1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Frustration!! Part 3, the conclusion,maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustration!! Part 3, the conclusion,maybe

This little adventure has been going on since the start of the month and I believe that the mystery of the ticking lifters has been FINALLY solved. I posted earlier about my problem and that the engine rebuilder made several attempts to correct this problem.
His last visit resulted in the fuel pump being the problem. " Just fix the pump and run it. Everything needs to settle in." So I ran the truck long enough to fill the carb and then disconnected the fuel pump and removed it and the push rod for it.
And then I ran it. Yup noise still there. That's when I got Carl to visit and give his opinion. His call. Noisy lifter. So I prepped everything and he started checking the lifter adjustment. Couple minutes later he called me over for a look.
"Look at the second valve from the back and tell me what you see." So I look and a monster gap!! We measured and over 62 thousand !! We are thinking that this could be the noise!
Turns out that the adjusting bolt is so tight that we can't turn it. Has it been like this all along? Could he miss this three times?
I'm back at it again Tuesday. We are going to use two methods to try and hold the lifter to make some adjustment. If this fails off with the head and out with the valve assembly.
Updated the machine shop and they want to see this. So he is back tomorrow JUST to WATCH and not to touch. I will not be there as I believe I might not be too civil. I'll update this post later Tuesday. Wish us luck for no head removal. ( But I am getting a gasket in at my auto parts shop just in case )
Greg M-47

Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Not too many people know how to adjust flathead valves (which is crazy since they are straight forward with adjustable lifters). With the original solid lifters you need a machinist who knows trigonometry and valve grinding...

Old 05-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
You're right 38 coupe it isn't hard to adjust flathead valves. I got to do one today after big Rob managed to free up the adjusting bolt. Mr engine rebuilder got to see the 62 thousand plus gap. And couldn't believe he had missed it twice. No he missed it three times! We had quite a battle or should say Rob did getting the adjusting bolt loose.
But it is done and he is shooed back to his shop. Left it up to he and the owner to figure out the compensation. The guy never did come clean as far as I'm concerned. But I believe in karma and that it will all work out in the end. So this is the end to my lifter story. If I get it back together on Thursday and it rattles ? I'll deal with it.
Greg M-47

Old 05-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg M-47
You're right 38 coupe it isn't hard to adjust flathead valves. I got to do one today after big Rob managed to free up the adjusting bolt. Mr engine rebuilder got to see the 62 thousand plus gap. And couldn't believe he had missed it twice. No he missed it three times! We had quite a battle or should say Rob did getting the adjusting bolt loose.
But it is done and he is shooed back to his shop. Left it up to he and the owner to figure out the compensation. The guy never did come clean as far as I'm concerned. But I believe in karma and that it will all work out in the end. So this is the end to my lifter story. If I get it back together on Thursday and it rattles ? I'll deal with it.
Greg M-47
What is he thinking? That you mis-adjusted your valve so you could complain to him about the noise and get some compensation? Can't he just admit that he couldn't break it loose and skipped over it with his fingers crossed?

He must realize that he's already lost you as a customer.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
I gave him ample chances to come clean Jolly Roger Joe. I even fessed up to pulling his chain a bit and told him we found it seized and three of us couldn't move it until Rob got it to move this morning prior to his arrival.
But he stuck with his story ...sort of.
The bad part is the owner of his shop and the owner of the body shop are friends and do a lot of business. I did kept my boss away and told him it was my problem to fight.
He did say " Anything else I can do? Install the intake? " And my reply was, " Yes there is something you can do. Go. Git "
Greg M-47

Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have found over the years (in my woodworking business) that it is best to own up to mistakes and to fix them as soon as I realize it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I tried to con anybody. I have also found out over the years that not everybody does. I will say though that most do, either that or they are too embarrassed to admit a mistake. I was when I began many years ago but got over that quickly.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
You're right Topmoo. All he had to do is tell me that one of the lifters that came in is bad. I'm unable to adjust it. And we could have dealt with it. How in the world did he ever think he could slip this by ? It was noisy right from the start and never got any better after his "adjustments."
" Fix the noisy fuel pump and run it. Everything needs a chance to settle in. " Boy am I ever glad that I, and Rob and my brother decided he was wrong. Had to get in there and look with the help of Carl, the flathead guy I was pointed to.
So what should have been a fun moment of an engine coming to life was ruined. But on a positive note I learned more about lifter adjustment and got to meet a GREAT flathead guy that I can call on for help. Oh and a great story when I'm asked about my engine at a car show.
Greg M-47

Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Greg,
Post some video of your engine running once you get it back
together. I'd like to hear that sweet machine....

Hang in there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Did you have the block drilled on the lifter bores to make adjustment easier, or are you using the tool supplied with the lifters?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Thanks Ben but don't hold your breath waiting for that video. I'm lucky to be able to get on this site and bumble around some.
Yes Albuq F-1 the lifter bores are drilled. As a matter of fact that was a reason for my first hint that this engine rebuilder might not be the best. When he showed up at the shop for his first attempt at adjusting things we let him at it. After he got the intake off he told us he was going back to the shop because the boss had sent him with the wrong tool. He discussed this with Rob who agreed to fab up a tool for him.
While this was going on I strolled over and looked in the lifter valley. " Hey, why don't you stick a drift punch into the lifter bore holes that are drilled to hold the lifter in place while you adjust ? " I said. " Oh yeah that's how I did it. "he replied.
After that adjustment I put everything back together. Then after I am all done ,off to the side I find a red engine bolt. Turned our to be a bolt that holds the clip that the road draft tube is held on with. A real pain to put in AFTER all the other stuff was on ,after finding the clip that fell down on the cross member.
When I asked him about this on his next visit he never did admit to removing it. I knew then what kind of a person I was dealing with.
Greg M-47