Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Memorial Day 2014...Thank You!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Memorial Day 2014...Thank You!

I found this little piece written by a third grader. Much better than I could ever write.

As the flowers rest on the decorated graves and the sunlight shines on the beautiful sailboats, Uncle Sam whispers in my ear about how we should care for the soldiers and remember the ones that have died. Swimming pools open, BBQs fry. Today is the day to think of what they have done for us. There are blurs of red, white and blue marching down the street and flags are lowered at half-mast. But we should always remember and never forget what set us free, from this very day on.

3rd Grader, Academy Elementary School, Madison, Connecticut

Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Good find, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Great find. God Bless, pass, present and future military for we have serviced and so will they, God bless this great country.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 PM
02expy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to everyone who is or who has served!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to all who served and still serving this great country, God bless.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That third grader has a more eloquent way of speaking than most adults. That piece, and pics, brought a tear to the corner of my eye and a smile on my face. Thanks Neal!
God bless those who made us free and those who spread the word.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
There are very few if any of us who could have said it any better. Sufficient words do not come to me that can properly express my feelings of gratitude towards those that have served, and those that currently do serve our country. Thank you Neal for this thread and my eternal thanks to those that have given the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our great country.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to take this time to recognize the courage to serve in the armed forces when there is extreme danger. My nephew is a Marine jet pilot who was sent on an infantry mission and did survive an IED attack while in the back of a pickup truck with just his body armor to protect him. Unfortunately some of his comrades did not make it. There are many living in our country who have survived these attacks, but have lingering medical and mental issues.

I ask that those who read this thread have some compassion for these soldiers that we meet. Let us remind them that we appreciate them for going into the face of death when they are very afraid that they will not see their loved ones again. That takes a very special kind of courage. Larry

Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Posted by LC 0311 Sir Crunchie I.M.H., K.o.E. on May 26, 2014

I have fallen victim recently to bitter resentment when I think of the state of our republic today, and the ideals for which so many have marched to war to defend, never to return. So many of our “countrymen” seem to have thrown away that which our honored fallen gave all to preserve. But then I remember that no matter how bleak our current situation seems, things have been bleaker. And the men we honor today rose up during those bleak times and faced the evil of their day as free men, as patriots, as Americans. And they paid for future generations to have the ability to the do the same; as free men, as patriots, as citizens. So I vow that I WILL live my life as to be worthy of their sacrifice, that I WILL ensure that future generations can live as citizens of a free republic. I WILL continue to carry the torch that they fell to keep lit, and I WILL pass that torch on.

Words from a different war, facing a different foe, but for 238 years men who instinctively understood this marched to war to defend the ideals of liberty and freedom. They did not march to war to conquer, or for greed or plunder, or because a king commanded them to. They went as citizens fighting for a cause greater than themselves. And they gave their futures for generations yet unborn.

That I will honor.

“To be born free is an accident.
To live free a privilege.
To die free a responsibility.”

Brigadier General James “Robbie” Risner
USAF
POW 1965-1973

Old 05-26-2014, 08:14 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every year I go to Washington, DC and look at the names on the wall. Some I knew and take the time to remember what they gave up while I came home. But just as bad are the children left behind to live with only one parent, or the wives who are left behind to try and make sense of the loss and continue to raise the kids and make a life. Or parents who lost their children. They had such hopes and dreams for the future, and now there is nothing left but memories and visits to the cemetery. Others come home missing limbs or sight. It was all for us who go on. Remember them and thank the ones you see. Pray for them. And be thankful for the ones we will never see.

If you have never been to Arlington, or seen the Wall and other monuments, it is worth the trip.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While I appreciate all those who served for our freedom, I must also thank them for their service to humanity. My son was on the Abraham Lincoln when it steamed into the heartbreaking waters of Banda Aceh for support - it wasn't pretty. The hangar deck was converted into a water filling station and all that power from the nuclear reactors was put to use for processing seawater into life-giving fresh water for thousands of traumatized survivors. The flight deck was used for helicopters ferrying supplies to where they were most needed.

Upon their return trip from this rescue mission, I was lucky to spend time onboard with these hard-working young men and women that had witnessed the aftermath of such a large-scale catastrophe. We are all familiar with the sacrifice these men an women make in a war, I just wanted to remind everyone that spending time in "the Service" is not always about being in a conflict - sacrifice for the sake of others comes in many forms.

Thank you all, for all you have done.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tugly
While I appreciate all those who served for our freedom, I must also thank them for their service to humanity. My son was on the Abraham Lincoln when it steamed into the heartbreaking waters of Banda Aceh for support - it wasn't pretty. The hangar deck was converted into a water filling station and all that power from the nuclear reactors was put to use for processing seawater into life-giving fresh water for thousands of traumatized survivors. The flight deck was used for helicopters ferrying supplies to where they were most needed.

Upon their return trip from this rescue mission, I was lucky to spend time onboard with these hard-working young men and women that had witnessed the aftermath of such a large-scale catastrophe. We are all familiar with the sacrifice these men an women make in a war, I just wanted to remind everyone that spending time in "the Service" is not always about being in a conflict - sacrifice for the sake of others comes in many forms.

Thank you all, for all you have done.
Well said Rich! Serving has many forms and each of the forms of service needs to be appreciated and memorialized.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Thank You to all who served for all that you have sacrificed.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
We all think of those who take up arms in time of conflict, but that is only a small portion of the people in the service. It is a much larger group who serve in other capacities, such as those pointed out by Rich, that allow for the projection of strength to those who would do evil to others, and good will to those that need a helping hand. The United States takes the lead in every major disaster by a very large margin and it is through the generosity of the American people and administered through the men and women of our armed services. The rest of the world would do well to remember that.