Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM
New User

roperchick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Center Brake light

My center brake light went out a month ago. Thought it was the bulb so replaced that, still didn't work. Checked the fuse and its not broken so my guess was electrical?

Hasn't come on once that I know of but I was randomly walking behind my truck and the light was on. Truck was off lights were off and key wasn't in the ignition.

Went and turned my truck on and turned the lights on and the cbl stayed on. When I switched my lights off it went out and stayed out.

Now I'm definitely thinking wiring but not sure where to start fixing?

Oh and it's a 1990 F150 XLT
Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Take the sill panel off and pull up the mat on the driver's side along the seat area and up the driver's side between the back of the door and the driver's side of the rear window. The wiring goes along this area, and sometimes corrodes and shorts out in behind the seat and along the bottom of the door sill area.

The wire you are looking for is a lightgreen wire. It comes right off the brake light switch on the pedal arm. It splits and goes to the steering column and straight up to your rear brake light. It also splits off and goes to the cruise system if you have that.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 PM
New User

roperchick is starting off with a positive reputation.
So turns out they didn't start putting cbl in these trucks till like '96 and mines actually the cargo light. Ha. My bad. I did fix the wiring though and it works now though.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring