1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Power Brake Problem, 2013 E350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Brake Problem, 2013 E350?

2013 E350, 17k miles, 4 sp auto with od, 5.4 v8...

Lately when driving, I noticed a lack of pressure on the brake pedal when stopping. It will stop however, if I pump the pedal once and then apply the brakes a second time, the pedal resistance feels better and the braking force is greatly improved. Next time same thing low pressure, pump better pressure and high stopping force. Same situation, stopping seconds or minutes apart. It seems like each time I apply the brakes the power pressure is down until I pump the pedal. This driving around town and highway.
This the first van I owned, is this common, or should I have the local dealership check it out?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldguard60
2013 E350, 17k miles, 4 sp auto with od, 5.4 v8...

Lately when driving, I noticed a lack of pressure on the brake pedal when stopping. It will stop however, if I pump the pedal once and then apply the brakes a second time, the pedal resistance feels better and the braking force is greatly improved. Next time same thing low pressure, pump better pressure and high stopping force. Same situation, stopping seconds or minutes apart. It seems like each time I apply the brakes the power pressure is down until I pump the pedal. This driving around town and highway.
This the first van I owned, is this common, or should I have the local dealership check it out?
Since you're concerned, oldguard60, I'd recommend making an appointment so your dealer can take a look. Come back and post when you get a diagnosis; I'll check in on this thread in case you need my assistance.

Crystal

Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
It will be in the next couple of weeks before it will be in the shop. I will post what the Ford dealership does...

Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
It will be in the next couple of weeks before it will be in the shop. I will post what the Ford dealership does...
Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop, oldguard60!

Crystal

Old 06-07-2014, 07:33 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
I found the time to get my 2013 E350 in the local Ford dealership on Friday. My wife drove it and told me the brakes were soft. It was the first time she has driven it in a couple of months.
It should be ready on Monday. We will see if anything is done.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
Received my E350 back from the dealership, Monday 9th june 1400hrs. Was left at Friday 1500 hrs. Wanted the TCAS and brakes checked out.

All they did was "Road test to verify has low brake pedal and Track light comes on Checked for codes All pass road test to verify normal operation.

Needless to say, they found nothing wrong. For a four wheel disk power brakes the pedal should not be soft when first applied.

I have been called " One of those guys " in the past. The last vehicle that the dealership took back was a 2012 Honda.. I am well versed in the documentation required for this type of action.

Would like to hear from the forum about next steps to check out the brakes. Or do I go back to the dealership and request a sit down with the service manger?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One suggestion would be to have the brake fluid flushed and changed in the event there is some air in the lines for some reason. I assume you are keeping your eye on the fluid level and that you are not losing brake fluid.

Even if you pay for a fluid change/flush, it would be worth it if it saves your life or your wife's life even once.

Good luck,
George

Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I would do three things:

-Follow YoGeorge's advice----its scant little money that could potentially solve this issue.

-Definitely request the Service Manager sit-down.

-Let Crystal at FordService here in on what's happened and get her input.

Something like this would concern me greatly too---its not right and most likely the solution is relatively simple. Of course the uphill battle will be determining what that is and even harder is who pays for the fix?

Best of luck in this quest!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
...Would like to hear from the forum about next steps to check out the brakes. Or do I go back to the dealership and request a sit down with the service manger?
It's time to get me involved, oldguard60; I'll see what I can do to help. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start checking out some options.

Crystal

Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
Which Crystal are you for the pm?

Old 06-10-2014, 04:18 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
Crystal
Or better yet you may pm me with your email and I will send you the work order that contains all of the requested info.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Which Crystal are you for the pm?
I'm like the Highlander, oldguard60 - there can be only one. I just sent you a PM; check out your inbox and we'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
I took the forum advice on the brake system flush.
Was at the dealership, early this am. While bleeding the brakes, the technician could not bleed the right front. Seems the bleeder valve was in the wrong spot. The service writer told me that a left front caliber was install on the right front. They replaced the caliber and did not charge me anything since it was built wrong at the factory. The brake pedal does feel better.
I will monitor and see what happens over the next couple of days.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Endeavourniche
Freshman User
I don't know how that's even possible but even so it would still bleed. Unless they mean they couldn't even get to the bleeder valve.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Endeavourniche
Freshman User
If the caliper was installed upside down on yours from the factory that means that there are probably a lot more just like it. It happened until the guy doing it was finally corrected by the quality control inspector that was finally corrected. I imagine at least 2 people lost their jobs.

Quick Reply: Power Brake Problem, 2013 E350?