1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

no start after dash "mod"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 PM
triskadek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start after dash "mod"

Ignition actuator broke, ripped open the dash down to the actuated acc/off/on/start switch and was able to start truck just fine by sliding the switch manually. Poked around a little while I was there and now it cranks but doesn't start.

Before I dive into the usual under the hood suspects...does anyone have any likely under the dash suspects?

I've got a list of things I remember outright manipulating:

I guess it all started when I went to start it a few days ago and the ignition actuator broke. Not yet knowing it was that, I removed the tumbler, and some little wire that clips on to the tumbler. I'm thinking I read in a manual it is a key sensor.

I also discovered some anodized torx screws I could only barely see holding on a clamp of some kind involving the shift selector. I think they are the same types of screws holding in the ignition switch. I tightened the selector clamp ones up, happy with the loss of play in the selector that had been there since I bought the truck, the PO even claiming his wife was making him sell because of it. I couldn't really see anything back there at that point, so getting the screwdriver in I could have hit something. I was careful and don't recall feeling anything move around besides my clamp and screws. Who knows ?

Anyways prior to tightening up that clamp, the truck started up fine. I slapped the cover back on to the underside of the steering column, and wedged something into the broken actuator to hopefully prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging unexpectedly.

I never had door bell chimes or a key buzzer working. There is an aftermarket brake controller I had to tuck under the dash, it was screwed in to the dash section I removed. There is a black box under the dash with its obvious connector unplugged. I believe this to be the door chimer, though I don't know if it has other functions.

I never had to keep my foot on the brake to start it, but I had always had trouble finding "park" and often went for neutral instead. However, those safety locks always prevent it from even turning over, which is not what I'm experiencing. I did try starting while stepping on the brake in case we have that sort of thing and maybe I jostled something into being unhappy.

That funny black wire with a clip that went in between the tumbler and its receiver, I don't think I had it well connected on my last starting attempt. Waiting for the battery to charge before I try again.

I never had any indications there is an burglar alarm, the keys are all no chip.

It is just too suspicious it isn't starting now following my poking around in there.

Any things that come to mind from that neck of the woods?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The brake pedal is not tied to the starter circuit.

Basics - have you checked ALL fuses in BOTH fuse boxes? Does the WTS light come on? Does the tach move when you crank it?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM
triskadek
Senior User
So it starts right up now...the only change being the black wire with the clip reattached to the wall of the tumbler receiver.

I'll have to disconnect it and test again I guess. Any ideas what it is?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, that wire sounds like the wire for the left-your-key-in chime. Shouldn't affect cranking or starting.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
triskadek
Senior User
My buddy is saying its a signal ground, that everything ignition relies on it...