Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneywar
you did both sides of the pcm?
just want to check as the connection goes on both sides
I did, tho i should use a small mirror to see how good it is..

Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you need a mirror, I'm guessing that you didn't remove the PCM for cleaning. You pretty much have to remove it to clean it properly. Your old chip/programmer, did you say it plugs into the OBD port and not onto the board where you're trying to put the TS chip? If that's the case, I think you need to remove the PCM and make sure you're getting it properly cleaned. It's next to impossible to do with it in the truck. Well, I shouldn't say it is i,possible, but it will take you longer than it would to remove the PCM, clean it properly, install the chip and reinstall the PCM. Pulling the PCM really isn't a big deal once you take the inner fender liner loose.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
If you need a mirror, I'm guessing that you didn't remove the PCM for cleaning. You pretty much have to remove it to clean it properly. Your old chip/programmer, did you say it plugs into the OBD port and not onto the board where you're trying to put the TS chip? If that's the case, I think you need to remove the PCM and make sure you're getting it properly cleaned. It's next to impossible to do with it in the truck. Well, I shouldn't say it is i,possible, but it will take you longer than it would to remove the PCM, clean it properly, install the chip and reinstall the PCM. Pulling the PCM really isn't a big deal once you take the inner fender liner loose.
What Nate said. Just did this entire process yesterday and it was way easier than I thought. Hope you get it worked out!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Nate, my old ATS chip plugs into the PCM and makes great contact, so.... I was saying I wished there was an option to ether go OBD or PCM for the TS type dials. I can definitly see the inboard side of the PCM board and see that's it's very clean, I just can't see the outboard side tho I don't find it difficult to get the provided scouring pad in there... To actually see what I've done I need a mirror..

Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Update kinda.... I realized that I've got a Cali emissions truck. Question: do I need this TS burnt specifically for a cali truck PCM? Also can someone school me on Cali emissions engines as opposed to the rest of the lower 48 powerstrokes? Thanks guys!!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
The Cali trucks run AB split shot injectors. When I asked if a chip burned for split shots would work on our AA single shot injectors, I was told not with out a reburn for singles. So I would think you would need a chip for split shots.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:57 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cali injectors are something like 120 cc split shots, split shot tuning, and the little fuel pump dealio under the turbo are the only differences I'm aware of.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Injectors, flux capacitor or whatever it is on the fuel line coming off the lift pump, shunt on the GP relay that splits the current for the GPs, different PCM (include extra special codes for the GPs), and even a different PCM connector pinout.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Injectors, flux capacitor or whatever it is on the fuel line coming off the lift pump, shunt on the GP relay that splits the current for the GPs, different PCM (include extra special codes for the GPs), and even a different PCM connector pinout.
I stand corrected unless you can mod the pinout to work.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ The great Patrick Feeley has the pinouts memorized, I believe. Or perhaps he has the pinout swap procedure tattooed on his forearm.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ The great Patrick Feeley has the pinouts memorized, I believe. Or perhaps he has the pinout swap procedure tattooed on his forearm.
Wow boys! Nice replys! Sooo, I do need a custom burn for my TS?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Wow boys! Nice replys! Sooo, I do need a custom burn for my TS?
I believe you do. You're trying to run split shot injectors with single shot tunes. I believe split shot tunes are needed to get the truck to run properly.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I believe you do. You're trying to run split shot injectors with single shot tunes. I believe split shot tunes are needed to get the truck to run properly.

Thanks Nate, from what I've read the major difference was a little space ship like device near the fuel filter, the PCM, injectors, and a cat for 5spd trucks. I've also read that these trucks respond better than federal trucks to programming because of the splits. Can anyone recommend someone to burn some tunes on my chip who has experience w my situation? Also, just so I can make sure; w my vin # I should be able to call the dealer and ask what injectors came in my truck, correct?

EDIT; I've also read this morning that the cali trucks would throw a CEL after 25PSI and that a boost fooler is the way to go. Also, doesn't look like splits are any great advantage over singles. Am I loosing out on any great power gains staying w cali emissions as opposed to "federalizing" the truck?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yes, VIN should tell the story. And yes, the Cali trucks will respond somewhat better to tuning than a Fed OBS since you already have bigger fuel injection capacity (120cc Injectors vs our 90ccs). That should make for a nice running truck if you get the right tunes in it. There are a bunch of tuners out there, but I can't personally recommend one above another so I'll leave that to those who have personal experience in that regard.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the major tuners should be able to handle a cali truck since the injectors are similar to the SD split shots.

Also, I thought all OBS 7.3's came with a cat? Can someone confirm that?

Quick Reply: TS chip install quandary...