Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior User

jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Door Hinge Pins on a "53 F-100

Has anyone replaced door hinge pins and bushings? I find new door hinge pins and bushings offered for '53 - '72 F-100 - F-350 by Mac's Auto Parts. In the Mid-Fifty Catalog I find just the pins (I assume for a "53) but no bushings. My old hinges are worn. I don't know what degree of wear is acceptable, but I can get a little less than 1/8" of play up and down at the end of the hinge arm. I'm thinking that across the width of the door, that translates into unacceptable play. Any thoughts? Pins and bushings will cost about $25. Four new hinges will cost about ten times that much.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Senior User

jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When the door is installed, I do not get any discernible play in the door as a whole. I'm got plenty of other stuff to do on the truck besides replacing hinge pins. (I'm posting this to myself to see if I get any viewer comments when this post rises to the top of the pile...)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Postmaster

jniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to behold
John

not a difficult fix... knock out the old ones (the difficult part) with a pin punch. Using the proper sized drill bit, bore out the hinge... drive the new ones in... done... The new pin has teeth just under the flat head that will grip the hinge body... just use the proper sized drill bit (should be noted in your klit). No play is better than any play

john
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Senior User

Thumbs up

Thanks, John.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
I have replaced quite a few pins...never seen a 53-56 hinge with a bushing however.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Dave

Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
David LaRose
1119-OS,midfifties number for pins.3.00 each
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If the door closes and stays closed OK and doesn't rattle on bumps IMHO I would leave it alone. I don't know how tough a job it is getting the hinge pins out but on my '50 it was a real bxxxh. Like you said you have other things to fix.
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Elder User

Outlaw56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Two things come to mind on Hinge Pins for these trucks. The ones Mid Fifty sells are "oversize" which is fine if you want to drill out the hinge holes (both brackets) and install the new pins. I have not used their pins, but I suspect they are regular steel pins. "Macs" also has the standard size pins, but it specifies they too are just regular steel. The ones I removed when taking my hinges apart to paint them, are very hard steel. I know this because one of them was broken and I am in the process of trying to remove and replace it. In addition to being very hard steel, the stock pins appear to have a spiral groove down the outside of the shaft which I assume is to allow oil to lube the pin shaft.

I am still looking for pin options to replace my broken one and I have yet to get the pin shaft removed from the hinge.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
IMHO, I have been down this road before on 53-56 door hinges. Buy new hinges if you can. Replacing worn pins with the oversize pins out there are hit or miss unless you have a lot of time and energy to mess with it.
'65 Mustang Coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '68 Mustang Convertible, '01 Mustang V6
Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Elder User

I hear what your saying teardrop, I did not really like the idea of using anything other than the stock hinge pin that came with the stock hinges. My hinges are all good, but one had a broken pin. If I can find that pin (original) I want to try replacing it before I invest in new hinges. If I do have to replace the hinges with new ones, are you saying rebuilt or brand new? I see Mid Fifty has "New ones" but sometimes new stuff is not as heavy as the old stuff.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Elder User

Teardrop,

Do you have any hinge pins that were working ok when you removed them from hinges you have worked on? I have three hinges apart ready to sandblast and paint. I have one hinge the pin was broken and had a hard time getting out, but I finally got it. Im looking for one good used stock pin.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks