Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2003, 09:04 PM
New User

sfield is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool legal width limit for towing

I thought I would ask this forum about the state laws regarding the width limit for trailers.

I notice that most states have a limit betwen 8' and 8'6", but I have heard that people with boats, espeacially sailboats often go over this limit. Do this require a special permit? How much of a hassle is this? Does it very a lot by state? Cost?

What are the consequences (legal) of towing a few inches above the limit? Do people do it routinely (like going a few miles and hour over the speed limit)?

Thanks!

Sam
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Posting Guru

Colossus is starting off with a positive reputation.
legal width limit for towing

Yes, you have to get an "Oversize Load" permit from the state patrol. You have to pay - how much depends on the size of the load. Here in Washington, its 8 1/2' max vehicle width, with mirrors - 9' 4
If you want any specific info, visit the SP website.
About people doing it? I have done it, my mirrors were 3 inches wider than legal limit, I didn't get in trouble, but I trimmed them back - figure I didn't want to take off somebody's head.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

8'6" is pretty much a US standard. Here is a link that will take you to each state's towing laws for width, length, etc.

http://www.rvsafety.com/
Old 07-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Posting Guru

flyboy2610 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I can't say how it is everywhere, but in Nebraska vehicle combinations over 6,000 lbs. are required to weigh at weigh stations. (Recreational vehicles exempt.) If you are found to be over 8'6", the fine will be a LOT more than the overwidth permit would have been. Plus they won't let you leave until you buy a permit.
1969 F250 Camper Special
<a href=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/flyboy2610/John/Truck%20pics/Topper%20pics/Sideshot.jpg target=_blank>http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...s/Sideshot.jpg</a>
Old 07-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Freshman User

blakek is starting off with a positive reputation.

used to be a trucker 8'6" is national limit on width.here in mich i see 10 wide boats behind pickups but to be sure of the requirments check with your state police. some states have an escote requirment for vehicles over 10 to 12 wide
Old 07-09-2003, 08:52 AM