Sponsored by: Moser

Small Vibration when towing my boat with f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:13 AM
ARK Ranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Vibration when towing my boat with f150

I have a 2013 F150 Ecobost. It is a 4 door 4x4 with the single rear drive shaft. When I pull my boat I get a very strange vibration between 60 and 70 MPH Mostly around 65. I had my balance checked all around on truck( not by Ford dealer) and took my Bass boat to the factory and had them go thru all the wheels and balance. It helped but I still have vibration. When I'm pulling the boat and the vibration starts I can see the trolling motor shaking on the front of the boat. At this time I do not think it is the boat. I have a tongue weight of about 350 Lbs. Has anyone had problems with their F150 with a little load on the rear. If so is there an aftermarket cure. Truck and boat are both new with low mileage.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 AM
kjt8ro
New User
Originally Posted by ARK Ranger
I have a 2013 F150 Ecobost. It is a 4 door 4x4 with the single rear drive shaft. When I pull my boat I get a very strange vibration between 60 and 70 MPH Mostly around 65. I had my balance checked all around on truck( not by Ford dealer) and took my Bass boat to the factory and had them go thru all the wheels and balance. It helped but I still have vibration. When I'm pulling the boat and the vibration starts I can see the trolling motor shaking on the front of the boat. At this time I do not think it is the boat. I have a tongue weight of about 350 Lbs. Has anyone had problems with their F150 with a little load on the rear. If so is there an aftermarket cure. Truck and boat are both new with low mileage.
\

Check the hitch & the LEVEL of the hitch to the boat, you might have the hitch to high & throwing the weight off the tong of the boat. If it is not level, get the right drop on your hitch.
You want your boat level or slight nose dive (you have a heavy motor on the rear) load your gear more near the front~coolers and all & see if that helps any.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:05 AM
ARK Ranger
Senior User
Originally Posted by kjt8ro
\

Check the hitch & the LEVEL of the hitch to the boat, you might have the hitch to high & throwing the weight off the tong of the boat. If it is not level, get the right drop on your hitch.
You want your boat level or slight nose dive (you have a heavy motor on the rear) load your gear more near the front~coolers and all & see if that helps any.
I have already gone thru all of that.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
you only notice the vibration at those speeds? I know you had it checked, but I still think it sounds like balance. If the trolling motor is shaking, it sounds like a balance issue with the trailer. To me, this does not sound like a truck problem at all.
Just for fun, what speed are those trailer tires rated for? the trailer guys may have been a little lazy with the blaance if they thought you'd only be doing 55 mph.

If it was me, I'd talk it over with a reuputable independent tire shop. I have some guys I would trust in my town, but since you don't have your location listed (hint hint . . . .) I don't know if you live near me.

I also had another thought, this could be a wind resistance issue. that trolling motor could be "fluttering" in the strong wind at those speeds. Have you tried taking the trolling motor off and going for a drive?

Can you feel this vibration in the steering wheel of the truck?

I'm no expert, but I have a lot of opinions. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 AM
rabiddawg
Freshman User
My boat did this earlier this year and I blame it on "flat spotting" from sitting in the shop over winter even though I did jack it up once and rotate the tires. After pulling it a couple times this spring the vibration is gone.

The only other time this happened I had a belt in a tire coming loose and it actually made the tire visibly lopsided. That shook the trailer so bad I could see the boat shaking in the rear view mirror.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
ARK Ranger
Senior User
Fix

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
After reading that there appears to be no fix. Its not bad but its there. I towed this new boat for about 2 months before I got the new F150. I had a 2000 Exp with factory air suspension all around. I never had this problem with the EXP.
So far i have no shutter at stop and start. Just around 65. Sometimes I do not have it then but I can't figure that out. When it is doing it the TM shakes and when it is not the TM does move.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I thought the exact same thing. On a side note, I read your issue recently and immediately thought of that. Doesn't seem like he has the extent of the vibration as you, so I'm not completely convinced. Hopefully, he'll figure it out.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 AM
msngregory
New User
Cool 2013 F150 Vibration when towing

I have a 2013 F150 King Rancher 6.5' bed 4 door 4 x 4 that I paid $54,000 for the purposes of towing my boat. When towing my 18' Tracker boat weighing 3000 lbs empty and about 3500 lbs loaded I have a vibration at 60 and above that is so bad it is scary. Absolutely not safe to drive. So far we have replace the drive shafts, replaced the transmission mount with the Raptor mount, changed the rims and tires with road force balanced, tried a 3 degree shim to change the pinion angle, had the tandem trailer tires road force balanced and tried adjusting and shimming the carrier barring, not necessarily in that order. We have tried different combinations these modifications. I tried towing the boat with my brothers 2010 F150 XLT and got the same results although not as bad. Nothing has worked. The dealership had me call the 800 customer service number which only resulted in me receiving a case number. It appears Ford has no fix for this issue. The dealership managers has made several inquires to the Ford engineers and we have done the try this try that game for months. Now all I get is silence crickets chirp chirp. I have bought 12 new trucks from Ford over the years most of them super duties. All I can say is what happened to 'Built Ford Tough', 'Quality Job #1'. The engineers need to add a service code that says 'Melt it down and start over'. Guess I will be looking at Dodge trucks after this beating.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:09 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msngregory
I have a 2013 F150 King Rancher 6.5' bed 4 door 4 x 4 that I paid $54,000 for the purposes of towing my boat. When towing my 18' Tracker boat weighing 3000 lbs empty and about 3500 lbs loaded I have a vibration at 60 and above that is so bad it is scary. Absolutely not safe to drive. So far we have replace the drive shafts, replaced the transmission mount with the Raptor mount, changed the rims and tires with road force balanced, tried a 3 degree shim to change the pinion angle, had the tandem trailer tires road force balanced and tried adjusting and shimming the carrier barring, not necessarily in that order. We have tried different combinations these modifications. I tried towing the boat with my brothers 2010 F150 XLT and got the same results although not as bad. Nothing has worked. The dealership had me call the 800 customer service number which only resulted in me receiving a case number. It appears Ford has no fix for this issue. The dealership managers has made several inquires to the Ford engineers and we have done the try this try that game for months. Now all I get is silence crickets chirp chirp. I have bought 12 new trucks from Ford over the years most of them super duties. All I can say is what happened to 'Built Ford Tough', 'Quality Job #1'. The engineers need to add a service code that says 'Melt it down and start over'. Guess I will be looking at Dodge trucks after this beating.
Sorry to hear that...When I went through the samae issue the 2" shim lkit worked for me. (not towing) and they installed air bags at the dealer to try and keep the same angle when towing. I now have pretty much NO vibration when not toeing (which is wonderful) and I do believe the trailer I have has a slight vibration of it's own. (very slight) I towed a buddies big Striper boat with the 2" shim kit and had no vibration issues. His boat is about 8500 lbs. and mine is about 4200 pounds.

The 2" shim kit brought the pinion angle closer to ZERO. Did they add angle to yours or remove it? (adding angle to mine made it worse.)