1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo / ABS Issue [One Front Wheel Sonsor?]

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Fusion7.3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo / ABS Issue [One Front Wheel Sonsor?]

Hello there, Ive Been trying to Trouble Sheet A Speedometer Issue Ive Been Having For a Whyle now And ive decided i Know Enough Information To Put It Up Here And See what the guru's Have To Say About It..

Vehicle:
2000 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Deisel
XLT 4WD 4D, Auto Trans (See Profile Gallery)

Symptom's:
Speedometer Doesnt Work
ABS Light Is On [Lit Up] From KoEo to KoEo [Never Turns Off]
Tranny O/D Light Flashing (When Speedo Isnt Working)

Ok So, I Know This Sounds Like The Rear VSS Sensor And Ive Replaced it with a good one, I Checked with the Multimeeter and i can see the jumps up and down when the speed ring turns.

Ive Traced The Wires From The Cab Under the dash, Grey / Black Wire, All the way Down the frame Rail to the Rear Dif Pumpkin. Everything checks Out ok

WHAT MAKES MY ISSUE DIFFRENT? The Speedo Works, Sometimes And A Little Tempermentally.

Sometimes, When Im Driving Say, On the highway and the Speedo wants to co-Operate, The Needle Will regester speed Above 35MPH But Nothing Below..

Other Days , The Speedo Will Work Flawlessly And Not Have An Issue At All

NOTE: When The Speedo Works, The ABS Light Is Still ON, But the Tranny's O/D Light Doesnt Flash Anymore. Its like everything gets conected all of a sudden then there not..

A Few Instances i Noticed :
- Making A Right Hand Turn Onto the Highway, Boom Speedo Starts to work for a couple days after no working for months..
- Hit A Bump Or A PotHole, Sometimes it makes the Needle "Blip" a little..

And Heres THE BIGGEST HINT I THINK, i washed the truck the other day right, And i sprayed the front axle as well as the rear, Boom, When its wet it works, When the speedo randomly works i relized its right after rain or an extremely wet feeling day..

NOT SURE IF THIS MATTERS: ok So i actually wasnt aware i had a front ABS or " VSS" Type Of Sensor in the front Hub Assemblys. On the Passenger Side, i can see the Wire coming from the hub, up to the frame, and connecting to the ABS Sensor Connector Behind the wheelwell, Weird part is, i go to the Driver Side, This Buh Doesnt have a ABS sensor , No Wire Coming From the Hub, But, Behind the wheelwell, thee is an ABS Connector lust like the Passenger side plugs into, But this one is just sitting there, nothing attatched to it..

I Was looking at some Wireing Diagrams and it looks like there is only soposed to be one on the passenger side just like my truck seems to be set up.. But im not sure if the driver side is soposed to plug into someting or not.. Any Ideas?

Also, Because of the Wetness, Bumps, Etc, My First thought was a Loose Ground Wire.. There is a large Maybe 000 Gauge Wire On the driver side frame rail above the axle , with black insulation thats not bolted to the truck nut just sitting against the frame.. not sure..

Now, the weird part is, it is possible for all systems to work and the speed to be read by the system, just something isnt getting a good enough connection i think..

Question One: If im Soposed to have a Driver Side ABS Sensor, Is it possible to just make a "Bridge" With 2 wires, From the Passenger connector, across to the wires of the driver side connector? making the system see the same speed on both wheels at all times? is this even possible?

Question Two: Is thee soposed to be something connected to the driver side ABS Speed Sensor Connector? Or waas it a generic Harness and i happen to not need it?

Question Three: Anyone Have An Idea Ow Where The Grounds Are i Should Tighten Down? I Know when i look, i just see tons of electrical stuff and no idea as to what is wired to what..

And Question 4 : If everything is like it should be, what are the odds that the ABS Connector thats plugged into the passenger ABS Speed Sensor Connector Isnt getting a good connection? and when i get it wet, the small distance the wires are apart from eachother is bridges with water causing it to work intermittenly?

again, if youve read any of my other posts im sorry its such a long post, i just want to give you all the info i can in 1 sitting instead of playing forum tag ..

EDIT** All Fuses Are Checked And Good To Go, With Power Going Through Them At the Fuse box.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Fusion7.3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for fresh eyes to take a look