Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

DJM beam kit camber seems out

Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DJM beam kit camber seems out

Hey all I did a lowering kit on my 78 shortbox and after I got motor in I noticed the camber seems still out. In the picture you can see not all parts are on the truck but she will drive down the road. Question is will fenders hood and door weight bring the truck down more or do I need to do something else.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM
MdubbU
Senior User
Oh man that's off. I installed mine the other day but I don't have any weight on them yet do to no motor or body being mounted to the frame. so I have nothing to compare to how it should be sitting. possibly spring or shocks causing the issue? Good luck.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:17 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
what are the specs for center of coil spring bolt to center of frame mount bushing suppose to be ? and what is the same spec on the 72 and earlier ? maybe they just sent you the wrong kit

Old 05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
I have to measure to get specs. The kit has been in the truck since last august so good chance i am stuck with it I also got the proper shocks from them at the same time. Did I do something wrong? Should I cut springs? Is it possible I got them the wrong way around?

Last edited by CDN Sharky; 05-24-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
did the coils come with the kit? get some one to help you measure .. Don't do anything until your sure .. Take your time and report back the specs as you measure .. call the manufacturer and compare notes with them .. if you have to exchange it would be a simple touch up for them as long as you don't cut anything .. Don't panic ..

Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 PM
MdubbU
Senior User
OK well looking at mine there set pretty much the same angle. but like I said I have no weight on the frame yet. was your truck a big block truck at one time an now a small block? it weird seeing this it has me thinking about how my truck sat be for tear down, my springs were in very nice shape and showed no sign of sagging at all.

If it comes down to it cut take measurments an cut the coil a little bit at a time in till your happy with how it sets.

The only differences between the I beams on the bump side and dent side is the type of king pin that was used. 80 and after I think is when the trucks no long had king pins, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 PM
MdubbU
Senior User
oh and when you put them in were the end of the I beams where the king pins going in tilted to the rear of the truck?

Are your radius arms backwards? the shock mounts on them should be on the bottom. Did you tighten the radius arms down be for the engine and body were on the truck?

Just trying to think of the obvious that could throw something off.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:30 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
I got the truck without a motor. I don't remember but I think kingpins were tilted to the back I followed instructions that I know. I did tighten everything before motor wen in.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 PM
MdubbU
Senior User
ok I would loosen the radius arms up and let the truck relx an tighten them back down.

I have been told that the springs on the front tend to be different with length for weight. I don't know what the weight difference is between there being a 6cyl or small block and big block. makes me even wonder if there the right springs or they were replacement springs and some one at one time was trying to lift the front end to level it with the rear cause a lot of these trucks the front end sat lower then the rear end.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
Here are some pics of assembly you guys see anything out of wack?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
I will loosen the radius arms tomorrow and post back.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I think you need to take the bind out of the suspension by rolling the truck forward and back about five feet.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Those all sound like great suggestions .. Also you could lay a 2x10-12 across the engine bay and place something/some things (cinder blocks ? ) of the approximate weight of what you believe has not been added to take that variable out of the equation or one good ol' boy standing on the rad support .. 2 fenders, doors, hood and front bumper have some weight .. If there is some in-house part number on the beams verify you got the right parts wouldn't hurt either .. Good luck

Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I think you need to take the bind out of the suspension by rolling the truck forward and back about five feet.
Exactly, the suspension behaves that way when lifted and sat back down.

Josh

Old 05-25-2014, 01:30 PM
CDN Sharky
Junior User
I drove it about 500 yards before I took the original picture forward and reverse. took another pic today with rim off. I did loosen radius arm no difference. That is the drivers side does the angle look right. Part numbers on kit were DB3004B-3 and DB3004D-3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DJM beam kit camber seems out