Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

June 2014 BS Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
June 2014 BS Thread

I would like to work on my '53 F-100 again someday. It's been six months since I turned a wrench on it. It would be nice to hear it run again.

Someday.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
thanks for the thread Ken, apparently I got all screwy and thought I'd already started one for this month.

On another note; John and I are planning on making the FTE meet up in Millersburg, OH on 6-22-2014. Hopefully we get to go.

I finally got around to purchasing a new 12v air compressor to keep in the truck. Desperately needed it, especially dealing with my trailer.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Another awesome fillup report with Michelle.

223.5 miles on the tank from the last fillup, and it only held 11.28 gallons and the pump shut off. I rounded it on up to the nearest $$ amount, which made it 11.31 gallons and after the math was totaled up, my average mpg was 19.76.

That's roughly 5 consistent tanks with all average mpg's no less than 17.5, up to 19.7

I honestly can't complain at any point about that. And the best part?

She's paid off!!!!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Great job Wes!!! That's an increase of what, 4 or 5 mpgs?!!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Boog2001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camping

Any campers? That's one of the reasons I bought the x.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Well, yes and no. My wife and kids tent camp a lot.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Boog2001
I live at a camp, does that count?

I do most of my camping up in Minnesota. I love it up there. I usually go canoe-camping but last year mixed it up a bit by going snowshoeing. It was a balmy 32 degrees one night. (below zero)

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Great job Wes!!! That's an increase of what, 4 or 5 mpgs?!!
yes. Literally. Before I swapped back to the OEM Intake System, I was getting 15-18 tops.

Now it's hovering around 17-19mpg.

But that also goes along with a slight change in driving style. Little to no idling, and when on large enough hills to gain plenty of momentum, I push the shifter into Neutral and coast anywhere from .2-1.5 miles at a time.

Also, I don't get about 65mph. I know it sounds like i'm just being **** about things, but with gas at $3.79-4.00/gallon and work being iffy, I make every drop count.
I love to camp/hike, etc...My girlfriend is kinda so so on it, but me, I love it.

If I get the stuff to make a standalone shower, etc I wouldn't mind staying out more than a couple days at a time.

For reference, I'm about 2 hours driving East of Lexington, literally where the Mountain Parkway ends, in Salyersville.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Boog2001
Junior User
I'm just now getting into it but maybe a little more glamping than you all. We're on our third year. 1st year was tent only then we got a good deal on a used pop-up. Now that we have the X we're looking for a bigger travel trailer. My kids are young enough we just got off of the training wheels. So, a campground with paved roads and a playground is where we spend most of our time.

When I was looking for the X I also contemplated a E350 camper van but I can't get my wife all the way to backwoods self-sufficient camping. But, she's already realized we could sleep in the back of the X. And then I'd like to stick the kids on top in an RTT. Maybe one day.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I'm just now getting into it but maybe a little more glamping than you all. We're on our third year. 1st year was tent only then we got a good deal on a used pop-up. Now that we have the X we're looking for a bigger travel trailer. My kids are young enough we just got off of the training wheels. So, a campground with paved roads and a playground is where we spend most of our time.

When I was looking for the X I also contemplated a E350 camper van but I can't get my wife all the way to backwoods self-sufficient camping. But, she's already realized we could sleep in the back of the X. And then I'd like to stick the kids on top in an RTT. Maybe one day.
Hey I'm just glad more people are getting away from the city life for a bit.

I'd LOVE a camper to pull behind my truck, both for recreation and work purposes, when I get called out on 55+ hour weekend shifts.

Comfy bed, a kitchen and a hot shower are VERY welcomed in my personal opinion.

"Glamping" is only made fun of my me, when the people do it just to show off their new camper and wallet size. Otherwise, no issues from me.

I'd LOVE to get a "Camp Meet" together at some point. To have a meet, in which we go somewhere, look around and cook out, etc over the course of a weekend.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Boog2001
Junior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I'd LOVE to get a "Camp Meet" together at some point. To have a meet, in which we go somewhere, look around and cook out, etc over the course of a weekend.
That's kinda what I was thinking when I asked the question. My dad would be in the mix to. He's got an F-350 7.3L. He's researched on here but never joined up. So, there'd be a couple for the meet already!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

That's kinda what I was thinking when I asked the question. My dad would be in the mix to. He's got an F-350 7.3L. He's researched on here but never joined up. So, there'd be a couple for the meet already!
The biggest issues is time/location.

As long as it's done before September, I'm pretty much free any time. My work kinda comes/goes.

When the work goes, so does extra fuel funds; But on the other hand, a couple good weeks and I'm good to go pretty well anywhere.

There's all sorts of state parks that'd be a hoot to meet up at. There's:
  • Cave Run Lake in Rown County (50-ish miles)
  • Paintsville Lake in Johnson County (25ish miles)
  • Dewey Lake in Floyd County (25ish miles)
  • Natural Bridge State Park (50ish miles)

And that's just a start....Well, on things East of Lexington. Never camped anywhere further than that.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Boog, I took the liberty of adding you to the KY members map, with your proximate location being Paducah, KY (I do not add a home address for privacy)

Here's the map, so you can get a feel for where everyone is.

Bear in mind, that because they do not post here in the KY chapter, that they're not inactive (For whatever reason, they simply choose to stay on the tech forums).

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...e3c8678c&msa=0

Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
I recently joined up here. I live in Taylor Mill,KY.. Your camping chatter got me.. I do camping trips with my Jeep buddies a few times a year. I always have my F350 there rarely my broke down Jeep.
Cave Run is an excellent place to get together. The way they are set up an unofficial group can take over a culdesac area.
I like KOA camp grounds mainly because I am a member. They offer a couple of free nights a year also.
State Parks are usually very nice. I'm not into roughing it so much unless it is just a couple of days. Me and the dog don't do long walks anymore and prefer some creature comforts.
I usually just sleep in the back of the truck.

I'll be blasting off to Colorado next month for the Jeep meet there but will be looking for a closer to home camp out in the fall. I don't much like summer heat camping either. I'm a softie like that although we do a winter campout almost every year with the Jeep guys. Some of those have been brutal.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:03 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Well heck! You and I are practically neighbors! I live in Camp Springs!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: June 2014 BS Thread