Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll bar for 96 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I don't know anything about "red band oilfield pipe" But the rule is to never use pipe for a roll cage or other structural uses, but to use steel tubing. Not sure of the exact reasons or the relative strength ratings. My guess is that pipe doesn't have the ductility and is more likely to break rather than bend in an impact.
The colour determines its wear from the rods that are either rotating or traveling up and down.

There is blue,yellow,green and red paint aplied to the pipe when removed from the well.
Blue,yellow and green are ok for service still.
Red is not. Red can be from to thin for service to hole in side( really a crack from the pressure)
Or it's pitted from corrosion.
Any red band( red paint band) pipe that is still strong is sold to welding shops.
That's where I got mine from.
I cannot say how ductile it is cause I'm not a professional welder or fabricator and haven't compared it to Dom or chromoly exept for price.
I got mine for 50 cents a foot.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I did a brief internet search and found several discussions on different boards of using schedule 40 pipe vs DOM tubing for roll bars / cages. Considering my sources I'm sure the information is completely reliable

With that intro, what I found is that some people say never ever use pipe while others say it can be as good or in some applications even better.

The downsides of pipe seem to be:
  • brittle so it cracks when hit hard enough, possibly even creating shrapnel
  • if galvanized it doesn't weld well (solution to this is to use black gas pipe rather than galvanized water pipe)
  • heavier per foot due to thicker wall

The upsides to pipe seem to be:
  • cheaper
  • stronger due to thicker wall (but not universally agreed upon)
  • more wear resistant so it holds up better as a rock slider (makes sense to me if it's more brittle, that usually means it's harder)
  • doesn't dent when hit (again makes sense if it's more brittle, it won't deform when hit until it's hit hard enough to break it)

So maybe it's not so cut-and-dried that pipe isn't acceptable for roll bars / cages. Personally I still think I'd stay away from it, but apparently there are quite a few cages out there that have worked well for people.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Kregj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
ROLL bar or a bar to mount lights?

A HUGE difference

This is a LIGHT bar
Go Rhino® - Mazda B-Series 1986-1993 Bed Bars

This is a ROLL bar
S&W-11-3581 Ford 92-96 F150 & Lightning Pickup Truck 10 Point Roll Cage 1 5/8"

I'm wanting a roll bar

Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Kregj
I'm wanting a roll bar
Just so you know, a "roll bar" has ZERO roll over protection. It is for looks ONLY

Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I did a brief internet search and found several discussions on different boards of using schedule 40 pipe vs DOM tubing for roll bars / cages. Considering my sources I'm sure the information is completely reliable

With that intro, what I found is that some people say never ever use pipe while others say it can be as good or in some applications even better.

The downsides of pipe seem to be:
  • brittle so it cracks when hit hard enough, possibly even creating shrapnel
  • if galvanized it doesn't weld well (solution to this is to use black gas pipe rather than galvanized water pipe)
  • heavier per foot due to thicker wall

The upsides to pipe seem to be:
  • cheaper
  • stronger due to thicker wall (but not universally agreed upon)
  • more wear resistant so it holds up better as a rock slider (makes sense to me if it's more brittle, that usually means it's harder)
  • doesn't dent when hit (again makes sense if it's more brittle, it won't deform when hit until it's hit hard enough to break it)

So maybe it's not so cut-and-dried that pipe isn't acceptable for roll bars / cages. Personally I still think I'd stay away from it, but apparently there are quite a few cages out there that have worked well for people.
Pipe is banned by every respectable race and offroad organization in the world. It was used in the past with horrific results, which is why it's now banned. Even the cheapjack LeMons beater racing series and the demolition derby outfits ban it. Mostly it shatters on rollover impact *before* the vehicle comes to rest, which on our trucks (and trucks in general) means that it's going to flattop with you inside.

There are offroad parks out there that *will* bar you from entry with a pipe rollbar.