6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DRW tire filling

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Holy smokes - the price tag for my truck and 4 wheels on the trailer is over $800

I suppose that could be eaten up pretty quickly by insurance deductibles and hospital bills - but just a bit of sticker shock..

Thanks for posting!
yes, I paid $712 for the 14 sensors (6 drw, 4 fw, 4 car hauler) and two monitors.

I have a 4 sensor Tire Tracker
TireTraker Tire Pressure Monitor

but 1. needs to move to wake up the sensors, last time I was 15 miles away from home when the tire blew, and the sensor had not yet woken up. it did alarm when I started the truck after replacing the failed tire on the trailer.
2. can't turn off trailer tires. so when I am not using my trailer, I have to turn off the monitor.. had a nail in the inner of the dually,, didn't notice for a week.. bad..
3. can't leave the monitor plugged into power.. some battery problem.
so more times than not, its dead when I need it.
$219 +210 (dually sensors) for something totally not usable.

I have a miserable time with tires on my car hauler..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Old 06-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info and links Sam.. I will be looking into these!

I just wish there was a way to make the factory system work with DRWs...

Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Big-Foot

I just wish there was a way to make the factory system work with DRWs...
I think the factory system is 4 wheels only.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I've never had a DRW (personally, work truck, yes) so I haven't commented, but this is what I was thinking. As often as tire pressure should be checked/adjusted, why not install something that will make it so much easier and is a permanent solution?
The reason I didn't, is because for every person that says they work great, you get another that says they tried 4 different systems and they all leaked.

To me that says, it will not leak for others, but will for me. So I decided to not bother trying. Lucky for me, I don't have to air up and down, just check on them. I take my air chuck with me, in case something unexpected crops up. But most likely if I am down significantly, it's because of a major problem, nothing I should air up and drive on.

Tire Minder is another system for monitoring tires. I use it on my trailer tires, but not on the truck, yet.
Amazon.com: Minder Research TMG400C6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 Transmitter: Automotive Amazon.com: Minder Research TMG400C6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 Transmitter: Automotive

Old 06-12-2014, 03:03 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone
The reason I didn't, is because for every person that says they work great, you get another that says they tried 4 different systems and they all leaked.

To me that says, it will not leak for others, but will for me. So I decided to not bother trying. Lucky for me, I don't have to air up and down, just check on them. I take my air chuck with me, in case something unexpected crops up. But most likely if I am down significantly, it's because of a major problem, nothing I should air up and drive on.

Tire Minder is another system for monitoring tires. I use it on my trailer tires, but not on the truck, yet.
This is my fear...I'm **** about tire pressure. I hear you on leaks. I think I'd just have semi air nozzles installed a semi shop. It would cost me a bundle, but I wouldn't deal with leaks or scraped knuckles all the time.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

... Tire Minder is another system for monitoring tires. I use it on my trailer tires, but not on the truck, yet. Amazon.com: Minder Research TMG400C6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 Transmitter: Automotive
tire minder and tracker are the same product, with different labels.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

This is my fear...I'm **** about tire pressure. I hear you on leaks. I think I'd just have semi air nozzles installed a semi shop. It would cost me a bundle, but I wouldn't deal with leaks or scraped knuckles all the time.
I have a dickens of a time getting my air chuck and gauge on the inner tire valve stem.. I have tried 3 different brands, all behave about the same. maybe 1 time in 15 will they work. can't wait for the extensions!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Andre,If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at this thread I had regarding getting in to check and fill DRW's. If you go through the entire thread, you will see, at least for me, I finally worked out a guage and an air chuck that work without having to get my hands in between tires or through the small holes.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rw-owners.html

Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Originally Posted by sdetweil
tire minder and tracker are the same product, with different labels.
They do look the same, but based on what you posted eariler:
Originally Posted by sdetweil
but 1. needs to move to wake up the sensors, last time I was 15 miles away from home when the tire blew, and the sensor had not yet woken up. it did alarm when I started the truck after replacing the failed tire on the trailer.
My sensors are on all the time. I haven't moved the trailer for a couple of weeks. I can turn on the monitor and all the numbers are there. I have seen the air pressure go up during the day as the sun warms up the tires while camping. It's odd that we have different experiences.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

They do look the same, but based on what you posted eariler: My sensors are on all the time. I haven't moved the trailer for a couple of weeks. I can turn on the monitor and all the numbers are there. I have seen the air pressure go up during the day as the sun warms up the tires while camping. It's odd that we have different experiences.
yeh.. and I asked them both and they says the sensors turn off after a while, and need to be moved to turn back on. my car trailer sits for months at a time. I bought new batteries, nothing.. about 40 miles driving and all 4 are alive finally.. good for a couple days.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Andre,If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at this thread I had regarding getting in to check and fill DRW's. If you go through the entire thread, you will see, at least for me, I finally worked out a guage and an air chuck that work without having to get my hands in between tires or through the small holes.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rw-owners.html
I have a similar air chuck, but my straight portion is only 6" long (insert joke here) and I suspect it might not be long enough (insert wife related joke here). I don't have a DRW, but I will someday.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:49 PM
wingedone
Tuned
I have a similar air chuck, but my straight portion is only 6" long (insert joke here) and I suspect it might not be long enough (insert wife related joke here).
Exactly. That is why I switched out to a 12 inch stem. Now I can reach the inner and outer tire valves without having to act like a contortionist.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,326 Likes on 1,743 Posts
I'm with Wingdone on those braided extensions.

It isn't that they leak sitting there. It is that they are being whipped around in a big 2 foot diameter circle some 650 revolutions every minute. That's a lot worse than life in a front loading washing machine. Or a Frappucino blender.

That constant whipping, some 39,000 times every hour of highway cruising, can put some stress on those little whip hoses, even when the ends are retained by a clip.

There are two types of braided stainless steel valve extension kits

1. Pressurized, where the whip hose holds the same pressure as the inflated tire

2. Non Pressurized, where the whip hose has a flexible shaft inside that acts on the valve core in the wheel when the valve core in the stem is acted upon. This is what WheelMasters calls the "Live Stem", which I think was a tragedy in naming, because I thing of a live stem as being pressurized with air. So just know ahead of time that logic doesn't fly with WheelMasters. Their "Live Stem" is not live with pressure. It is a mechanical actuator, like a miniature choke cable.

The mechanical actuator is less likely to cause a radical tire failure than a pressurized extender. If the fittings and hose crimps get worked loose from centrifugal force, or if the extended hose gets severed, there is no air loss, as no air is held in this type of extender. It is of a newer design. I think it came out in 1997, if I recall correctly.

With the original design braided stainless pressurized extender, if you run over a piece of metal in the road, and it just so happens to curl up and sever the extender that extends between inner and outer wheel, that would lead to instant pressure evacuation of both the stem and the tire. Blow out.

I'd rather not have any of that stuff attached to the tires and wheels and hubcaps. If I need to check wheel nut torque, or remove a tire for a spare, or get to the brakes, I don't want to have to be dealing with hose holder cleats riveted to the wheel skins.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I've never had a DRW (personally, work truck, yes) so I haven't commented, but this is what I was thinking. As often as tire pressure should be checked/adjusted, why not install something that will make it so much easier and is a permanent solution?
I have used braided extensions and they worked well.

Once I put my tire pressure sensors on, I decided to leave them on year round.
That eliminates physically checking the pressure. A simple scroll through the tire monitor is all that is needed now.

I adjust the pressure seasonally.
55 for the winter and 60 for the camping season.

I use the TST 507 system and am very happy with it. Customer service is excellent.

I'll get the Napa number, I plan on making a double so both tires can be inflated at the same time - pressure.
May even try a "four some"

Quick Reply: DRW tire filling