Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a new Mercedes convertible this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a new Mercedes convertible this weekend...

Black on black, top down, dual climate controls, rain-sensing wipers... Every option you can get I suppose. Wife and I took it out to dinner by the ocean...

And yet I drew a long deep breath followed by a sigh of familiarity climbing back into my 1995 F150 4x4. Just about as far removed from that Benz as you're gonna get.

Not sure if it's the redneck in me or what but aside from the resale value, give me my old, antiquated, honest-to-God truck any day.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Black on black, top down, dual climate controls, rain-sensing wipers... Every option you can get I suppose. Wife and I took it out to dinner by the ocean...

And yet I drew a long deep breath followed by a sigh of familiarity climbing back into my 1995 F150 4x4. Just about as far removed from that Benz as you're gonna get.

Not sure if it's the redneck in me or what but aside from the resale value, give me my old, antiquated, honest-to-God truck any day.
Couldn't agree more. Whenever I hear one of them radio ads "Enter to win a new 2015 Toyota PieceOfCrap Sport Edition!" I'll say to whoever is around me that I want to win it and everyone knows I'm a Ford guy so they ask why do I want a Toyota, and I reply "So I can sell it and buy more old Fords!"

Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... $60,000+ Mercedes, top down, parked at the cliffs on the ocean after a fine Italian meal with my lovely wife (who also loves my truck).

What's not to love? Yet I just felt like everything about it was fake. Pretentious.

Maybe if I took it auto-crossing or did a huge, smokey burnout it would've been better but since I love my wife's family, I babied it.

Kip Moore says it best: "Somethin' 'bout a truck"

Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if I had a million dollars, I wouldn't buy a ton of sports cars or a giant house like most. I'd probably buy another truck for a mud toy and repaint The Red Baron.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Like Joe Diffie Said "you can take my truck light on fire and roll it down a hill and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille. A good friend of mine has a nice Mercedes I laugh at him when he looks at my truck and says why did you buy that old a$$ truck and I turn and look at him when we go some where and he has to try and find a parking spot so nobody door dings or scratches his car I look at him and say if we took my truck we could park where we want (Appropriate spacing provided for a crew).
You hit the nail on the HEAD when you said Pretentious. These old trucks have character and that can not be beat.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Maybe if I took it auto-crossing or did a huge, smokey burnout it would've been better but since I love my wife's family, I babied it.
Nah, my old 460 F-250 could do a huge smokey burnout and I'd rather have that then a Mercedes. She could also go places that car couldn't take me, even though she was only 2wd. And you could actually DRIVE it, without some "safety" feature (more like anti-idiot feature) interfering and ruining your fun.

Nope, it's all about character like Crewcabber said. And them country songs ain't lying when they talk about trucks the way they do... there IS something bout em and that's why I love my old Fords.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Just out of curiosity does anybody know what you get when you play a country song backwards??

Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Phil Woolfson
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I got super rich, the first thing I'd do is have my truck restored to mint condition, and then drive it the next 25 years.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 AM
cman1120
Senior User
X10000000 If I was given a brand new Mercedes I'd sell it and throw the $$$ at my trucks and restore/built them exactly how I want.

Aa mentioned by others earlier in the thread there truly is something bout a truck. A Ford OBS even moreso ;-) one wasn't enough for me so I had to go out and buy another one to add to my fleet just cause I love these trucks so much. Old But Sexy :jammin

Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
Just out of curiosity does anybody know what you get when you play a country song backwards??

yoUr wife and dog come back??

Old 06-05-2014, 05:27 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
Originally Posted by cjben
yoUr wife and dog come back??
Well, according to Rascal Flatts...

You get your house back
You get your dog back
You get your best friend Jack back
You get your truck back
You get your hair back
Ya get your first and second wives back
Your front porch swing
Your pretty little thing
Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring
Your get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley
First night in jail with Charlie
It sounds a little crazy, a little scattered and absurd
But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards
Well I never heard it said quite like that
It hit me in the face cause that's where I'm at
I almost fell flat out on the floor
He said wait a minute that's not all there's even more

You get your mind back
You get your nerves back
Your first heart attack back
You get your pride back
You get your life back
You get your first real love back
You get your big screen TV, a DVD and a washing machine
You get the pond and the lawn
And the bail and the mower
You go back where you don't know her
It sounds a little crazy a little scattered and absurd
But that's what you get
When you play a country song backwards

As for me... I just wish my German Shepherd would come back. Last seen with ex-wife #2.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess this is a sorta-related experience...

I absolutely LOVE my truck. I'm sure there's trucks out there that are nicer, but I'm not (nor will I ever be) willing to pay the $600+ per month payment to have one.

Still, sometimes I look at ol' Clifford, with his rust and wear showing, and think it'd be nice, and a lot easier, to just buy a newer truck.

Three times last week, people stopped me to tell me how nice my truck was. One of those times, it was the tech who did my state inspection, a guy who works on new $60k trucks all day.

I guess I don't view my truck the same way others do. I see rust, a primered roof from when I removed the visor, and serious need of a paint job (which will be done this fall).

I don't base what I drive on others' opinions of it, but it's nice to hear compliments sometimes.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
I absolutely LOVE my truck. I'm sure there's trucks out there that are nicer, but I'm not (nor will I ever be) willing to pay the $600+ per month payment to have one.
This ^^^

Just like Tim McGraw's new song says

Runnin round in this new truck
Bank lets me borrow from month to month
I'm runnin out of credit, find a little Cash on the radio

The way I see it, I could owe the bank hundreds EVERY single month and drive something that I can't modify without voiding the warranty, crumples up from something as simple as backing into a trash can, has a computer system that requires the dealership computer to work on, probably ain't available with a manual transmission, and gets NO better gas mileage than my old iron

or...

I can buy a nice older truck, dead nuts reliable and better looking than any new plastic crap (real metal and vent windows!) that's paid for in full. The money I save not making payments, not having mandatory full insurance coverage, and having a lower insurance rate altogether covers the maintenance or even the rare breakdown (which is 99% preventable with good maintenance), and after that I'm STILL money ahead in a good looking truck that was made when trucks were trucks and not fancy luxury cars that happened to ride higher. On the road I get just as good gas mileage as new trucks, if not better. And, I can take it wherever I want, thru mudholes and swamps, and not have to worry about voiding the warranty.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eventually, I'd like to get into an 05+ 6.0. They're dirt cheap compared to other diesels, get better fuel mileage and power, and with a few bulletproof things and common sense, they can last for a long time.

But... that's not for a couple years, and it'll be paid in cash. I figure 8-10k and I can build a nice reliable truck.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how you feel. The redneck in me makes me love my truckmore than other vehicles.

Quick Reply: Drove a new Mercedes convertible this weekend...