Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Junior User

Malakilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
51 F2 aka 'ol Gnarly

So $1000 buys this in Tennessee. No title but pretty complete.
My goals in the search for an old truck were simple:
Pre-60's, suitable for ratrod build (I.E. not too pretty so I am not destroying a salvageable vehicle), and truck.

This was a ways in the woods about 30 miles south of Nashville.

Took me hours using the old F100 to jerk it out of the mud, trees and swampy/rocky muck. I used the old tow strap and running head start trick to jerk it out. Took about 300 jerks. I got both trucks stuck, and the Uhaul trailer stuck, but just as night fell, got it loaded up.

Stock flathead V8. 4 speed trans and I believe the 486 rear end.
I have no plans for making it pretty. I have no desire to use the stock engine. I'd love to find a good turbo diesel, but who knows. V12 Jag motor swap maybe? No Chevy 350's will be considered.
Slammed to the ground. (My wife does not want a dragger, but I don't care)

Currently parked at her work til I wrap up the 66 C10 build. Being used as a photo prop for senior photos. Her boss loves the truck as is, and we made sure to park in a nice humid shady area to continue the moss growth.

I might do the same Crown Vic swap as I did on my '67, but like the 8 lug. Who knows.

Shorter frame is likely going to happen, and if I can find one, an old wrecker boom to make my own tow truck.

Best quote I've heard for it was : "That grill looks mean as ****"

Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
You win today's prize for most determined new owner. Sounds like you have a plan and skills for the project. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.
Have fun with the project - most of us do.

On you CV swap, I believe that the track width is too wide for this truck unless you spend some $$ on narrowing the crossmember and steering rack (not recommended).

The Jag swap is fairly popular on these, but you will lose the 8 lug with most swaps.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Mala,
Welcome Aboard!! I do like the moss look! I always liked the F2 look - more manly - long bed.... Not sure about that hood ornament. What does the interior look like? Start up a build thread when you start working on it. Nice - You are making some friends posting pics up front!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Elder User

wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.
Darn... I have a brand new sbc I was going to GIVE you but there's no reason to now! lol.. cool looking truck, I like how it looks now!

Wally

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"
Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Senior User

Greg M-47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That picture of the passenger front fender is just plain GREAT !!
Greg M-47
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Senior User

Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M-47 View Post
Greg M-47
Indeed it IS! Nice project and please keep us informed of your progress with many pics!
2004 Mercury Marauder 32v DOHC - sold in June. Don't create a screen name after a car you might sell!
1969 Marquis convertible, 429
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Elder User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
You win today's prize for most determined new owner. .
This takes the prize for the month of May.

I see the mud on the '66 and on the tongue of the U-Haul. That F2 simply did not want a change of scenery.
The front bumper looks like it was pulled off by a force unknown to mankind. Like a UFO grabbed it from above. Gotta be a story behind that.

Thanks for the pictures - glad to see another F2.
Tom
Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Senior User

ryans88gt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post

On you CV swap, I believe that the track width is too wide for this truck unless you spend some $$ on narrowing the crossmember and steering rack (not recommended).
I recommend it! Not really hard at all. $400 to get the crossmember and rack narrowed 2.75". Fits like a glove after that. Modern steering, suspension and brakes for $600 all together.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Posting Guru

Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I like it! A jag v12 would be very cool, or maybe a 4-53T Detroit? It would fit with the 8 lug 3/4 ton hotrod theme.

You got to figure out a way to preserve the moss!

Sam
Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 AM
New User

51coyote is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans88gt View Post
I recommend it! Not really hard at all. $400 to get the crossmember and rack narrowed 2.75". Fits like a glove after that. Modern steering, suspension and brakes for $600 all together.

Boy am I glad I found you! I just picked up my CV ifs for my 51 f1. I'm putting a 2012 coyote 5.0 in mine so now my question is with the ifs narrowed what will it take to get the coyote to set in it??? Awesome though man! I'll post some pics of mine as well!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 AM
New User

51coyote is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Senior User

ryans88gt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well, I suppose we should start a new thread and not fill this build thread up with a bunch of other stuff.

Feel free to send me a PM, but a few issues you will run into that I can think of, is you will need to build motor mounts, a trans mount, and the steering shaft will likely need some customization.

Other than that, cant think of any major issues.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Junior User

Malakilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
So after many weeks of no progress due to working too many hours, I put some effort the last few days into this.

Sold my old C10 for funds for this project.

I picked up a CV front suspension. $150 w/73k on it. Sadly the motor was already gone. I'd have put the 4.6 in the truck.

But my heart was set on either a big block Ford or a diesel. Due to people on CL being....well people on CL, I went to the local pick and pull. They were just about to lift a 91 F250 out and crush it, but the windshield had a note about the engine running but broken steering gear box. It had a 460. Missing most of the EFI crap. I figured swapping to a carb should be easy.
While at the yard I took an intake from 71 460, as it was for a 4bl. It fit kinda weird.
After reading up, it seems to make a carb intake work you need an adapter or something. Head shapes is slightly different. Can anyone clarify this? Likely wrong section of forum for that question.

As this is gonna be a Rat, I have no need for pretty or proper. Just functional. It looks like the adapter is just a set of spacer plates. I can make those myself for under the $350 they want.

On the CV front end, I can modify the front frame to fit the new sub frame or modify the sub-frame to fit the truck. My question is, will the wheels clear the fenders on the 3/4 ton as is? I can box out the frame very easily as the sub-frame would allow for at least 3 inches each side inwards, so the truck frame would not need to be cut. Just added to to make it wider. But as I want the truck stupid low, that may happen anyway.

I am still in search of a good 5 speed trans.

Also, I still need to locate a viable rear end. If I use the CV front end, I am debating on the simple 8.8 from the Mountaineer. $90 at local yard complete caliper to caliper. Many of those came with the LSD and I can pick the ratio I want for under $150. I'd like to have something rather high, for doing burnouts and ******tery on city streets, but not the stock 486..... which is going to be far too much. Besides, I have grown to like disk brakes and the thought of drums again..... but all this means I lose the 8 lug. I wanted a duelly rear.

If anyone in Tennessee happens to have a manual trans let me know. I live south of Nashville.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M-47 View Post
Greg M-47
Yes it is. It jumped right out at me. Awesome it is. Is what prize posters
and cover pic's are made from. If it was me I would seal the rights to it
because I think it will be used very often.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM