1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ceramic coated 51 grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:08 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ceramic coated 51 grille

Anyone ever had a grill ceramic coated instead of chromed? My 51 F1 will be painted black "suede" and has red steelies with SS caps and rings - thinking that the hood arrows and grill and Ford script on the leading edge of the hood would look nice ceramic coated like headers. I've heard that this polishes up rather nicely and I have a friend in the business who will coat the parts at a good price. Potentially MUCH cheaper than chrome plating. Any thoughts from the FTE crowd? You guys always have good advice and I've learned a lot just reading through the past threads. Many thanks!

Old 07-07-2003, 11:18 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
ceramic coated 51 grille

Welcome to FTE oli! You mean your going to Jet-Hot a Front grill? Cool. It would indeed look cool. I mean could you get the same look with paint and some airbrushing? I think the coating would look the best and would have a unique reflection like nothing else. Since your friend can do it for a good price I say go for it(I just wanna see the end result). Would you do all the trim(door handles, bumpers etc.)? Your truck would be one of a kind. -4speed

Old 07-07-2003, 03:25 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
ceramic coated 51 grille

4-speed, I've also got my friend working on an old Edmunds 2X2 manifold and some other bits and pieces from the flatty V-8 (radiator pipes, water inlets, generator mount etc) and was just "pondering" getting the grill and hood trim coated. Thought it would be different and a lot less expensive than chrome and thought it might look good with a "flat" black paint job. You've inspired me to go ahead and have it done. The coating is very much like the Jet Hot but from what I've seen if you do a little prep work on the metal it can be buffed to a pretty high gloss - kind of like suede crhome if you will.

My truck (license plate PHAT 51) is a weekend driver (well was before I pulled the gas tank out of it to move it aft) and definitely a work in progress. I've owned it about a year and I guess I'm resto-rodding at a snails pace but I'm having fun with it and truly enjoying the process. Thanks and I'll send some pictures when it's worth looking at!

Old 07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
ceramic coated 51 grille

All right!! This I can't wait to see. You'll get alot of people asking what you had done to your emblems! Thats cool your even doing the intake and motor. Lets see, you can get the mirriors, wheels, interior pieces..... Ok Ok you have to draw the line somewhere. Again keep us informed as I want to see this!! -4speed