesel and was told that the sick trucks put allot of vibration and force on the bottom end of the engine and one bad shift at high rpm could damage the pump, even at low mileage.

Has anyone Done a LPOP? What is involved? The price of parts doesn't seam to be that high.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Before you do the pump, make sure to pull the relief assembly from the pump. It's a 12mm Allen listed behind the crank pulley.

That's the most common lpop failure is a stuck relief

Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
If you're getting oil in the oil filter housing the lpop is workin. If you do have a leak it's somewhere between the hpop and D-plugs.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
You can pull plug off of your ICP sensor and see if the truck cranks. Also what reading are you getting from your IPR ?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
For the record, where is your ICP located - an early 04 (if that is what it is) does not have dummy plugs.

I agree w/ Coronado - check the regulator, you should not have the delay in filling the oil filter housing. Also, the cause of the oil leak really does need to be identified before tearing into the LPOP - when you say large leak, exactly how much oil are you losing?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
My ICP is on the pass valve cover near the front. Overnight there was about and 18" diameter circle under the pass front quarter of the engine bay. The track bar and drag link are soaked as well. I'm NOT getting any oil into the filter housing. in the first 20 seconds of crank. The filter should fill immediately.

How do i check the pressure relief valve.

We pulled the plug off the ICP sensor, crank but no start. I don't remember what it IPR reading was but non of the readings were out of spec except the ICP pressure reading. It would not go over 50 PSI. From what i was told you need a minimum of 300 psi for the truck to fire.

What are dummy plugs?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Indslpwr04
My ICP is on the pass valve cover near the front. Overnight there was about and 18" diameter circle under the pass front quarter of the engine bay. The track bar and drag link are soaked as well. I'm NOT getting any oil into the filter housing. in the first 20 seconds of crank. The filter should fill immediately.

How do i check the pressure relief valve.

We pulled the plug off the ICP sensor, crank but no start. I don't remember what it IPR reading was but non of the readings were out of spec except the ICP pressure reading. It would not go over 50 PSI. From what i was told you need a minimum of 300 psi for the truck to fire.

What are dummy plugs?
Pressure relief valve is on the front cover just behind the crank pulley. It's a large allen plug. The truck needs 500 psi minimum for the truck to fire.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Shut off and want stay running after restart.