Print Wikipost

What is the mpg of the 2.7???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 AM
daytomann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mackintire

So the new 2015 model is 700lbs lighter.
See above......

Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by daytomann
A lot of people are still saying the new truck is 700 lbs lighter. NO. Ford claims UP TO 700lbs. We know how truthful Fords claims are.
Actual weight loss will vary from configuration and from trim level. Sure the trucks will drop some lbs... but real world weight savings is NOT going to be 700lbs per truck. If it is I would be extremely surprised and I would give it up to Ford.....but it won't.
With the extensive use of aluminum, I'd hope for at least 500 lbs of weight loss, but I do remember all the hubbub about the new 2011 Explorer. The 2010 model was body on frame, old engineering, etc. The new one was to be an efficient unit body to save weight. I will grant that the 2011 is larger, but the net weight loss was about 70 lbs. as I recall. (I was expecting 500 lbs although Ford didn't announce any figures early on.)

George

Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
elemint
Elder User
The only reason for STILL not releasing the Mpg is that they are not that impressive and they are working frantically to come up with a bs number somehow. Will the darn thing even be ready this year???

Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would expect to hear some more 2015 F150 news sometime this week.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 AM
IJAZ FAHTED
New User
Originally Posted by elemint
The only reason for STILL not releasing the Mpg is that they are not that impressive and they are working frantically to come up with a bs number somehow. Will the darn thing even be ready this year???
well said!
you're right! I remember back in 2010 a year before the 3.5 EB was released Ford was advertising 22 MPG.
Now only a few months before the 2015 comes to the dealers Ford is very quiet not releasing any MPG numbers.
You're right, I bet Ford is in panic behind the scenes cause its not getting the great MPG.
The 2014 Ram Eco-Diesel is getting the 28 MPG, the 5.7 Hemi is 19.8 and the Chevy 5.3 is 19.2.
It will look bad, very bad if the new F-150 2.7 EB gets worse MPG than that!

I am in the market for a new truck but I will sit back and wait for another year and watch the people that own one, make them the scapegoats and see if they really get that great gas mileage or not. If I was buying a new truck today it would be the Ram 1500 ( I get a $750/month new truck allowance and that money is burning a hole thru my pocket )

You people that go out an buy the new 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 EB will be VIP's you'll be very important everybody will want to hear from you, you will be famous! So please keep us informed and fill us in of every detail including your real gas mileage numbers.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 AM
IJAZ FAHTED
New User
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
If you want the site for news on any vehicle go here:
CarComplaints.com | Car Problems, Car Complaints, & Repair/Recall Information

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 AM
IJAZ FAHTED
New User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
With the extensive use of aluminum, I'd hope for at least 500 lbs of weight loss, but I do remember all the hubbub about the new 2011 Explorer. The 2010 model was body on frame, old engineering, etc. The new one was to be an efficient unit body to save weight. I will grant that the 2011 is larger, but the net weight loss was about 70 lbs. as I recall. (I was expecting 500 lbs although Ford didn't announce any figures early on.)

George
George? Here is what I can't understand, see if you can help me understand!
For the past 21 years the F-150 was the #1 best selling pickup, they sold twice as many pickups as Ram and Chevy combined.
If their current design of the F-150 was successful why are they making drastic changes?
I say Ford made a mistake going with turbo and engine changes and they are stuck with it so they now have to make changes to the body and the rest of the truck to cover up the changes on the engines. Its a catch 22 scenario.
whata think?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
If you're referring to mileage numbers I'll take that bet!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by IJAZ FAHTED
well said!
you're right! I remember back in 2010 a year before the 3.5 EB was released Ford was advertising 22 MPG.
Now only a few months before the 2015 comes to the dealers Ford is very quiet not releasing any MPG numbers.
You're right, I bet Ford is in panic behind the scenes cause its not getting the great MPG.
The 2014 Ram Eco-Diesel is getting the 28 MPG, the 5.7 Hemi is 19.8 and the Chevy 5.3 is 19.2.

I am in the market for a new truck but I will sit back and wait for another year and watch the people that own one, make them the scapegoats and see if they really get that great gas mileage or not. If I was buying a new truck today it would be the Ram 1500 ( I get a $750/month new truck allowance and that money is burning a hole thru my pocket )

You people that go out an buy the new 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 EB will be VIP's you'll be very important everybody will want to hear from you, you will be famous! So please keep us informed and fill us in of every detail including your real gas mileage numbers.
For the past 21 years the F-150 was the #1 best selling pickup, they sold twice as many pickups as Ram and Chevy combined.
If their current design of the F-150 was successful why are they making drastic changes?
I say Ford made a mistake going with turbo and engine changes and they are stuck with it so they now have to make changes to the body and the rest of the truck to cover up the changes on the engines. Its a catch 22 scenario.
whata think?
Where are your facts? I would suggest getting a new truck, not an F-150 as you clearly have a bone to pick and certainly not a Ram or GM. Get something that is actually American made like the F-150 and go for the Tundra.

WOW! People buy something that is shaped like a brick, geared to tow and then get pissed when the MPG's reflect a towing machine.

I've said 100's of time, if a person wants MPG's from a 4x4 truck, then be sensible and get a properly geared truck. I would hope that a person who bought a truck to pull an RV would do his research and buy the right set up, ie Max Tow. Why is it so hard to understand that a commuter should be spec'd out the same way?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well said!

^^^^^ This!

One of the problems with the mileage figures released by our benevolent government is that they are not derived from actually real world testing. They are computer simulations ( I mean how difficult is it to run a vehicle around a dedicated test track for a few laps??)
Anyway, virtually all gas engines will not really get their rated mileage while most Diesel engines will exceed their ratings. As an example, last month I bought a jeep grand Cherokee diesel ( with the same 3.0l diesel as the ram) and am averaging 28 mpg in mixed driving and am getting 30 mpg on the highway which is about 2 mpg better than the ratings.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
whata think?
CAFE fuel requirements are increasing and all manufacturers are in the position of having to make changes in anticipation of the new requirements. The new Explorer ended up heavier than I thought, but it does have more room inside and is better suited to what people will buy.

Ford is taking a risk, but they have done this before with cars like the Taurus (which was a great success). I don't think Ford is "covering up" anything. The final CAFE mileage figures will have to be based on running the test sequence with the final engine calibrations, truck weight, etc. They are not done yet. The mileage will not be incredibly higher than the current trucks, but will be a bit better.

If you are nervous about the turbo engines, don't buy one. Your user name doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in serious adult conversation and doesn't make me want to buy a used truck from you...

Take care,
George

Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 AM
IJAZ FAHTED
New User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge

If you are nervous about the turbo engines, don't buy one. Your user name doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in serious adult conversation and doesn't make me want to buy a used truck from you...

Take care,
George
yea! I am nervous about any turbo, my former Freightliner Sprinter van the turbo would fail once a year 15 to 20K miles at a cost of $2600, past Subaru's with turbo's melted the engines down, I also know about the Ford diesel turbo that pumps 3500 PSI or engine oil and when a tiny o-ring fails that high pressure oil goes into the intake of the engine.
Ram Truck Owners get more respect!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
If someone wanted a truck for towing and was geared that way and its a 4x4 they could always buy a Gear Vendors splitter so when they are not towing they can use the double OD. Works great with 4.10s and lower.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
2015er
Junior User
2.7 mileage

I think the 2.7 for a 4x4 with an extended cab Lariat will get 19 city and 26 highway

Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I dont think its gonna beat the eco diesel, But i think it will be very close and be a great selling point that it will be (hopefully) a cheaper engine option that along with cheaper fuel and cheaper maintenance costs will make it more affordable than the eco diesel.

Quick Reply: What is the mpg of the 2.7???