Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Junior User

Malakilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Feel free to snitch it. Just a cell phone photo.
I just bought the missing piece for the hood trim the other day.

After doing a lot of reading it seems I should have either grabbed the intake from the 71 engine, as the heads will likely flow better anyway and match the intake, or go back and get the EFI intake and use one of these:

CS-460EFI

Again, it does not matter to me, but more power is more power!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Posting Guru

Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd look for a late model E350 cab and chassis van, they had rear disks and duallys.

Sam
Old 09-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Junior User

Well today I went and purchased a running 7.3 Powerstroke from a '97.

Not sure if the Crown Vic front suspension will hold the weight. All logic says it won't. I have an extra CV front end I planned to use.

The truck is an F2. If I read right, should have wider front fenders. Which as I understand the main reason the CV generally does not get used in these trucks. Frame width is minor work.

I found a friend of the family who has a few transmissions so should be set there for a 5 speed. Just need to source a starter, and alt and a few little bits and pieces.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Fender width is the same F1-6 trucks. Fenders get wider on F7-8 and COE trucks. F2-6 fenders have a larger wheelwell opening than the F1. F7-8 and COE have an even larger wheelwell opening than the F1-6 trucks.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Junior User

Step by step I am acquiring the items to make what I want. Yes, the fenders are not wide enough....or wide enough to run Mustang wheels anyway. Need a higher offset. So I can cut it down and weld it back shorter, but I am concerned about the weight on a weld like that. Engine is in the 1,200 pound range. Double what that front end was designed to carry. I think it would still hold the weight, but any hard use would result in failure at some point. I've considered getting the engine crossmember from the truck as well and weld that into the frame. I doubt it will fit easily. Almost better starting with a whole new homemade frame at that point. But at least I could drop the body to the ground if I wanted.

I am now wondering more about the Jag front end. I can get plenty of those. Cheap at the pick and pull.
I'd need to find out how wide they are though.

A 7.3 Powerstroke is a rather large engine....compared to my daughter who thought it was really neat.

Keeping the truck well watered for photos as it is used daily as a photo prop still. I now have the missing trim piece.... have a whole set I bought but only going to use the single piece. Just need to find clips to mount it and repair the weld on the hood skin so the sheet metal does not flex when closing it.

I am still going for a dually rear end but will put it right behind the cab. Junk the bed which has no value at this point.

Hope to yank motor soon and verify internal conditions of it. I'll sell it if I find no obvious cracks. Otherwise I'll make an art project or scrap it for a few bucks.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior User

Jafo56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You definetly need to drive it to a five star restaurant and pull up front and have the guy Valet it into a parking spot
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
F-2 / F-3 beds are hard to come by. Please don't trash the bed without letting folks on here have a chance at it.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Just get the engine to run. Than drive her as is.
Busted windows and head light and green slime
and all. Definitely will prolly get the most original
trophy for sure. So cool just the way she is.
Than have a boom box on the seat playing
Billy Joel's rendition of " I Love You Just The way
You Are". Heck ya, I would do it for sure.

It's gonna kill ya when ya have to clean it up for
body work Bud.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Junior User

Yeah, I would love if the moss and lichen would stay growing on it. Forever.

After much deep thinking on the issue I have decided to sell the Crown Vic front end I have been sitting on for it and will go with the old Jag set up.

The weight of the big motor will just be too great. I figure the steel will just be better and can be welded in. I have access to a few Jags right now so see no need to modify the CV to fit and it will be too weak anyway.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
It's been said before. But I will say it again.

The original straight axle is just fine for the
interstate driving most do today. It will handle
speeds in excess of 100 MPH. Add power duel
res disk brakes and power steering and save a
years fab work. Ya would be driving her much
sooner. I and others see little advantage to an IFS.
If any. If ya weigh the cost of the IFS against any
advantage over the straight axle It just don't ad up.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 10-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Junior User

This truck is getting dropped as low as I can get it without doing bags. Stock axle is not what I want. I can get the Jag set up for about $200. Maybe a little less. I own all the steel needed for fabrication, unless I build a 100% new frame. Roof is getting chopped down.
This is not a pretty build, but a rat rod. I may spend a lot of time after it is driving making the interior posh.

I am already frustrated at myself for taking this long getting it going. I could pull the engine and get it going now with a simple 302 swap, but have a desire to build a crazy jalopy.

I am not a guy who takes years to do a project.

I decided to turbo my car...... collected all the parts for a 100% conversion and spent a Saturday doing it.

I got bored with that and converted the old GEO Storm from turbo to an Oldsmobile motor with a homemade ECM (Megasquirt) using the stock transverse manual trans..... that took 2 weeks. Programmed the car and drove it. This includes custom made clutch, motor mounts, plumbing, adapters to make everything work.

The F100 with complete '04 Crown Vic swap took about 2 months of weekends because I live about 100 miles from the shop where I do my side projects. I was working 50+ hrs a week during that time. Crafted my own harness, fuel system, and have complete ABS, VAPS, emissions compliant, cruise, custom power brakes and all.

Current plans are to do this over the holidays. I'll tear it down on Thanksgiving, and return around Xmas time and New years to get busy. I am in no rush to get it done, but I have a very strong mind when it comes to knowing all the little things that will be needed before hand and working out the mechanics in my head before the build. We have breaks and rollers and shears for all the sheet metal. Drill presses, mill, lathe, welders, lifts and make anything happen.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Junior User

Well as I said above, I would get some work done on this over the weekend. Sadly I had a crappy oil pan job on a Dodge to do that burned my Thanksgiving Day up...... wife was thrilled.

So only about 2 days work done. I was ill for Sunday and had to drive home (100 miles in the country) Short days at that..... maybe 10-12 hours total. Normally on projects of this nature I am working 10-16 hours each day.

I towed the truck with my '67 and got it in the shop. Step one was to yank the front end.

The old original engine turns smooth as butter and is for sale if anyone needs it.

Build date stamp says March of 1951.

Finally cleaned out the interior.... it was really nasty with decades of rat ****.

This is the yoke from a 1997 F350. I was mid-cut while doing this but it came apart pretty nicely.

Trimmed a bit and first guess on where it would fit:

Here is a closer idea of where the 7.3 will ride:

Close fit. Yes I know the harmonic balancer is coming apart. Also the water pump is not bolted down I was test fitting the assembly. That is the junk fan anyway. I have another that is straight.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Junior User

Cab view:

Amount required for transmission fitment. I am using a ZF5. I have a solid flywheel for it. Going to get the clutch rebuilt.

Turbo clearance is not as bad as you might expect. Current plan is to use a tight radius elbow/V-band piece to bring the exhaust forward then around through the passenger fender and out the back side.

Very nice fit.

As I left it Saturday night.

I am aware of wrapping the turbo, and firewall protections, and overloading the front end, and the ****ty condition of my truck. I am building a rat, so looks are not important to me on this build. I have built a number of projects over the years and don't give a rats **** about certain things. Right now, very few hard changes were made to the truck itself to get this done. I was prepared to remove the whole original firewall, but it was not needed as it turns out.
As guys above said, the stock springs held the engine up really well. I was amazed that there about between a 1/2-3/4" drop total. (no transmission)

Stock steering linkage would work. Not sure if I wish to retain it though. I have a power steering pump on the motor.

I am looking into brakes, my rear end choice and tons of other factors. I have a mess of various aspects I need to detail in my mind before I can work on it again.

Inner fenders will be severely modified, mostly due to the radiator which is a monster. Front crossmember needs a window opened up for the fan blade. Front horns after the front springs will be removed, and new wider radiator frame will be fabricated. New mounting for the front end will be fabricated.

Currently I think I can make diskbrakes from a newer era truck fit. I still have tons of hours of thinking to get done. (75% of my builds are done in my head and all details are worked out on what will work, not work and how to make stuff not meant to be together fit together.)

Frame is getting boxed in. Bed is pretty much junk. I have little wrecker boom to install either in the bed or on a flatbed.

I am looking for a dually rear end with a speed sensor in it for a Ford. 94.5-1998 manual trans brake assembly. 95-97 accelerator pedal assembly. Alt, starter, fuel tank, seats, gauges that will work with my drivetrain.

I am selling all parts not being used. I cut the trans crossmember with a torch, but most parts are taken off nicer. Transmission is a 4 speed. (double clutchin')

Rear end should have a 4.86. Engine should be rebuilt. I have the stock heater box, and not sure if I'll use it or go with AC and fab up my own unit.

I hope over Xmas I'll have more time to apply to the build.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Old School

Coming along great Bud. But ya still got your work cut out for ya.
Still that is gonna be an awesome 51 if ya git er done.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 PM