I need a mentor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a mentor...

We've been looking at travel trailers, and have found the one we wanted to buy. We met with the sellers, and struck a deal today. I meet them at the bank tomorrow to transfer funds, and they'll deliver it afterwards.
Fortunately, I'll have as much time as needed to get my truck set up to tow before taking it out for the first time.
Is there a source for answers for all of the dumb rookie questions that will help me with the learning curve I'll be embarking on?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
We've been looking at travel trailers, and have found the one we wanted to buy. We met with the sellers, and struck a deal today. I meet them at the bank tomorrow to transfer funds, and they'll deliver it afterwards.
Fortunately, I'll have as much time as needed to get my truck set up to tow before taking it out for the first time.
Is there a source for answers for all of the dumb rookie questions that will help me with the learning curve I'll be embarking on?
I would suggest throwing your questions out here and buckling in.

I would also suggest you examine the title to make sure the year on the title is in agreement with what you are buying, if you have not done so already. Lots of folks advertise one year and the title says another. Not trying to be dishonest, they often just don't know.

Just a thought,

Steve

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
OK, here comes the first question that comes to mind...
when the trailer is first disconnected from the truck, and plugged into 110v, do the trailer batteries need to be disconnected, or will all electrical demands be drawn from 110v?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
OK, here comes the first question that comes to mind...
when the trailer is first disconnected from the truck, and plugged into 110v, do the trailer batteries need to be disconnected, or will all electrical demands be drawn from 110v?
The trailer will have what is called a power converter that changes 120 VAC to 12 VDC and charges the batteries. There is nothing that needs to be disconnected. Just plug the camper in using what is called the shoreline to the pedestal in the campground at your campsite.

The converter and battery can actually share 12 volts needs if necessary. Make sense?

Steve

Old 05-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
That makes perfect sense.
Once I get the trailer home tomorrow and more questions come up, I'll be back. Thanks, Steve!!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Color01
Freshman User
go on youtube , it has enough video's to explain all your questions.
that's how I learned all the ins and outs of our Horse trailer with living quarters.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Great idea!
Thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 AM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve can probably answer any questions you have.

Looking for people fighting over questions, check out:

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum

and

iRV2 Forums

Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by wingedone
Steve can probably answer any questions you have.

Looking for people fighting over questions, check out:

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum

and

iRV2 Forums

Good luck and have fun.
Just a thought about the "fighting over questions". Boy, that is sure the case. One of the things that strikes me is some of the most intense battles have to do with things I never see in the field. Lots of "if you do this, this will happen" and so often I want to say "when exactly does that happen?"

There is a tremendous amount of latitude in how to do things with an RV and you will find even the factories don't agree on the best way to do some things.

The absolute best in this forum, in my opinion, is there is a "live and let live attitude" and not a lot of "if you do it this way you will burn in Hades" comments. And of course, I rely on a lot of folks here to keep me honest!

Steve

Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Congrats! Ask away right here. You can keep this thread going as long as you need to.

also take a look at the tech folder. Lots of good info there as well.

Take your time, learn the rig.

Also a big parking lot to practice your turns and backing up helps if you don't have the experience already.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
When I bought my trailer, I went for a few drives without my wife and kids. That really paid off. What I didn't expect, although it seems obvious now, was that low-speed driving near my home was 10x more stressful than the highway. I live in a very urban area, and it's a lot of work to wheel my rig around these tight streets.

I also practiced parking quite a few times. places like wal-mart aren't too bad, but it helps to have an exit plan before you enter. Parking beside the curb also has a couple challenges. one I hadn't expected was that the crown of the road tilts the top of your trailer over the sidewalk. If there is a lamp-post too close to the curb, you can be in big trouble. I rubbed my awning off on one of those, expensive lesson.

It's nice to know the total height of your rig, as some gas stations are lower than you think.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
It's nice to know the total height of your rig, as some gas stations are lower than you think.[/quote]

That is a nice one there.

Don't go off of mfgr specs.

Measure to the highest point. Probably the A/C.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
When I bought my trailer, I went for a few drives without my wife and kids. That really paid off. What I didn't expect, although it seems obvious now, was that low-speed driving near my home was 10x more stressful than the highway. I live in a very urban area, and it's a lot of work to wheel my rig around these tight streets.

I also practiced parking quite a few times. places like wal-mart aren't too bad, but it helps to have an exit plan before you enter. Parking beside the curb also has a couple challenges. one I hadn't expected was that the crown of the road tilts the top of your trailer over the sidewalk. If there is a lamp-post too close to the curb, you can be in big trouble. I rubbed my awning off on one of those, expensive lesson.

It's nice to know the total height of your rig, as some gas stations are lower than you think.
Or low hanging trees, especially along the outside lane in rural areas or side streets anywhere.

To Steve's original point, check all paperwork very carefully. Unless you know who your dealing with, I'd double check everything.

The other, paying today and having them "drop off" the trailer later?
If me, I'd ride back with this person and watch them hook it up and deliver. Not saying...but?

The other thing by being there, you can learn how they connect and disconnect, etc.

Happy and safe travels.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't look at this as a chore, but an Adventure! Keep your humor and don't worry if you mess up. We all had to learn it and we still are learning. I have had an RV since early 70's when it was a slide in Pickup camper. Enjoy, it, don't be afraid to experiment on what works for you. We can help with a broad range of questions, but the bottom line is for you to do it the way you are comfortable.
First things first, get it home and get familiar with it. Camp in the driveway, pull it around the block, and etc. You don't have to take a 100 mile trip to get acquainted with you Rig. And Oh BTW, Congrats! Enjoy! Always smile, even when you knock off the air conditioner going under an overpass that is 11'6" and it is marked as 13'6"! Yep, done that too!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
The best thing to remember is: DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT keep your black water drain valve OPEN even if you are in a E-W-S site in the campground. Dump your black water holding tank only when it is near full! Also go for the GEO Method:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Quick Reply: I need a mentor...