Sponsored by: Moser

Factory bed topper parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory bed topper parts?

Can you still get parts for factory bed toppers? I have the option of buying a factory topper with sliding windows that the owner claims everything works on it he even says he has the key for it. I ask though because I'm worried about the windows weather stripping and that it might be dried out and cracked and that the pistons on the rear window may be soft so does anyone know if you can still get parts or if there are any interchangeable parts from other ford toppers?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
I doubt that an old topper like that will have those "piston" cylinders like today's car hoods, aft hatch backs ect...

More like you lift it up by hand and each side has a 2 piece slide channel and one side had a gravity lock. You had to lift up a bit and hold the lever then by hand let it back down. If I remember right that was how on my dads 1973.

I do not know about where to get new seals, but I would imagine that they are nothing fancy and some newer topper places might have window seal material.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any auto body shop could help, there are plenty of seals that you can't get from the factory anymore, but there is always a universal option to try.
And with a little trial and error I'm sure you could put some gas shocks onto the topper.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I doubt that an old topper like that will have those "piston" cylinders like today's car hoods, aft hatch backs ect...

More like you lift it up by hand and each side has a 2 piece slide channel and one side had a gravity lock. You had to lift up a bit and hold the lever then by hand let it back down. If I remember right that was how on my dads 1973.
That's good to know. I just assumed it had those shock systems in them for raising the rear window.

Robertcoupe: I'll check with some autobody shops. I didn't think about those universal kits. My mind always goes to trying to find NOS parts first and I forget to look into other options usually.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM
John R. Thomas
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Very Interesting…..I have a pair of newish weatherstrips for the side windows of
a Ford cap. I also have a pair of deluxe sliding windows with screens…ALL FOR SALE
The intent was to install the deluxe windows on my standard cap. In the process of
removing the old standard windows, the edge of the fiberglass chipped off. A great idea
that was not so great. I live in Waukesha Wi, a burb of Milwaukee.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by John R. Thomas
Very Interesting…..I have a pair of newish weatherstrips for the side windows of
a Ford cap. I also have a pair of deluxe sliding windows with screens…ALL FOR SALE
The intent was to install the deluxe windows on my standard cap. In the process of
removing the old standard windows, the edge of the fiberglass chipped off. A great idea
that was not so great. I live in Waukesha Wi, a burb of Milwaukee.
I know Waukesha, A cousin of mine is dating a girl from there, he's been in college in Milwaukee. If I buy this topper I might send you a message depending on the condition of it.

How much do you guys think a factory deluxe topper is worth? The guy says it needs a power wash since it has been sitting so long. He's asking $350 for it.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 PM
John R. Thomas
More Turbo
$350. is a ton of $$$ for a weathered topper. I've bought a pair for $100ea.
I have a deluxe one in my back yard that needs a roof repair + a lift gate that needs repair in addition to the newish window weatherstrips.
Where are you? I want you to see what I have. It may be junk to you or gold. It's cheap.
Email me at jrtljt031648@att.net

Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by John R. Thomas
$350. is a ton of $$$ for a weathered topper. I've bought a pair for $100ea.
I have a deluxe one in my back yard that needs a roof repair + a lift gate that needs repair in addition to the newish window weatherstrips.
Where are you? I want you to see what I have. It may be junk to you or gold. It's cheap.
Email me at jrtljt031648@att.net
That's what I was thinking about it. Only thing is around here anything to do with any older vehicle seems to be more than anywhere else. I didn't get to call him today but I'm going to try and talk him down and see what he says. I'll shoot you an email.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM
speaser
New User
i have a topper off of a 78 f150 in perfect shape that I would like to sell cheap. believe it came originally on this truck. has light in it that is molded in to roof. im looking for an offer. I am south of Madison Wisconsin. would be more than willing to part with, is actually on truck yet. im afraid if I take off it will get damaged. only down part is it is crème colored but that is only paint. any body out there that would want it I hate to have it get damaged then it is worth nothing to anybody. I will try to check back on this thread to see if anybody is interested.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM
John R. Thomas
More Turbo
Thanks for the lead. However, mine is ok. I bought a 2nd one just for the lift gate.
However, the guy above me from Dear River, Minn. needs one. Neither of his trucks are on the road at this time. These two need to get together.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 AM
19-F250-78
Senior User
I ended up finding a factory 78 out near Duluth for $150. Took two weeks for the guy to switch over the window trim to the later style which worked great since I sold my mustang and bought a 93 f250 that the topper would fit on. Picked it up over the weekend and got it mounted on my 78.

I'm trying to decide what I want to do about painting it when I get to that point (have to finish the body work on my 78 first...) It'll either be the white color with a brown strip along the recessed area near the compass and along the bottom or the same but with a matching yellow instead of white. If anyone is good at photoshop and would like to photoshop those ideas I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice topper! I would leave that topper just as it is.

I know you've got an unusual color combo with the yellow and brown, but seeing that white topper on your truck makes me think that your truck would really look great if everything that is now dark brown, was repainted Wimbledon white.

David

Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
John R. Thomas
More Turbo
I agree. You found a good deal close to home. Ref. the colors: Paint the front of the
topper brown following the curving of the mold. The remainder either leave white or
paint it yellow. Question: Are the colors on the truck the factory colors?

I still have a pair of the deluxe sliding windows w/screens and new gaskets without a home here in Waukesha Wi.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM
shehan
Senior User
Here is a side shot with mine... it will give you an idea of the color/combo with the stripe.

Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM
shehan
Senior User
back side shot... right after paint! I almost had the cab roof painted copper metallic to match the hood and line of the cap (so the top half is all copper metallic)... still mulling it over.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Factory bed topper parts?